Best of Hak.5 DVD

Darren Kitchen

Ok so here's the deal guys. We're thinking of doing a "Best of Hak.5" DVD soon. The idea is that we'll put some of the most popular Hak.5 segments on it, as well as the really good skits, extended blooper reels, directors’ commentary, and some additional bonus material on it. This DVD will be offered as an ISO via Bit Torrent on our site. The DVD will be released under a creative commons license complete with high-res cover art and DVD label for those who want to make it pretty.

This way anyone can download the ISO, burn a few copies, and give it to their friends.

This will help us expand our audience in a grass roots kind of way while also giving me some experience doing DVD authoring (which I'll need since we will be doing a season 1 DVD packed with bonus features in the future).

Here's where you guys come in. I'm looking for feedback on the idea in general, DVD authoring software suggestions, and of course some input on which segments should make the cut.

I appreciate everyone’s feedback on this project and will find a way to "//MAD PROP" everyone who contributes to this thread on the DVD.

Thanks in advance,

Darren Kitchen

Producer / Co-Host, Hak.5

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bloopers would be fun, maybe also as an incentive some extra stuff.. fit for DVD only :shock: (get your head out the gutters guys ;) )

What I mean is maybe some extra skits on setting something up or something techy.

Definately bloopers :D

And cover art and stuff would be good, could burn and distribute it friends at school/LANs etc, so you'd want to make sure it contains the website URL, IRC info etc. so if people who get it haven't seen Hak.5, they know where to get more.

I like the whole grass roots idea, but I also think this might be a good opportunity to raise some funds, especially since you are already going to putting in a lot of time and effort into get it all edited and what not.

What do you think about offering the ISO on bittorrent, but also selling a hardcopy, at cost, plus $5-15 dollars? I think people might be interested in putting down some money for tangible content. I'm not sure how much work this would take though; it might not be worth it in the end.

As far as content that I'd like to see included goes, I'll give you the following suggestions:

* Particularly popular segments of your regularly scheduled programming (or all of it, if possible)

* Behind-the-scenes footage

* An assortment of "sketches"

* Video interviews of all of the members of Hak.5 just about who they are off the show

Hax0r flakes and purepwnage were the funniest skits so far i reckon.

I've only done a little bit of half-arsed DVD authoring.

Ifoedit is kinda hard to use and makes pretty basic dvds.

TMPG dvdauthor was a little better, it lets you make animated menu icons, and add your own backgrouds and stuff, but nothing really interesting.

Both were a pain in the arse though cos you have to convert all of your little clips into the proper mpeg2 format and then the program will process all that stuff seperately

But you're probably gonna wanna use something better than these

I like the whole grass roots idea, but I also think this might be a good opportunity to raise some funds, especially since you are already going to putting in a lot of time and effort into get it all edited and what not.

What do you think about offering the ISO on bittorrent, but also selling a hardcopy, at cost, plus $5-15 dollars? I think people might be interested in putting down some money for tangible content. I'm not sure how much work this would take though; it might not be worth it in the end.

As far as content that I'd like to see included goes, I'll give you the following suggestions:

* Particularly popular segments of your regularly scheduled programming (or all of it, if possible)

* Behind-the-scenes footage

* An assortment of "sketches"

* Video interviews of all of the members of Hak.5 just about who they are off the show

Ok, I think I need to clarify just a bit here.

We plan to do a BIG season one DVD in a few months which will include a TON of extra features (including behind-the-scenes, cast interviews, etc). That DVD set will be sold, probably on Amazon.com. That way we can make a little money and hopefully buy some additional cameras, lights, and set pieces.

This project is completely different. The idea is to release this within the next month completely for free. We'll throw in some exclusive material found nowhere else which will be an incentive to download and burn for your friends, but this is not the full blown season1 -- ton of bonus material -- thing.

I'm looking for some input on DVD authoring software, as well as which are your favorite segments.

Right now I'm thinking these segments would be good to include:

- ARP Cache Poising

- OSX on x86

- Arcade Cabinet

- RSS Alarm Clock

- Buffer Overflows with Beer

Maybe the Network VNC Install, VNC over SSH, or VPN Server on XP, Command Line XP SP2 Firewall, or Pandora Timeshifting.

So segments do you guys think should be included?

Oh, hidden camera in Alli's bedroom footage, especially the footage with her and the evil server.

Server/Human action. That sounds a little disturbing, and to be honest i think the internet is probably full of wierd suff like that.

*i'm too scared to go look though*

So far here's my scratch pad on this idea. I need to narrow down the segments and think up some more stuff to throw in extra features.

Segments:

OSX on x86 (ep2)

RSS Alarm (ep3)

ARP Cache Poisoning (ep3)

Sandboxing (ep3.5)

Mini Arcade Cab (ep4 ep5)

VPN on XP (ep4)

Beer Overflow (ep4)

Steady Cam (ep4.5)

Evil Server Saga (ep5 ep6)

Laser Audio (ep6)

VNC remote install (ep6)

CVS camera hack (ep7)

VNC SSH (ep7)

Pandora Timeshifting (ep8)

Sketches:

Hax0r Flakes

Slashdot Patch

Counter-Strike Trailer

Christmas Special

Switch Ad

Valentines Day Special

TikiBar TV Parody

Pure Tech Entertainment

Extras:

Techphile Interviews & Live Show

Episode 1, 2, and 3 directors commentary

I'll keep this thread posted on the development of this project and I'm reading all the feedback.

you need a lot of behind the scenes materal, A 30 minut specal on what a "normal" month of production is like would be cool!

I so so so want to do that. And we will, but not for this DVD. That will be saved for the season 1 dvd that we sell since its going to take a while to actually film and edit that and I can't take filming time away from ep9 production. We'll get that segment done, as well as a whole behind the scenes on the construction and evolution of the hak5 "budget" set (which should be helpful for upcoming vidcasters).

Really? I didnt think ep1 homebrew hack was that great (film wise). The x10 controlled cellphone lights thing was cool but cinematically it was a wreck. if this is going to be a lot of peoples first sight of Hak.5 I think it should be 'best foot forward'. Maybe thats just me though.

Production wise.. heh, hell no. But content wise, yeah it was pretty cool.

/me goes and installs this in the living room and sits by the road while everyone watches tv.

/me then hacks Darrens and turns the lights off

Adobe Encore 2 seems to work nicely, playing with it at the moment for some uni projects. Pricey, but you know... Plus it works well with the rest of Adobe's stuff.

As for content, that is a hard one, the difference in production quality between ep1 and 8.5 is huge. But the Gamecube DVD player has to be the best hak so far.

That DVD set will be sold, probably on Amazon.com. That way we can make a little money and hopefully buy some additional cameras, lights, and set pieces.

Could you release it at the Hak.5 Store?? I believe they allow the sale of DVDs and it may be a good way to link a few T-shirt sales with the DVD.

Ben

Depends on the target market for the DVD. Is it people who hack around with stuff, and are fairly well grounded computer wise? Or people who may not be quite there yet? To get the best of both worlds i'd put the more hardcore coding stuff towards the end of the disc, and start with the more flashy hardware stuff. That way its a nice introduction for our less geeky brethren, and still interesting for the more advanced amongst us.

the way i see it, this dvd could also be used as a 'starter deck'

if you include the Hak.5 in 60 Secs bit as the opening, people coudl burn this dvd and give it to friends that never watched the show and don't have the means/bandwidth to download it themselves.

Also, this would be a good opportunity to mail this to networks/sponsors ... maybe I'm thinking too far out of the box here.

also, little easter eggs in the menus would rock and be totally in spirit

(clickable pi symbol, anyone? :D )