Pineapple Mk 4 Battery Options

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been holding off for so long and last-night I caved lol "purchased one else ware:-(", I'll have to pick up one of these as well:-)

Guys,

Can you anyone give me insight on what's the "best" battery option for MARKIV with 3g donglge and microsd card inserted? After having read the thread I still didn't come up to the conclusion...

By "best" I mean about 8 hours of non-stop karma-ing :-) with 3g dongle inserted. Or maybe I'm asking too much :-)?

Thx in advance!

Hey guy's i haven't got the foggiest about power and how it works amps volts, What i have gathered is the the higher the mHa's on these batteries the longer it lasts, i was looking at this @ 10,000 mHa's it seems decent, http://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-10000mAh-External-Optional-Recorders/dp/B0063AAIRG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1339525994&sr=8-3 any ideas if it will work with the MKIV? i don't wanna fry my board, have no clue about power.

To give you an idea of the power i will be consuming (lol), What i was hoping to do was have 3G and an ALFA AWUS036H hooked up the the USB on the pineapple using a splitter? duno if this would even work, any one tried it?

Just found this today, thinking of testing it out at defcon.

http://www.hypershop.com/HyperJuice-Plug-15600mAh-Stealth-p/p15-black.htm

The specs:

+ 15,600mAh lithium ion battery + 2 high power USB ports capable of charging 2 USB devices (even 2 iPads) at the same time + Built-in retractable wall plug for easy recharging + Extend iPad (1st & 2nd generation) battery life by up to 23 extra hours + Extend new iPad (3rd generation) battery life by up to 13 extra hours + Fully recharge the iPhone up to 11 times + Aluminum battery housing, available in six juice colors of pink, gold, blue, green, silver, black + Advanced high performance power management chipset by Linear Technology + Built-in short circuit, overcharging and temperature protection + Industrial medical/military grade AA battery cells + 1 year limited warranty

Intelligent Power Distribution System

HyperJuice Plug features a total of 15W power shared between 2 USB ports. Unlike other dual USB batteries that simply designates "high power" 10W USB port (for iPad/tablet charging) and "low power" 5W USB port(for iPhone/smartphone charging), HyperJuice Plug intelligently distributes and delivers the maximum power to individual devices irregardless of which USB port they are plugged to.

Edited by triptych

http://www.hypershop.com/HyperJuice-Plug-15600mAh-Stealth-p/p15-black.htm

The specs:

+ 15,600mAh lithium ion battery + 2 high power USB ports capable of charging 2 USB devices (even 2 iPads) at the same time + Built-in retractable wall plug for easy recharging + Extend iPad (1st & 2nd generation) battery life by up to 23 extra hours + Extend new iPad (3rd generation) battery life by up to 13 extra hours + Fully recharge the iPhone up to 11 times + Aluminum battery housing, available in six juice colors of pink, gold, blue, green, silver, black + Advanced high performance power management chipset by Linear Technology + Built-in short circuit, overcharging and temperature protection + Industrial medical/military grade AA battery cells + 1 year limited warranty

HyperJuice Plug features a total of 15W power shared between 2 USB ports. Unlike other dual USB batteries that simply designates "high power" 10W USB port (for iPad/tablet charging) and "low power" 5W USB port(for iPhone/smartphone charging), HyperJuice Plug intelligently distributes and delivers the maximum power to individual devices irregardless of which USB port they are plugged to.

Thats one hell of a psu lol

http://www.hypershop...p/p15-black.htm

The specs:

Wow, to rich for my blood. I went with the Anker® Astro3 10000mAh from Amazon for $60. It works like a charm.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NGKR54/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

I'm a little disapointed in the battery offering in the hakshop. I waited and waited for Darren to "tim-the-toolman" the bejesus out of that battery pack.

Wow, to rich for my blood. I went with the Anker® Astro3 10000mAh from Amazon for $60. It works like a charm.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NGKR54/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Are you using a single usb or a "Y" cable and both ports to power it up? Does it give enough voltage with a USB mounted? This has more juice per $, I'd spend less if I bought 2 of these Ankers, and have more power. Thank you kindly sir.

I'm a little disapointed in the battery offering in the hakshop. I waited and waited for Darren to "tim-the-toolman" the bejesus out of that battery pack.

Are you using a single usb or a "Y" cable and both ports to power it up? Does it give enough voltage with a USB mounted? This has more juice per $, I'd spend less if I bought 2 of these Ankers, and have more power. Thank you kindly sir.

