AWUS036ACM & MK7

Johnny network

Have the same problem with connecting recommended ac USB adapter AWUS036ACM.

However do not see the additional wlan interface.

lsusb shows it correct but iwconfig does not.

Bus 001 Device 006: ID 0bda:8812 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8812AU 802.11a/b/g/n/ac 2T2R DB WLAN Adapter

What could be the issue ?

On 10/16/2020 at 8:44 AM, Just_a_User said:

AWUS036ACM is made from MediaTek MT7612U chipset, and AWUS036ACH is designed with Realtek RTl8812AU chipset.

Sounds like a fake/rebrand, try to return it maybe.

According to the MK7 compatible 802.11ac adapters page https://docs.hak5.org/hc/en-us/articles/360054071133-Compatible-802-11ac-adapters the MT7612U should work fine especially when using the AWUSo36ACM as it specifically listed as compatible hardware on the HAK5 site.

On 10/16/2020 at 1:33 PM, baudy2 said:

Have the same problem with connecting recommended ac USB adapter AWUS036ACM.

However do not see the additional wlan interface.

lsusb shows it correct but iwconfig does not.

Bus 001 Device 006: ID 0bda:8812 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8812AU 802.11a/b/g/n/ac 2T2R DB WLAN Adapter

What could be the issue ?

3 minutes ago, EdwardNygma said:

According to the MK7 compatible 802.11ac adapters page https://docs.hak5.org/hc/en-us/articles/360054071133-Compatible-802-11ac-adapters the MT7612U should work fine especially when using the AWUSo36ACM as it specifically listed as compatible hardware on the HAK5 site.

This device is not an AWUS036ACM. As Just_A_User correctly pointed out, the 8812AU is the chipset used in the ACH, and other unsupported adapters.

An AWUS036ACM will have an MT7612U inside of it, That specific adapter can be identified in lsusb easily as the PID is "7612".

@Foxtrot ... I seem to be mistaken.  The original posting here was a question regarding connecting the MK7 and AWUSO36ACM which does indeed use the MT7612U chipset and is listed on the compatible 802.11ac adapters page for the MK7.  I thought it was strange that the 8812AU was being brought into the conversation and was trying to clarify that the original poster @Johnny network is attempting to use the correct adapter according to the product information.  I realize now that @baudy2 was referring to the AWUSO36ACM while mentioning a different chip that just doesn't add up so @Just_a_User is correct, @baudy2 either got a knockoff adapter or is referencing the wrong adapter in the instance more than one adapter is connected to their system.  

36 minutes ago, EdwardNygma said:

@Foxtrot ... I seem to be mistaken.  The original posting here was a question regarding connecting the MK7 and AWUSO36ACM which does indeed use the MT7612U chipset and is listed on the compatible 802.11ac adapters page for the MK7.  I thought it was strange that the 8812AU was being brought into the conversation and was trying to clarify that the original poster @Johnny network is attempting to use the correct adapter according to the product information.  I realize now that @baudy2 was referring to the AWUSO36ACM while mentioning a different chip that just doesn't add up so @Just_a_User is correct, @baudy2 either got a knockoff adapter or is referencing the wrong adapter in the instance more than one adapter is connected to their system.  

Correct I have the AWUS036ACM with chip set MT7612U. I can confirm that it is the correct card and I can see it in USB and in as wlan3. I still cannot see 5ghz network when I run the pineap.

Hi I am in the same position as 'Johnny Network', I have an AWUS036ACM with definitely has the MT7612U chipset and appears as wlan3.

I am guessing wlan1 is used by Recon as I can see it in promiscuous mode wlan1mon

I think the question both 'Johnny network' and I have is --- How do we use wlan3 for recon ?

I am guessing the response will be something like, use the command line and put wlan3 into promiscuous mode (maybe airmon-ng start wlan3, after airmon-ng check kill)

But, how do we convince recon to use wlan3mon instead of wlan1mon ? i've tried the above and stopping wlan1mon (airmon-ng stop wlan1mon) to no avail.

And, how do we do whatever needs to be done automatically (or even manually after boot)

Fingers crossed

Keith

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2020 at 11:31 AM, Johnny network said:

Correct I have the AWUS036ACM with chip set MT7612U. I can confirm that it is the correct card and I can see it in USB and in as wlan3. I still cannot see 5ghz network when I run the pineap.

On 10/21/2020 at 2:48 AM, Cybersloth said:

Hi I am in the same position as 'Johnny Network', I have an AWUS036ACM with definitely has the MT7612U chipset and appears as wlan3.

