LAN Detection

joker5893

I should prolly rephrase my question seeing how it made no sense this morning cuz i wasn't up yet. So i have this guy that keeps connecting to my wireless and i want to be able to see when he connects like in real time. I know i should just secure my wireless but i'm too lazy right now.

ZoneAlarm firewall, will tell you about any incoming and outgoing connections.

Not if the requests are made to the router and not his pc. ZoneAlarm only shows logs forwarded from the router that will pertain to his IP address.

As far as I know, you would have to be logged onto the router and check DHCP connections under the router status panel. Depending on what router you have these will be in differnt places, but you could write a little html to logon to the router and refresh the stats page every so many seconds and you could then see when he logs on.

Or, if you ave a browser like Opera, leave that DHCP Status page open and use the auto refresh page function built into the browser. It will update it based on the time you tell it to check. Then just check it to see when someone else logs on.

dhcpstats.jpg

This is an example of my routers stat page and it can be set to refresh at the intervals set by Opera.

ZoneAlarm firewall, will tell you about any incoming and outgoing connections.

Not if the requests are made to the router and not his pc. ZoneAlarm only shows logs forwarded from the router that will pertain to his IP address.

As far as I know, you would have to be logged onto the router and check DHCP connections under the router status panel. Depending on what router you have these will be in differnt places, but you could write a little html to logon to the router and refresh the stats page every so many seconds and you could then see when he logs on.

Or, if you ave a browser like Opera, leave that DHCP Status page open and use the auto refresh page function built into the browser. It will update it based on the time you tell it to check. Then just check it to see when someone else logs on.

dhcpstats.jpg

This is an example of my routers stat page and it can be set to refresh at the intervals set by Opera.

this right here is why to sniff for the local IP and then set your own IP so you wont show up in the dhcp table

Does anyone know of a program that will alert you real time that someone is getting an IP address of your router.

If your on Windows I remember that a app called Look@LAN can be set to continuously scan your network, every time something new appears a alarm goes off, I think it can also email you.

this right here is why to sniff for the local IP and then set your own IP so you wont show up in the dhcp table

I am on a wired ethernet connection, not wireless. If you know a way to hide from a direct connection to the router while still able to have internet access, I would be glad to know. ;)

Just use nmap and then have it scan for new IP's on the LAN.

nmap -sP <IP range>

this will give you a list of the IP' s in the range and there MAC address. So you could take it a step further and run namp in a script parse the outpu and report via email or something any macs that should not be on the LAN.

Another thing you could do is parse your DHCP log.

this right here is why to sniff for the local IP and then set your own IP so you wont show up in the dhcp tablethis right here is why to sniff for the local IP and then set your own IP so you wont show up in the dhcp table

I have Static DHCP set up so they would have to sniff my MAC address to, and change their comp. name.