Questions about batteries

Onus

Hi all,

I've been struggling on and off with this one for some time now. I cannot get the Juice to power my nano at all. The battery has a full charge and I've tried a couple of different usb cables but with no luck. The battery works fine when I use it with my phone, or my turtle. The nano also works when plugged into the phone.

Any ideas as to where to look next?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had an issue with a battery pack from the MK5. It would appear the current limiting circuit is prone to failure i.e. You will have potential on the USB and maybe a little current flow, but ramp it up and the current stops flowing. Hak5 happily replaced mine in the end. Not saying its the issue here, but I had similar symptoms.

Would this work well?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aukey-12000mAh-Portable-External-Charging/dp/B00VFUSQ9G/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1453587593&sr=8-18&keywords=battery+pack

Getting my Nano Monday. Im new to Pineapple and pen testing in general.

:)

Possibly. It has the right width which means you can correctly align it but I it's a little thick so I'm not too sure.

Possibly. It has the right width which means you can correctly align it but I it's a little thick so I'm not too sure.

actually that looks pretty good! If the length is accurate, it looks about the same length as an I phone, which I just tested and it fits in the tactical case. Also the thickness looks good, too. There's a good 3/4 in there still once the nano is in.

I'm thinking about getting one of these its only $8

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331722638471

and for a pouch im thinking about

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262245500308which is another $8

I'm also maybe thinking about this battery pack

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371467606946its about $12

• 2 weeks later...

I was just curious as to what the new battery specs were for the nano. I ordered a nano a few days ago but I want to know if it is possible to use an off brand battery for the system. I noticed that the kit comes with a usb y cable. I also noticed that a few users tried to use a powered usb hub which I am sure they did not connect to an power supply and fried their system. I was just wondering if the power that comes out of the battery pack is 1a or 2a. I saw on ebay a few battery packs that produce both on two different ports. I tried looking up the information in other forums and came across nothing so I figured I would ask.

The nano needs at least 5v 2a. So the pineapple juice is 2a.

I have a large 20000mah battery that works with the nano, but because of the size I can't use it with the tactical case.

If you do buy a third party one, make sure you read the reviews and such very carefully. A lot of them are absolutely worthless.

The nano is spec'ed at 1.5 A @ 5v.

I checked with the PortPilot and the Pineapple Juice 4000 is a 2.1 A output, but the the Pineapple Nano boots using only about ~400 mA (that's without a load or usb device attached)

Hooking up my phone to it, jumps it up to ~1.20 A.

Hooking up the Alfa (from the hakShop) it pulled ~580 mA without connection and peaked ~850 mA when connected to a wireless network and browsing the nano through the management interface and installing a few modules.

Hooking up a Holux M-215+ GPS receiver it pulled ~460 mA peaked around ~650 mA while i was trying to figure out how to test it getting a gps signal (looks like i still have a lot to learn with that one)

Hooking up a RTL-SDR it pulled about ~530 mA and peaked about ~750 mA running rtl_adsb

Sorry if that is an overkill on info, but I was more interested myself in seeing what the various power usages were with the different devices.

Plus this is the first time I've used the PortPilot for more than just blocking data while I'm out charging my phone :)

To answer the original questions I use my anker battery packs all the time when I want to run the pineapple for extended periods of time and it works great. I honestly would never recommend getting a battery pack that wasn't 2.1 A capable because any battery pack putting out below that really isn't worth your $$$. I have over 90,000 mAh between 7 battery packs (I play ingress and go camping a lot ;). I have had several more that are in the trash now because they weren't 2.1 A and were crap (some were not even 40% of advertised capacity :/). I do find Anker and intoircuit to be the ones I like the most and trust.

Fun side note, tested with the 15w solar panel i have and worked well:

http://www.amazon.com/2-Port-Charger-Anker-PowerPort-iPhone/dp/B012YZXMZS

I was in direct sunlight at the time, but pineAP started up and broadcasting and was able to connect to the management console without issues.

Might want to go with the 21w if you are expecting low light conditions:

http://www.amazon.com/2-Port-Charger-Anker-PowerPort-iPhone/dp/B012YUJJM8/

Just going to echo what everyone else has said. While technically the NANO is drawing very little at boot and idle, it's imperative that you have up to 2 amps available for peak usage. The devices power budget is calculated by adding all components (radios, CPU, SD) as well as a high draw device connected to the USB host port.

For this reason we developed the Pineapple Juice 4000 as a 2 amp battery, which is not common in such slim sizes. You may find similarly sized batteries elsewhere, but do verify that they are in fact 2 amp as all of those we've tested in that form factor off the shelf were not.

Of course our Pineapple Juice 15000 is a higher capacity 2 amp pack, but it would have required a much larger tactical case. I think we've found a nice balance between run time and size. Cheers!

For this reason we developed the Pineapple Juice 4000 as a 2 amp battery, which is not common in such slim sizes.

I was actually really surprised when the PortPilot read out 2.1amp for that slim pack, I would have guessed 1.5amp from it's size. That's really awesome and really glad I went with the tactical pack, great work and keep up the dedication to your quality!