I am guessing wlan1 is used by Recon as I can see it in promiscuous mode wlan1mon

I think the question both 'Johnny network' and I have is --- How do we use wlan3 for recon ?

I am guessing the response will be something like, use the command line and put wlan3 into promiscuous mode (maybe airmon-ng start wlan3, after airmon-ng check kill)

But, how do we convince recon to use wlan3mon instead of wlan1mon ? i've tried the above and stopping wlan1mon (airmon-ng stop wlan1mon) to no avail.

And, how do we do whatever needs to be done automatically (or even manually after boot)

Fingers crossed

Keith

I also have the AWUS036ACM. When you plug it into the Mk 7, does the blue light on the adapter light up? If so, did you have to do anything special to get the Mk 7 to detect/enable the adapter? When I plug my Mk 7 into my Mk 7, the blue light doesn't come on like it does when I plug it into a Windows 10 machine.

Sorry of this is silly question, but I just got my Mk 7 yesterday and had ordered the AWUS036ACM to use with it, so I'm in the process of learning the most basic stuff right now.

32 minutes ago, Darkon said:

I also have the AWUS036ACM. When you plug it into the Mk 7, does the blue light on the adapter light up? If so, did you have to do anything special to get the Mk 7 to detect/enable the adapter? When I plug my Mk 7 into my Mk 7, the blue light doesn't come on like it does when I plug it into a Windows 10 machine.

The driver, by default, does not enable the LED on the AWUS036ACM. You should verify that the adapter is seen by either going to the Settings page and confirming that it is listed in the USB Devices table, or by SSHing in and running `lsusb`.

24 minutes ago, Foxtrot said:

The driver, by default, does not enable the LED on the AWUS036ACM. You should verify that the adapter is seen by either going to the Settings page and confirming that it is listed in the USB Devices table, or by SSHing in and running `lsusb`.

Thanks Foxtrot...exactly the info I needed to confirm it is indeed working being seen by the Mk 7 (and understand why the LED was disabled).

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/26/2021 at 11:41 PM, michaelkrogstad said:

Just in case this hasn't been resolved, I got mine working - MK7 + AWUS036ACM - with the config file modifications below with the help of @Max_Plastix on Discord.image.png.2b8c631772e0f70c5348d88f8b75bbc9.png

I am stuck on this, on /etc/config/wireless:  do I create a new radio 3 and if so what are the options or do I just put the line optionifname 'wlan3' at the end of the file? is it any chance you could share the whole code on the etc/config/wireless ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2021 at 1:18 PM, kooliom said:

I am stuck on this, on /etc/config/wireless:  do I create a new radio 3 and if so what are the options or do I just put the line optionifname 'wlan3' at the end of the file? is it any chance you could share the whole code on the etc/config/wireless ?

I did not change anything in etc/config/wireless and it work 

On 2/24/2021 at 10:04 PM, jess4140 said:

I did not change anything in etc/config/wireless and it work 

'Yeah, I worked it out the other day I only changed the other lines and skipped the etc/config/wireless and it works fine, my PineAP recon is working on 2.4GHz as well as 5GHz like a charm

• 1 month later...

My Alfa AWUS036ACS does show up under USB devices (Realtek Semiconducttor Corp) as Device 007.

I know this is Realtek RTL8811AU but did anyone managed to make it work?

root@mk7:/pineapple# lsusb
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 148f:7601 Ralink Technology, Corp. MT7601U Wireless Adapter
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 148f:7601 Ralink Technology, Corp. MT7601U Wireless Adapter
Bus 001 Device 007: ID 0bda:0811 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. 
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 1a40:0101 Terminus Technology Inc. Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

On 1/26/2021 at 3:41 PM, michaelkrogstad said:

Just in case this hasn't been resolved, I got mine working - MK7 + AWUS036ACM - with the config file modifications below with the help of @Max_Plastix on Discord.image.png.2b8c631772e0f70c5348d88f8b75bbc9.png

can anyone make a short clip on how to do this. still learning

On 4/21/2021 at 7:00 PM, Deuce022 said:

can anyone make a short clip on how to do this. still learning

I have figured it out and got it working. I can see both 2.4 and 5 ghz in recon mode.  I was thinking about making a short video on how to do it because I haven’t found a step by step guide let me know if I should. 

On 1/26/2021 at 6:41 PM, michaelkrogstad said:

Thanks so much! You just saved me sooo much time!

On 4/23/2021 at 6:07 AM, Deuce022 said:

I have figured it out and got it working. I can see both 2.4 and 5 ghz in recon mode.  I was thinking about making a short video on how to do it because I haven’t found a step by step guide let me know if I should. 

Yes, please!

• 3 months later...

Archived