need to hack a laptop

degoba

So in our unix lab at school we have these old ass laptops running windows xp. Our instructor said that he will give a 20 percent increase to the grade of anyone who can get access to the filesystem of the laptop, or get admin access, and boot up windows..

Ok here is the trick though. We need to use a bootable floppy to do this. These computers do not have cdrom drives on them.. any suggestions?

You only need a Linux floppy, vi and the C:WindowsSystem32ConfigSAM file. Overwrite the Adminhash and save everything (Make a backup of the SAM). Then boot Windows and change the password.

Sorry, this may seem a dumb, very dumb comment, but if all you need to do is to access the file system, then why don't you try the obvious and see if the lappy'd load a DOS boot disc from the floppy drive? Surely this would get you into DOS, and thus give you access to the filesystem, if not the files themselves...

lol sorry. USB is out as well. The class is a computer forensics class. Using a usb jumpdrive would be almost no different from using a cd. The idea of the exercise is to use a bootable floppy. The point behind it is that yes it is easy to gain access to windows xp with any number of bootable cdroms. It is much harder when you are limited to a few megabytes.

Anyways what the instructor said was get administrator access. Some other people i the class have said that we only need to get access to the filesystem. I am going to try to do both. I should also mention that these laptops are connected to the school network so you login via novell netware. We need to get local admin acccess to the machine. Thanks for the feedback guys. I will be sorting through all of these options and writing some floppies.

*nnnnnnn* so easy, want a laptop, too :(

i had a programm for floppy whick cracked the admin hash automaticly. There are more of this progys as you think ( for floppy ).

So, lets go though what you need (prefrably), another computer, prefrably an ultra porable laptop, a switch (battary powered if you can hack it to do that, it only has to be working for a short time, probably an hour at most). Have the laptop pre configured wiht your DHCP server and connected to the switch. Plug the target computer directly into your switch, turn it on, boot from your server... I think you can probably work the rest out, may be.

VaKo may be on to something if the situation were somewhat different. With the simplicity and circumstances of this hack, I don't believe there would be anthing more that degoba could get out of the professor.

Also, has anyone considered the fact that because this is a computer forensics class and the EC at stake here is 20%, that obviously there must be something about this these laptops that will create hell for the students in attempting to get in, copy the hash, and decrypt? My only suggestion who be to hack the LAN as booting from linux and trying to copy the has would be quite difficult as you may not have enough space on the disk in the first place.

Here are a few articles that may or may not be of some use. I havn't tried any them step by step though as I'm a college student - and I don't want to risk being expelled - and I had enough fun does this stuff back in high school. And these involve hacking the network if I remember correctly, so I'm not responsible for anything you do. Good luck.

http://www.informationleak.net/school.txt

http://www.totse.com/en/hack/hacking_lans_...hool168941.html

Torture could work.

Just a thought, though you could probably get all the information you need, with a chair, some rope, an abandoned warehouse, some gasoline, a cut-throat razorblade, a tuxedo, and a radio playing K-billy's Super Sounds of the Seventies.

As I said. Just a thought.

How does the Novell login change things? Our university uses a similar setup on there libary system, and I always wondered if the XP logon/account wasn't used in the same way as a out-the-box setup.