alienware...DARREN

superunknown

My Dell is great, 12" screen, P-M 1.4Ghz, 640mb ram, 1yr 24hr onsite repair (got dropped at a party, called them at 4pm, 9am the next day it was fixed) less than £600...

Aye, a computer, at the end of the day, is a computer. As long as it can do what you want it to do, go wild with your brandnames, don't be lured by the call of elitism that many geeks have nowadays about Dell computers being the spawn of satan, 'cause it's almost guarenteed that these same people will be using things they rant against.

I'm currently using a Sony Vaio, brought from PC world, tweaked by myself, and it can do anything I ask of it.

Well certain manufacturers really are crap. Packard Bell for one.

Edit: Also PC World are crap, my friend bought a PC from them on the assurance that it had an AGP 8x slot (since he already had an AGP GFX card he wanted to use) I open up the case to install the card for him, and what do I see there? A PCI Express slot.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that Alienware is just a glorified Dell. Alienware is being run as a separate, yet wholly owned, company. Dell hasn't owned the thing long enough to even have any trickle-down effects on the products.

Keep in mind that Dell is a popular make of computer, and with that popularity is going to be more frequently heard reports of issues. On top of that, Dell can get the cheap prices that people scream about by cutting the support costs.

Buy whatever machine you want that can do what you ask of it, regardless of brand. It only has to please you.

Don't put my name in the topic unless it's directed towards me. I see Alienware DARREN and I get all excited thinking we just landed a new sponsor or I'm getting a free laptop :(

You just made a vidcaster cry. I hope your happy!!!

*not sober alert*

But seriously, if your not building it yourself just go with whatever suits you and is in your budget and will last a few upgrades.

if its a gaming rig you want I would suggest building it yourself, youll get the same stuff for less money. if its just a machine for general use or you dont trust yourself with building it and dont have any friends expierienced with building then just go dell or something else known for having fair service. alienware is way overpriced and most prebuilts are similar in quality

Well certain manufacturers really are crap. Packard Bell for one.

Edit: Also PC World are crap, my friend bought a PC from them on the assurance that it had an AGP 8x slot (since he already had an AGP GFX card he wanted to use) I open up the case to install the card for him, and what do I see there? A PCI Express slot.

I hate a similar experience. My friend had one that on the front had "AGP Graphics". What did it have? 1 PCI slot...that's it.

Most Alienware PC's are very good powerful things, although you they do charge a premiun for there name.

I surggest building your own if you want a gaming machine, you get exacly want you want and its userally cheaper which is always a good thing.

If you have the money though and dont want to build one, to have alienware machine always sounds good, lol. :lol:

Now, I've never had the privilege of testing one myself, but I read every review that was posted on the web for awhile about anything alienware. Rumor has it that, while pretty (and oh man are they pretty), they were also (a) overpriced, (b) too damned bulky to carry around, and © not that much of a performance boost compared to similar muscle cars from Dell, HP, Sony, what have you.

Most of my systems are basically crap that I've tweaked to do what I want them to do. I say, go for a mid-range system and spend the difference on perks because (a) you're going to mod it anyway, so it doesn't matter how pretty it is and (b) since you're going to be showing it off to your friends, now you'll get to brag about all the stuff you did yourself instead of the overpriced crap you bought off the shelf.

</rant>