Lan Turtle 3g?

b0N3z

On 28/07/2017 at 6:15 PM, b0N3z said:

Saw it on a picture of the hak5 vendor list for defcon.  Does anybody else know about this?

I didn't see that, but I did see something on the latest youtube def con 25 backstage (2219) where they build the stand... I see a "packet squirrel"??? on the lower right hand side of rear graphic panel... :) "the man-in-the-middle thats nuts for networks" but does it hide your packets until winter?

squirrel.pngsquirrel1.png

Edited by Just_a_User
  • Upvote 1

On 28/07/2017 at 6:15 PM, b0N3z said:

Saw it on a picture of the hak5 vendor list for defcon.  Does anybody else know about this?

On closer inspection were shown this,

squirrel.png

It kinda looks like  a lanturle with, a tail ;) and a rf card,

So, 3g/4g or wifi? or 315/433mhz? that would be an interesting long range addition ;)

maybe the radio card is removable/swapable

Edited by Just_a_User
  • Upvote 2

are you guys at defcon?  and Yes I saw the Packet Squirrel but on the picture I saw that listed devices and prices, there was a lan turtle 3g which could be the same as the Packet Squirrel.  @Just_a_User that is an interesting picture.  The only device I dont have is a lan turtle so maybe it was good to wait.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, b0N3z said:

are you guys at defcon?

i wish, no unfortunately not.

3 hours ago, b0N3z said:

listed devices and prices, there was a lan turtle 3g

Interesting stuff would be an interesting addition, lanturtle 2.0 maybe?

Edited by Just_a_User

lan turtle was 50 and the lan turtle 3g was 180.  sry for no pictures, been running all day and and now kinda drunk so that doesnt help, been watching twitter all day.

• Upvote 1

Mmm, the only Hak5 device I have is the Bash Bunny (probably the best one :P) but it would be cool if they could combine the Bash Bunny and the LAN Turtle (Ethernet running through the Bash Bunny or something - or even giving the BB WiFi capabilities).

This sounds like a wireless LAN turtle...However if the picture is showing a "LAN Turtle with a Tail (LAN Turtle - Tailed Edition)" then the Packet Squirrel would be something different? Could be a LAN Turtle-kinda deal but with an SD/SSD that stores the packets (as the "Squirrel" part of the name suggests?)..

Idk, just throwing out ideas here.

WLAN-Turtle with SD...we needs it.

Edited by Dave-ee Jones

LAN Turtle 3G Setup

Welcome DEF CON hacker :)

You're the first to get your hands on the new LAN Turtle 3G. We're officially launching in August, but everything is ready to go now. Essentially setup is the exact same as with the regular LAN Turtle - so all instructions from <a href="https://lanturtle.com/wiki/#!index.md">the wiki</a> and <a href="https://lanturtle.com/wiki/#!videos.md">the video tutorials</a> apply.

The distinction is that you'll need to insert a Micro SIM card. That's the SIM that's 12 x 15mm -- the one in between the larger Standard size and the smaller Nano size. Typically SIM cards come with the snap-out adapters.

To install the SIM card, open the LAN Turtle 3G carefully. Remove the two screws on the bottom of the unit and with care separate the top and bottom plastics. There is an antenna attached to the top plastic part, so just be gentle as you separate them.

The SIM card slots in on the side of the 3G module with its metal contacts facing the PCB in a top facing orientation.

Then re-assemble the LAN Turtle 3G. Stickers are provided for stealth.

On the software side you'll find the 3G WAN options from the main configuration menu. Typically it's just a matter of setting the APN.

The module will maintain the connection, so there's no other configuration necessary. 

@Just_a_User @Dave-ee Jones Found this on Hak5 github.

Edited by b0N3z
  • Upvote 2

Huh. So it's not the Packet Squirrel then. A LAN Turtle with 3G makes sense though as you could access it from the outside much easier, or even just send packets out easier, rather than using the internet of the thing you've plugged the LAN Turtle into (which means easier to see that something is piggybacking off your LAN).

• Upvote 2

That's what I was thinking. What is so special about this sim module on it and does it have to have a sim to work or will it work like a standard lan turtle without one 

15 minutes ago, b0N3z said:

That's what I was thinking. What is so special about this sim module on it and does it have to have a sim to work or will it work like a standard lan turtle without one 

Can't think of why either. I'm sure we will know more on release however. 

2 hours ago, b0N3z said:

So I got a chance to listen to Darren discuss this and you will be able to use the new 3G lan turtle either way.  Once you buy a SIM card you can put it in there and then setup the configuration to use the SIM (setting the APN) as mentioned above or leave the APN blank and use it just like any other lan turtle over the host network.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Rainman_34 said:

So I got a chance to listen to Darren discuss this and you will be able to use the new 3G lan turtle either way.  Once you buy a SIM card you can put it in there and then setup the configuration to use the SIM (setting the APN) as mentioned above or leave the APN blank and use it just like any other lan turtle over the host network.

So what? Why would we expect any less..?
You could probably modify the LAN Turtle to use a SIM by yourself as it is basically just an external internet connection.

I'd venture that this isn't a bolt on add on, rather a custom PCB with the added sim module. While the original LAN turtle may have been a more generic board. This one probably cost more for customization and in house development and design. 

17 minutes ago, UnLo said:

I'd venture that this isn't a bolt on add on, rather a custom PCB with the added sim module. While the original LAN turtle may have been a more generic board. This one probably cost more for customization and in house development and design. 

True, but it still doesn't justify that it's better for the price overall. Even if it's a different platform made to do the same thing, why buy it if it's more than 3x the price..Even if it does have SIM capability.

Don't forget you also need to buy the SIM too..

11 hours ago, Dave-ee Jones said:

Don't forget you also need to buy the SIM too..

I just borrow a SIM from my Netgear Aircard...

Edited by Jtyle6