The HakBox v1.0 - Heavy on pics

theshabobo

To get back on the main topic.

The screen has came in and I am working on installing it. @15.6in. this thing is nice! HD video as well... now i am kinda wishing for some more processing power. But either way, this is turning out to be a very nice project.

I have taken the suggestion on removing the foam and using industrial velcro to hold the components in place. So far it works and there is much more usable space in the case.

I am having a power wiring issue, but I guess i should not be doing power wiring without a diagram when I haven't slept for more than 24 hours...lol <-- need more caffeine!

Keep the ideas coming, and They may just get put in.

As far as the proxmark, I have decided not to put this in as it would take the project way out of scope. Perhaps for the next project.

I am really curious as to what the Hak5 team has to say about this.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To get back on the main topic.

The screen has came in and I am working on installing it. @15.6in. this thing is nice! HD video as well... now i am kinda wishing for some more processing power. But either way, this is turning out to be a very nice project.

I have taken the suggestion on removing the foam and using industrial velcro to hold the components in place. So far it works and there is much more usable space in the case.

I am having a power wiring issue, but I guess i should not be doing power wiring without a diagram when I haven't slept for more than 24 hours...lol <-- need more caffeine!

Keep the ideas coming, and They may just get put in.

As far as the proxmark, I have decided not to put this in as it would take the project way out of scope. Perhaps for the next project.

I am really curious as to what the Hak5 team has to say about this.

Yea i think that the proxmark would take up too much space and probably isnt too practical just an idea though! And since you said you need more processing power i think that you could put in 2 raspberry pi instead of 1 idk if that would work but its an idea!!! Also you might not have enough space in the box but you might since you took out the foam Edited by Computer_Security

If CPU horsepower is a problem, consider using a Beaglebone or some such. It'll come at a cost though - can't beat the Pi on price. My personal favorite, an Odroid, would run circles around either, but is more expensive still. It does come with 2 gigs of memory on the package which is considerably more than either the Beaglebone or the Pi.

An out-of-the-box idea is to get a cheap Android phone and use that instead...

If CPU horsepower is a problem, consider using a Beaglebone or some such. It'll come at a cost though - can't beat the Pi on price. My personal favorite, an Odroid, would run circles around either, but is more expensive still. It does come with 2 gigs of memory on the package which is considerably more than either the Beaglebone or the Pi.

An out-of-the-box idea is to get a cheap Android phone and use that instead...

If you could use a cheap droid phone you could also use the buildin 3G/4G modem of the phone.

Edited by GuardMoony

I'd just go with a pelican, otterbox, or clone. Those "aluminum" boxes are usually just particleboard with a thin aluminum skin. My Janus type box was a plastic pelican case clone. It's survived several rebuilds of the insides, and several cross country/continent trips.

Edited by barry99705

Since there's only so much you can carry (both in weight and volume) and you don't want to stand out as "the guy lugging a suitcase through town" a small container tends to be more useful/practical than a bigger box. For this project the size of the box appears to be dictated by the screen he wants to mount inside (and looking at the pics there's still quite a bit of room left).

An alternative to the screen and keyboard is a private wifi AP in the box that you the admin can connect to using your phone and from there using an app ssh into the Pi, but if you're going to spend some time doing that the large screen and the real keyboard are going to make it a hell of a lot more comfortable to toy with. That's why you should always start with a scenario of whatever you're trying to achieve. That sets the bounds within which you have to operate. From that point on you can try to expand on the idea so long as you stay within the same bounds and stick to the original idea as at least a part of the final thing. If you decide that you really wanted to do something else, restate your scenario, determine the bounds from that and start over.

Don't know how feasible this is with your current box (or necessary even, since you didn't mention temps yet) but if you could get the rim made out of metal and attach the really hot components to that the box itself would be the heatsink for the devices inside.

This is an HD display I saw on Kickstarter that is being built for PI. It is just 9 inches, but might be worth considering. Not sure on the power side, but might be a project that complements yours, or someone else's.

http://hdmipi.com

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/697708033/hdmipi-affordable-9-high-def-screen-for-the-raspbe

I like the idea of keeping the profile as small as possible, and agree wood equipment boxes tend to have the most issues with heat. I have used several mobile wireless survey kit boxes over the past year for a third party, which consisted of a pelican case, and a couple false plates inside to hide most of the static equipment/wires and a lot of 3G/4G/LTE antennas (one for each major carrier). It also included a Netbook with linux which was the only peace vizible besides the antennas. In this case there was no battery, just a hidden powers trip to plugin. Also your want to make sure all your cables and ends are secured during transient. Nothing like turning on the box and having nothing happen, something I've had happen to kits like these.

• 2 months later...

You could also just use a nexus 7 2012 version. Download the free pwnpad firmware that will include all the software that is needed. But good project!! ($200 for the Pwnpad, but will include screen, processor and a touchscreen interface)

• 2 weeks later...