Best of Hak.5 DVD

Darren Kitchen

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on the target market for the DVD. Is it people who hack around with stuff, and are fairly well grounded computer wise? Or people who may not be quite there yet? To get the best of both worlds i'd put the more hardcore coding stuff towards the end of the disc, and start with the more flashy hardware stuff. That way its a nice introduction for our less geeky brethren, and still interesting for the more advanced amongst us.

Totally feeling you there. Ya know, that's the hardest thing to figure out. When we first started the show "target audience" wasnt in our vocabulary. Obviously as the show has evolved we're thinking about who our audience is and how the technical level of our content affects that and what not. I'd like to say that the show is for the everygeek. Even if you don't understand Ajax, or plan to ever ARP cache poision, or have a need to control your lights from a cellphone it's still a good geekout session.

And of course there are the casual geeks that tune in for the comedy, drama, etc.

Favorite Sketches

-Haxor Flakes

-Counterstrike trailer

Favorite Segments

-ARP Cache Poisoning

-RSS Alarm

-Beer Overflow

-Evil Server

-VNC SSH

-Pandora Timeshifting

...include the Hak.5 in 60 Secs bit as the opening...

I agree, that would make a pretty good opening segment.

Darren, I think this is a great idea.

The 'scratchpad' you put up on the first page looks almost perfect, but I have a few thoughts.

The whole Evil Server Saga (including the Valentines Day Special) was great, but I think it would confuse (and maybe even scare) people who don't already 'get' the show or know the characters. That's probably something that they can enjoy better once they're already into the show.

As I see it, a lot of people viewing this DVD will be new to the whole IPTV thing and won't get the TikiBar and PureTech skits so you could probably leave those out too.

Other than that it looks great. IMO, this is my 'absolutely essential' list, but the rest of what you have there is good too:

Segments:

RSS Alarm (ep3)

ARP Cache Poisoning (ep3)

Sandboxing (ep3.5)

Mini Arcade Cab (ep4 ep5)

VPN on XP (ep4)

Beer Overflow (ep4)

Steady Cam (ep4.5)

Laser Audio (ep6)

VNC remote install (ep6)

VNC SSH (ep7)

Pandora Timeshifting (ep8)

Sketches:

Hax0r Flakes

Counter-Strike Trailer

Christmas Special

Oh yeah, and I'm so excited for the extras I can hardly contain myself! :D

I agree that Hak5 in 60 seconds would be a great intro to the DVD. Also, a few 'extra' files on there might be nice: Hak.5 music (if you guys have the rights to do that), wallpapers, etc. Just stuff that people can grab from their computers off the DVD.

We're looking at LuLu.com for when we sell the Season One DVD, but for this, the "Best of Hak.5" free DVD iso we'll just throw it up on bit-torrent and include cover art.

My Sony Vegas came with DVD authoring software, which i havent even messed with, but could be an option. If not that find someone with FC Pro and all that fancy Apple DVD software. ;-)

It'd be cool if you could (with some crazy dvd authoring skills) use the whole scavenger hunt (for the poster) thing, where you play the clip and then its like multiple choice and when you get them all right you see some bonus footage (Like the "drunken hacker" segment that you put up on one of the stopping points)

some things not mentioned here:

The original "openers" the "I'm <insert name here> and you're watching Hack Point Five"

I would love a high res version of the original opening with the original music (I know copyright blah blah) but still it would be cool. I like the new opening music/video but the original was very Screensaversesq and worth preserving

other than that... I'd like to see an Easter egg or two (can't imagine people haven't said this yet)

keep up the good work.

actually, linux. but i can't say which distro. that info was disclosed in ep 7.5 (v-day special). but the evil server character has not finished developing. I'm sure we'll be seeing more of him in the near future.

And as for the easter egg hunt idea, I love it.

actually, linux. but i can't say which distro. that info was disclosed in ep 7.5 (v-day special). but the evil server character has not finished developing. I'm sure we'll be seeing more of him in the near future.

And as for the easter egg hunt idea, I love it.

ahh yes i just rewatched ep 7.5 so alli does say he runs linux :P