Best of Hak.5 DVD

Darren Kitchen

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been using Sony's DVD Architect 2.0, that came with Vegas 5.0 and have been really happy with it. It has tons of customization capabilities... like controlling what buttons on the DVD remote do, in other words it wouldn't be to hard to use it to make a hidden section of the dvd when the correct button on the remote was pushed (bring on the easter eggs) :D Plus if you are comfortable with sony vegas, which I think is what you have been using, then the DVD Architect realy flows well as far as controls and navigating through the program. If you have any questions about the software I would love the oputunity to try and help... I've made 2 DVDs using the Sony Vegas and DVD Architect... You'll have to forgive me but I also made 5 dvds with Pinacle Studio 9 :oops: I know it was a mistake but it was all I had available to me, so I dressed it up with photoshop to hide my lack of experience in knowing it wasn't the program to use. That said I hope you got the hint to STAY AWAY from Studio unless you want a big headache :)

Hope to hear from you guys,

PS - I love this, I was actually thinking about doing something like this with my AVI downloads of the show, but a mix from the original content would be better, Can't waite

Thanks,

Thanks for the tip. I'll be checking out both DVD Architect and DVDLabs. I have all the shows in 8-12GB NTSC DV AVI files. I hope DVD Architect will be able to transcode those to MPEG2 without problems.

I'm using Vegas 4.0 so I hope it will be compatible. I have had Vegas 6.0 available for many months but been reluctant to upgrade since I'm very comfortable with 4.0 and can quickly edit segments with it. Thoughts?

I would sugest encoding your avi files into mpg2 files with vegas... I've always done it this way so that I can see the mpg2 quality before deciding to burn it to dvd, plus if you plan on making chapters with in a clip working with the already compressed file will be less intensive on your pc (i.e. on my old system trying to insert chapters with large avi files in memory would bring my system almost to a complete hault :) ). When done this way the only thing architect has ever had to transcode is the audio stream. But if you really want to let Architect do the transcoding I don't see why it wouldn't work, other than possibly running extremly slow.

Feel free to ask if you have any other questions

Thanks again for HAK.5

I have another question... What size dvd do you plan on making? While the DL disk would definately offer a higher quality video, if you plan on putting more than 1 hour of content on the disk, and I'm also sure that many of us have DL capable drives, but I feel that probably a vast majority of us are almost strictly burning SL dvds... I don't burn DL myself because I don't think they are worth the added expense, so I definatly don't see me buying and burning DL disk to "give away", not trying to stur up problems so I invite all viewers to comment on this too. Do you want the extra quality of the less compressed DL or do you want the readily more available (typically more compatible with older DVD players) and slightly less quality because of higher compression, SL DVD.

I say SL DVD

but thats only me, so everyone needs to add their 2 cents on this

Thanks,

Thanks for the tip. I'll be checking out both DVD Architect and DVDLabs. I have all the shows in 8-12GB NTSC DV AVI files. I hope DVD Architect will be able to transcode those to MPEG2 without problems.

I'm using Vegas 4.0 so I hope it will be compatible. I have had Vegas 6.0 available for many months but been reluctant to upgrade since I'm very comfortable with 4.0 and can quickly edit segments with it. Thoughts?

Darren if you want my copy of Vegas Platinum I will send it too you. I freakin hate using Vegas!! It comes with the DVD thing(cant remember the name) and the Music thing too. In the freakin box from the store.

Seriously let me know if you want it.

I love the ideas for this DVD, and look forward to the official season 1 DVD... in the mean time, here's my thoughts on the 'best of' DVD (most of which have been said lol)

(imho) I think it should be SL,

bloopers are good, the microshaft minis are great, as is the realplayer interview, the evil server owns and I also love the slashdot patch short... all are worthy of DVD space :p

djoek's Hak.5 in 60 seconds idea could work well, would be cool to see that on there I think... (and the clickable pi symbol ;)) and having wallpapers and such would also be nice (though I'm sure it'd be quicker to get those from the site, but maybe DVD-only wallpapers?)

great idea to include hi-res cover art, I look forward to seeing what that's gonna look like!

arcade cab, buffer overflow w/beer, ipod laser, ep#8's 'dream' intro and the IPTV section... can't think of any more stuff right now, but I'm sure there's loads more XD...

cheers all, mloiotn

Edit: Just begun watching ep#3 - you have to include the harrison 'reading your email from norfolk, virginia' intro! - actually, why not just have all the intros? :D

Ah very good Vako!

Also available are other such similar tools... basically they allow your disc image to be used like a real CD or DVD... you can see it in My Computer and you can play it if it's a music CD or DVD or whatever or use it just like normal whatever kind of disc image it is actually...

Sorry if everyone knew, just making sure :)

That wasn't all that clear, was it? lol

While I understand wanting to put Hak.5's "best foot forward" don't get too caught up in putting in the best shot segments. What made Hak.5 great in the first place was the CONTENT--not the cinematography. ;)

Also, I think showing segments from the early episodes compared to recent ones can show how much the show has improved production-wise.

Just food for thought...