What notebook Hak.5 Recommends?

skuro

Dell makes some great notebooks, their XPS M1530, and M1330 are a great choice. I waited awhile to see what notebook I should get and ended up deciding on the m1330 for it's price/performance. Got it 2 weeks ago with a really nice LED screen, 2.2ghz Core 2 processor, and 4GB of memory... for well under $1500 USD.

I have had my MacBook Pro since early December and i love the thing, I've gotten so much use out of it ill probably need a new battery by summer-time.

If that isn't available (or you don't want to spend) i would check out the Dell XPS notebooks as aforementioned.

dell laptops have gotten better  but there still poorly made and their warranties suck

if you get one, make sure you can find replacement parts as many of them tend to fail when the warranty ends

Bullshit. My Dell got dropped at a party by my drunken flatmate, trashing the HD and mobo. I phoned up Dell support in the evening after the party and told them what happened. At 09:05 am the next morning I was woken by Dell service engineer at  my door apologizing for being late. He replaced pretty much everything but the upper case & screen and was on his way by 09:40 am. 2 years later and its still going strong. Try getting Apple to do that.

dell laptops have gotten better  but there still poorly made and their warranties suck

if you get one, make sure you can find replacement parts as many of them tend to fail when the warranty ends

Bullshit. My Dell got dropped at a party by my drunken flatmate, trashing the HD and mobo. I phoned up Dell support in the evening after the party and told them what happened. At 09:05 am the next morning I was woken by Dell service engineer at  my door apologizing for being late. He replaced pretty much everything but the upper case & screen and was on his way by 09:40 am. 2 years later and its still going strong. Try getting Apple to do that.

apple doesnt give that kind of support, when many people complained about the screens of the imac, apple denied  it and delete any forum post on their site about it

for me some of the older dell laptops like the dell inspron 8600  and other models like that would run into hardware problems and they will usually happen when the warranty was gone

but when the warranty is  still going,  you will generally get good service

Alienware

Expensive, lumps of garish plastic with 3 minute battery life and pointlessly overpowered components?

Well, each to their own I guess...

'tis my dream to own a lump of garnish plastic with a 3 minute battery life, my current one has a 30 second battery life...