Hi,

I am using a single usb cable and yes it gives enough voltage with a mounted USB. I have a mounted 16 gb PNY flash drive and all works fine. Below is a link to the "StarTech.com USB2TYPEM 3 Feet USB to Type M Barrel 5V DC Power Cable" I am using.

http://www.amazon.co...ils_o00_s00_i01

Edited by Ted Summers

Hi,

I am using a single usb cable and yes it gives enough voltage with a mounted USB. I have a mounted 16 gb PNY flash drive and all works fine. Below is a link to the "StarTech.com USB2TYPEM 3 Feet USB to Type M Barrel 5V DC Power Cable" I am using.

http://www.amazon.co...ils_o00_s00_i01

It has enough juice for two, I have not tested to see how long it would last yet. rolleyes.gif That is a old Dlink DWL-G730AP. It will do Router, Client, or Access Point. Both are powered via USB connected to the Astro3

UPDATE: I can safely say that the Astro3 has powered both devices for 10 hours now and still has power left, even if I don't know how much juice is remaining. biggrin.gifI am stopping the test now as the result is good enough for me.

post-39797-0-49185600-1339841318_thumb.j

Edited by Ted Summers

Would it be be a good idea powering the mk4 with a battery and the 4gb usb storage AND the alfa AWUS036NHA doth attached to MK4 with a usb hub (with power adaptor) aslo powered from the same battery??

Is the idea of the usb hub with power adaptor so the pineapple can support both of the devices at the same time right? Is the part of power adaptor right or is it unecessery??

Thank you very much in advance and sorry for the to many questions!!:)

Edited by Giannhs

I found this 9V 250mah Ni-MH battery for 20€.

http://www.markidis.gr/popup_image.php?pID=34325

Would it be be a good idea for powering the mk4 with the 4gb usb storage AND the alfa AWUS036NHA doth attached to it with a usb hub (with power adaptor) aslo powered from the same battery??

Is the idea of the usb hub with power adaptor so the pineapple can support both of the devices at the same time right? Is the part of power adaptor right or is it unecessery??

Thank you very much in advance and sorry for the to many questions!!:)

Hey, thats pretty expensive for a battery with only a 250mah capacity (are you sure that aint 2 euro?) + if it does power the pineapple, 4gb usb and the alfa it wont last long, but i doubt that would even power the pineapple its self. What i would do is get a usb battery, something like this http://www.amazon.fr/TeckNet-Dual-Port-iEP380-II-incroyable-Blackberry/dp/B0041OQFAU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1339863459&sr=8-2, your alfa should have the 2 usb's to 1 mini usb this is because, 1 usb port can only provide 500ma (or is it 500mw? some one correct me if i am wrong) and the AWUS036NHA runs at 1000mw, so it needs 2 usb ports, what i would do is have a usb to dc lead going from the usb battery to the pinapple, than get a powered usb hub, power that with your usb battery and off you go!

Edited by Anton

I re-edit my previous post, was my mistake. I thought 250Mah=25.000mah dOn't ask why i dont know :P

So u suggest using a usb hub with out a power adaptor and then Y usb to mini usb cable for tha alfa??

Yes, but make sure you get a powered usb hub, the whole point to having a powered usb hub is to ease the power load on the pineapple usb port, so no make sure you have power going to the hub.

- Anton.

Edited by Anton

would any of the above power systems, like the Astro3, be able to power a laptop size hdd pls ? ... I was thinking of using something of that sort with a beaglebone + 2.5" hdd, but want to get as much info as possible before purchasing.

Thanks in advance,

Entity

would any of the above power systems, like the Astro3, be able to power a laptop size hdd pls ? ... I was thinking of using something of that sort with a beaglebone + 2.5" hdd, but want to get as much info as possible before purchasing.

Thanks in advance,

Entity

yea for sure, the Astro 3 running on 9v dc can run the pineapple for about 10hours maybe more.. so yea the life might be cut to about 5-6hrs if you were powering a hdd. These are all just rough estimates though.

- Anton.

Hey, thats pretty expensive for a battery with only a 250mah capacity (are you sure that aint 2 euro?) + if it does power the pineapple, 4gb usb and the alfa it wont last long, but i doubt that would even power the pineapple its self. What i would do is get a usb battery, something like this http://www.amazon.fr/TeckNet-Dual-Port-iEP380-II-incroyable-Blackberry/dp/B0041OQFAU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1339863459&sr=8-2, your alfa should have the 2 usb's to 1 mini usb this is because, 1 usb port can only provide 500ma (or is it 500mw? some one correct me if i am wrong) and the AWUS036NHA runs at 1000mw, so it needs 2 usb ports, what i would do is have a usb to dc lead going from the usb battery to the pinapple, than get a powered usb hub, power that with your usb battery and off you go!

Just wanted to share my understanding of things. I believe one usb port from any managed device (ie, computer, usb hub, pineapple usb port, etc) is designed to give 500ma of power (but I have read there are exceptions). Also the AWUS036NHA is capable of outputting 1000mw of power to it's wifi radio. This means it could actually use a little more than that due to the power requirements of the internal components.

A nifty equation can convert the power ouput (mw) to the required amps (ma in this case). The equation is Watts/Volts=Amps. So in this example we have 1 Watt (1000mw) / 5 Volts (usb voltage) = 0.25 Amps or 250ma.

Hopefully this can help some of you when you are trying to figure up what the power requirements will be when setting up your pineapples.

Best of luck to everyone!