I'm going OT here, but I figured I'd throw this in to amuse you guys. Since we're talking about the form factor of the battery and the tactical case...

I just *now* figured out that the case actually has an opening on the bottom for the usb connector. All this time I've been using electrical tape to strap the Nano, the battery and a TP-Link WN722N into a bundle when throwing it into my backpack. Needless to say I got annyoed at having to dismantle the contraption every time I had to press the reset button.
Would it not have been for this thread, I might not have inspected the case again for a while.

So yeah, try and beat that one for stupidity. :)

I was actually really surprised when the PortPilot read out 2.1amp for that slim pack, I would have guessed 1.5amp from it's size. That's really awesome and really glad I went with the tactical pack, great work and keep up the dedication to your quality!

Our battery partner makes a version in 1.5A but we changed the PCB for the higher amperage. I don't know about you but I welcome the day when most everything is run from USB -- it's just an elegant solution :)

Building drones I've come across a wide variety of ways to detect battery power levels (a very important factor with a flying object). Warning beepers, onboard readouts to on screen and HUD displays, so some solutions that, as far as I can tell, are completely software based.

The indicators on the outside of the battery are very helpful, but would it ever be possible to, to your knowledge, get a power reading in the GUI?

I too fly "drones" and rely on both OSD in FPV for voltage readouts as well as a conventional beeper as a backup / lost quadcopter locator. It's 5V coming out of the pack and similar to a drone lipo it'll ever so slightly dip when it's getting really low. If you wanted to you could wire in an indicator, but it probably wouldn't be too much more useful than the 4 LEDs.

I'm going OT here, but I figured I'd throw this in to amuse you guys. Since we're talking about the form factor of the battery and the tactical case...

I just *now* figured out that the case actually has an opening on the bottom for the usb connector. All this time I've been using electrical tape to strap the Nano, the battery and a TP-Link WN722N into a bundle when throwing it into my backpack. Needless to say I got annyoed at having to dismantle the contraption every time I had to press the reset button.

Would it not have been for this thread, I might not have inspected the case again for a while.

So yeah, try and beat that one for stupidity. :)

Don't feel bad. In usability testing we had a friend put the NANO in the tactical case upside down with the male USB plug poking through the opening. Insert Steve Jobs "you're holding it wrong" quote and we all had a laugh.

Our battery partner makes a version in 1.5A but we changed the PCB for the higher amperage. I don't know about you but I welcome the day when most everything is run from USB -- it's just an elegant solution :)

That day can't come soon enough!

Actually that's one of the things I like most about my MIIX 3 1030. A small portable laptop and it charges via micro usb!

They do not support simultaneous charge and discharge. It's a costly option that we delved into once, and while it was nice, extremely few people took advantage of the option. It is my hope that as we proceed with the project we'll revisit that feature as I too am in love with solar deployments (I also live in California where it's viable).

They do not support simultaneous charge and discharge. It's a costly option that we delved into once, and while it was nice, extremely few people took advantage of the option. It is my hope that as we proceed with the project we'll revisit that feature as I too am in love with solar deployments (I also live in California where it's viable).

Passthrough charging would be awesome, I only have 1 battery pack out of all of mine that support that. If you do revisit it in the future I would invest that option. Maybe have it as an add-on feature or an additional pack like a Tactical Elite Pack (1337 would work too ;), since it would incur a higher price point.

"Take my money now" I'm in

Hi guys so I ordered one of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/331722638471currently they are all sold out should be here today at the time of this post i'll do a short video showing the battery I will also do my best to test it and see how long the nano will run with normal useage.
TDvxW6y.png

I'm hoping for at least 2-3 hours of run time cause that's all I ever need when i'm out.

Hi guys so I ordered one of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/331722638471currently they are all sold out should be here today at the time of this post i'll do a short video showing the battery I will also do my best to test it and see how long the nano will run with normal useage.

TDvxW6y.png

I'm hoping for at least 2-3 hours of run time cause that's all I ever need when i'm out.

It looks like the specs on that is only 5v 1A, not sure if it will work.

I think Darren stated on a previous page

Just going to echo what everyone else has said. While technically the NANO is drawing very little at boot and idle, it's imperative that you have up to 2 amps available for peak usage. The devices power budget is calculated by adding all components (radios, CPU, SD) as well as a high draw device connected to the USB host port.

It looks like the specs on that is only 5v 1A, not sure if it will work.

I think Darren stated on a previous page

That's why people rely on others to do the testing for them. I had a few bucks to waste from a $25 ebay gift card my brother gave me so took the liberty to grab it.

Like I said i'm gonna do some testing with the NANO and this battery Wednesday morning I got the whole day i'm gonna be out to see how much the NANO can handle and the battery with the number of devices that connect to it.

Mainly wanting to harvest ssid's of devices that are looking for networks so I can map out where some of these devices have been using a online ssid database.

even if the battery back doesn't work with the nano i still have my Anker PowerCore 20100 which will be coming along for the ride.

Archived