alienware...DARREN

superunknown

screw a laptop

there heavy, short battery life, and crappy graphics.

"oh but i use to take notes, watch power rangers on the bus" whatever else u can come up with. as far as the notes get a digital recorder costs way less and u can fall asleep and u didnt miss a thing.

i know that im gonna get flamed from the pro laptop users but c'mon

if it cant wait till you get home or cant fit on a cell phone ( God help us) what is it worth

my opinion stands for users not techs or anyone where ther job require access to the internet or sol.exe

why not blow that cash on this

http://www.dell.com/html/us/products/renegade/renegade.html

edited to add this

war driving is cool and the only way i can think of where a laptop would be worth the cash

flame away...

screw a laptop

there heavy, short battery life, and crappy graphics.

"oh but i use to take notes, watch power rangers on the bus" whatever else u can come up with. as far as the notes get a digital recorder costs way less and u can fall asleep and u didnt miss a thing.

i know that im gonna get flamed from the pro laptop users but c'mon

if it cant wait till you get home or cant fit on a cell phone ( God help us) what is it worth

my opinion stands for users not techs or anyone where ther job require access to the internet or sol.exe

why not blow that cash on this

http://www.dell.com/html/us/products/renegade/renegade.html

edited to add this

war driving is cool and the only way i can think of where a laptop would be worth the cash

flame away...

Ummm.... I use mine for photoshop/work and I'm not a tech, that way I can have a useful set of tools on the go. Plus I actually use email on a day to day basis. But gamming laptops... never seen the point, how in the hell can you play a game on a laptop keyboard without fatal wrist cramp?

A packard bell was the first x86 computers i had (priviusly had an amega). It wasn't all that bad. Packard bell now suck, if you want to reinstall windows on your crapard bell, if you read the manual to tell you how to do this it says "Run this program to creatre a recovary CD" (or some thing to that effect) even if you don't have a CD writer... in that instance you have to pay crapard bell to send you one...

alienware laptops are pretty cool...I mean they are heavy, large and have a short battery life...and are good for about 1-2 years then are obsolite because you cant really do much to upgrade a laptop...but they are shinny so thats cool..

dont listen to me Im very bias on this. I dont like "gaming" laptops or paying so much for a comp I can build for half the cost.

edit: ok i havent looked at alienware since before dell had a gaming line and their prices have come down considerably since then you can actually make a somewhat reasonably priced computer if you try now....kinda

I used to build my own computers, but just got bored with it. When my last notebook, appropriately named The Little Notebook That Could, decided to kick the bucket, it wasn't even a question of Notebook or Desktop.

I chose a Dell XPS M170 after the experiences my boyfriend has had with his XPS Gen2, which is practically identical. It does what I want, and more. It's upgradable, has a kick-ass display and looks dead sexy. I like notebooks not for their ability to work on the move, but for the convenience of taking my entire system to wherever I'm going. Not necessarily to be used in between.

Notebooks are not the sluggish, Office App-only boxes they used to be.

I really resent the lack of upgradability in laptops.

I mean, I've been using the same video card (I'm not a gamer), sound card, network adapter, SCSI adapter and case for YEARS now. When I upgrade, it's typically just the mobo, CPU and memory. So for something like 300 bucks I can once again have a kick-ass system.

When you have a laptop, you can't upgrade that way. I have a work laptop, but I rarely need that functionality on the go anyways. In 8 years I've used it *ONCE* outside my normal workplaces (during some disgustingly stupid play they were doing. I said to hell with this, whipped out the laptop and started DOING something with my time. It was not highly appreciated :twisted:).

Since I rarely upgrade things like the case, I don't mind spending the extra dime on getting a solid, pretty one when I do want to replace it.

• 5 weeks later...
I really resent the lack of upgradability in laptops.

I mean, I've been using the same video card (I'm not a gamer), sound card, network adapter, SCSI adapter and case for YEARS now. When I upgrade, it's typically just the mobo, CPU and memory. So for something like 300 bucks I can once again have a kick-ass system.

video card are upgradable on laptop ( it's true it's not cheap but I wish you know what you want )

and most of parts are now interne USB connection like scsi devices ... the only one I've never seen upgradable is sound and network card but you know i don't buy a network adapater every day. just choose a nice laptop. I've got a 1GHz ethernet controller and work's fine to me . It's true that I may want to change my sound card but you can make an internal usb device connection : You just have to mod the box of your laptop ^^

video card are upgradable on laptop ( it's true it's not cheap but I wish you know what you want )

and most of parts are now interne USB connection like scsi devices ... the only one I've never seen upgradable is sound and network card but you know i don't buy a network adapater every day. just choose a nice laptop. I've got a 1GHz ethernet controller and work's fine to me . It's true that I may want to change my sound card but you can make an internal usb device connection : You just have to mod the box of your laptop ^^

Very very very few laptops have upgradable graphics, because both ATi and nVidia have there own solutions which have never really been implemented in laptops. 99.9% of laptops have graphcis, sound and networking built into the motherboard and there is no way of upgrading them.

As for you ideas about using internal USB, no laptop that I have come across has had internal USB headers, mainly because it would cost the manufacturer more and they would never be used. Also most of the parts arn't USB as they use PCI connection on the same board to transfer data.

Also I think you mean 1Gbps ethernet adaptor not 1GHz.

Also I would like to see you try and fit anything extra inside a laptop without removing something, because there certainly isn't any room inside for anything that is designed to be external. Also thats what its supposed to be external!

1) Ok it's true that nvidia and ATI don't have the same socket.

2) My CDROM drive and my multimedia drive SD-MD is USB

3) Yes I made a mistake for ethernet device 1Gbps :? 'euh'

4)They are some space in my latop ( I've already disassembled It twice to clean the dust ).It's because of the standarisation of there main board and the box see ASPIRE 1510 to 1515

PS: It's true that it's more a transportable computer than an autonome one 30min up to 1h on batery. (ACER ASPIRE 1513LMI).I live in 3 towns, I'm not gonna buy 3 computers.

It's complete computer I have a 7200rpm hrd disque ,and over 1Go of ram. I can play My favorite game CSS, warcarft3.

My CDROM drive and my multimedia drive SD-MD is USB

I would seriously doubt that your CDROM drive in your laptop is USB, mainly because this would cause some problems with booting off it and it would have to be a very new laptop seeming Bioses have only just been supporting booting off a USB device.

I think that you don't know much about computers and can't tell that it is a slim IDE interface.

10312.jpg

odd-mont.jpg

Those are some images to show you.

If there is any room in your laptop, it would suspect if of being for air flow and would recommend against putting stuff in it.

I'll have a look to night for my cd rom but I remember an 8pin connection.

My bios boot on Usb !!

At least there is my multimedia device in internal USB!!

I think that the space behind my mutimedia device is not only for air flow it might be for changing the device like a 1.44MB Internal 3.5-inch Floppy Disk Drive.

PS: sorry it's true that I'm quite new in laptops,

but during 6month I was in charge of the global IT configuration for an entire Altran group subsidiary while they restructure there computer park.

I've learned alot during this periode but I'm not an expert.