Questions about batteries

Onus

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PtW791A.jpg

Ran PineAP features with the NANO appears to work fine granted it might have issues if the NANO has to do heavy loads it might be an issue.

Ran PineAP features with the NANO appears to work fine granted it might have issues if the NANO has to do heavy loads it might be an issue.

You'll probably be alright if PineAp is all you are going to be doing and not hooking up additional devices like cell phone or wifi. That's the two devices that I found to pull the most power with the PortPilot. But I was testing with basically 0% load on the nano so take that into consideration. With that cheap a price I'd also probably want to check and be sure it is actually putting out 1 amp tho too.

Normally the biggest concern with super cheap battery packs is the advertised capacity isn't close to what it says it is in mAh. The easiest way to test this is fully power a device you know the mAh on (like your cell phone) from 0% to 100% and add up how many mAh you got out of it. Example: my droid turbo is 3900 mAh, so with a 15000 mAh pack I should be able to charge it ~3.84 times. But be aware that you'll never get 100% of what they say on the box and they will lose mAh capacity over time, repeated charges, and with varied temperatures. I've seen reviews of packs that have <20% of advertised capacity and I've personally had ones that were <40% myself. Good packs will normally average about 80-85% actual mAh to marketed mAh.

You'll probably be alright if PineAp is all you are going to be doing and not hooking up additional devices like cell phone or wifi. That's the two devices that I found to pull the most power with the PortPilot. But I was testing with basically 0% load on the nano so take that into consideration. With that cheap a price I'd also probably want to check and be sure it is actually putting out 1 amp tho too.

Normally the biggest concern with super cheap battery packs is the advertised capacity isn't close to what it says it is in mAh. The easiest way to test this is fully power a device you know the mAh on (like your cell phone) from 0% to 100% and add up how many mAh you got out of it. Example: my droid turbo is 3900 mAh, so with a 15000 mAh pack I should be able to charge it ~3.84 times. But be aware that you'll never get 100% of what they say on the box and they will lose mAh capacity over time, repeated charges, and with varied temperatures. I've seen reviews of packs that have <20% of advertised capacity and I've personally had ones that were <40% myself. Good packs will normally average about 80-85% actual mAh to marketed mAh.

As someone who has experience sourcing batteries -- I'll echo your statement about advertised capacities. I've actually had vendors say "We can put any mAh on the label". It's ridiculous. Suffice it to say, that's where the conversation ends. Thankfully I've been lucky enough to meet good people at CES -- a trade show the shady vendors don't attend. It's also nice that I can go for Hak5 to do media coverage too.

Just to throw out there the Anker PowerCore+ 13400 I have is able to power the Tetra with a single port and while using dump1090 and PineAP. It's rated at Output of 5V / 4.8A and really nice size for the power it packs in it.

https://www.anker.com/products/A1271011

Looks like the largest one they have with that same output rating is the PowerCore 20100 (note it's not the PowerCore+ 20100). I haven't tested it but I have one on order and can report back if I have any issues with it when it arrives.

I've actually had vendors say "We can put any mAh on the label". It's ridiculous. Suffice it to say, that's where the conversation ends.

That is INSANE!

I have to say out of all the real world testing I've done with all of the various battery packs I could get my hands on, Anker has to be one of the absolute best. Unfortunately I can't recommend trying to source your own pack through them as I was part of the Ingress Anker pre-order deal last year. They didn't end up getting the battery pack until 3-4 months after the promised delivery date, it was basically an overpriced version of one of their older model battery packs and really offers substandard performance (compared to their other packs in the same price range at the time) in my testings. Worst of all there was basically no communication about the process, status or delays. It does look really pretty as far as battery packs go, but I am really one for functionality over form. I will say it is still better than some of the other packs that I have gotten and I still use it, but it just did not meet my expectations from what was promised at pre-order time.

Can the pineapple juice 4000 be charging, while in use?

May sound pointless but most cars come with USB ports. Plugging into that could extend mobile recon times. But is it designed to work that way?

Yeah, but I don't think youre supposed to do so. It can damage the battery iirc.

The 15000 on the otherhand, didn't let me do so.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had my 4000 for 2 days and it looks like the battery is swelling up it has been discharged and recharged 1x has anyone else had this issue?

Hi, I've just had a similar experience with the same battery. Swelling was bad enough to pop the casing open. Waiting on an exchange.

• 1 month later...

Does any1 know if I can get a male to male usb and plug the pineapple juice into the usb female on the nano, and use a usb female to micro usb male to plug into phone... Or I can plug the battery in to the knuckle that came with it,on to the usb male on the nano and Plug the usb male to micro usb into phone....but would it work the other way?

Does any1 know if I can get a male to male usb and plug the pineapple juice into the usb female on the nano, and use a usb female to micro usb male to plug into phone... Or I can plug the battery in to the knuckle that came with it,on to the usb male on the nano and Plug the usb male to micro usb into phone....but would it work the other way?

The WiFi Pineapple NANO can only be powered over the male USB end.

Best regards,

Sebkinne

Just to throw out there the Anker PowerCore+ 13400 I have is able to power the Tetra with a single port and while using dump1090 and PineAP. It's rated at Output of 5V / 4.8A and really nice size for the power it packs in it.

Bored369,

Do you know if this will fit in the Tactical Case for the Nano? Also, is it compatible with the 180 USB adapter?

Thanks

Bored369,

Do you know if this will fit in the Tactical Case for the Nano? Also, is it compatible with the 180 USB adapter?

Thanks

That one won't fit the case for the nano nor can you use the 180 usb adapter with it. None of the Ankers that I've used will work with either actually.

I've used the nano a couple of times with it using the y-adapter and having the battery outside of the case though. It'll get you just around 40 hours of usage with the nano so really wouldn't be a scenario that you would be having it on your hip, more of a long term deployment option.

So I've been using this Anker 15k battery pack recently and have been dealing with nothing but problems with my NANO, and I'm wondering if it might be the ultimate cause.

I don't have another to test out, but what do you think? Is this adequate for a NANO with an extra WiFi adapter running as wlan2, connecting via management interface, and running PineAP? http://www.amazon.com/15000mAh-Portable-Ultra-High-External-Motorola/dp/B00NIQG4MQ/

• 4 weeks later...

Is it possible to use http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SKROSS-Power-bank-RELOAD-12000-mAh-SK1302167-input-output-5V-1A-2-1A-White-/151901854692?hash=item235e0e5be4:g:cNQAAOSwf-VWXyN3

for the nano.

If not any one have any suggestions as the pineapple juice 4000 isnt available as an accessory at the

moment?

thanks all

regards

kerravon :smile:

Is it possible to use http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SKROSS-Power-bank-RELOAD-12000-mAh-SK1302167-input-output-5V-1A-2-1A-White-/151901854692?hash=item235e0e5be4:g:cNQAAOSwf-VWXyN3

for the nano.

If not any one have any suggestions as the pineapple juice 4000 isnt available as an accessory at the

moment?

thanks all

regards

kerravon :smile:

I have virtually the same battery: http://www.amazon.com/Poweradd-Pilot-2GS-Portable-External/dp/B00ITILPZ4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1463023566&sr=8-1&keywords=poweradd+battery

I should work fine if it's true to the specs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Archived