Pineapple Mk 4 Battery Options

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully that's enough to keep the MK4 with the cruzer fit plugged into it happy and functioning.

It seems that there's JUUUUUUST enough of a deficiency in available power to do the job via single USB port when using the cruzer fit, as I can use an old "long" Patriot 8GB stick just fine when powering the MK4 via USB, but not the cruzer fit. Telot indicated that he's got it working with another branded USB "stick" as well that's of the small form factor, but they're far more expensive than a standard USB stick.

Fingers crossed, hoping it works as intended, or I'll just have more damn portable power than I know what to do with (have a fwe other portable batteries including the New Trent 11K mAh one).

I've got a Staples branded 4Gb Sandisk fit and power it off a usb port. Seems to work just fine. I've also powered it off a 5v rechargeable battery pack. Thumb drives are just picky I think.

hey telot how about something like this

My link

or

My link

Unless you live in the middle of the Sahara, and always face away from the sun, that little solar cell isn't really going to do much for recharging the batteries.

Edited by barry99705

I too have a Sandisk micro USB card (low profile model) and the Trent 11k model.

I have had no problems powering on battery, only when running from USB on my laptop (2010 Macbook), where the USB drive doesn't power at all.

I remember suggesting the dual USB cable in another thread and being shot down very quickly.

Wouldn't the best solution be a 3G dongle with memory card reader? I'm sure there must be a chinese knockoff or one of the many HUAWEI models that will be compatible with the pineapple.

I know it sounds a bit stupid but sometimes keeping it simple in relation to the tech often works, instead of bashing heads over cables/battery packs, we should see if there is a standard peripheral that we can use - be it USB drive, 4G/3G, USB hub, USB humping dog (just kidding)

^gmgfarrand looks like he's got a solid battery pack. I researched a little on the 'energi togo' by energizer and found this. It looks pretty good, but expensive.

I have been running the 4 AA battery pack with standard fuji batteries. If I have a usb flash drive plugged in the battery only seems to handle the pineapple for about an hour. After that, it doesn't seem to have enough juice to keep the pineapple up and running, although the lights still power on.

By using rechargeable battery packs, are you back charging the pineapple through the usb? If so could you still plug in a usb flash drive?

if anyone could snap a picture it would be helpful.

Thanks,

~napisani

I have been running the 4 AA battery pack with standard fuji batteries. If I have a usb flash drive plugged in the battery only seems to handle the pineapple for about an hour. After that, it doesn't seem to have enough juice to keep the pineapple up and running, although the lights still power on.

By using rechargeable battery packs, are you back charging the pineapple through the usb? If so could you still plug in a usb flash drive?

if anyone could snap a picture it would be helpful.

Thanks,

~napisani

Not sure if I correctly understand you but it works like this:

Battery pack has a female USB 2.0 port out.

You will need a barrel to male USB connector cable.

You cannot charge power the pineapple over it's USB port.

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

Hi,

I just got a lead acid 12V 7.2Ah. i will test it out this week.

Just a question though, i used a multimeter and it said its ouput was 12.83V. Is this still OK to use safely?

12.0V is the max afaik.

You can try it but it may fry your device.

Though, my knowledge on this is limited.

I personally wouldn't try it.

Regards,

Sebkinne

well, here's some good news: suddenly my New Trent 11K mAh is powering the MK4 along with the cruzer fit plugged in!!

not sure what changed, but it's solid and working perfectly. I just decided to give it another shot out of sheer frustration, ensured it was fully charged....lo and behold, it works!!

So, if you already have one of these behemoths, you should be able to use it with the MK4 and a cruzer fit in the USB port with no issues.

Now I have all this other gear on the way (another battery and that dual cable), so I'll weigh in on those too tomorrow evening when they arrive.

For reference, my haktop is an Acer TimelineX. It would appear that the power supplied to the various USB ports on this system are not sufficient to power the MK4 *and* a USB device plugged into the MK4. All my testing on this platform was done with the haktop plugged into power.

hey telot how about something like this

My link

or

My link

That is a pretty sweet idea, and would be great for pineappling a college quad or something - though I wish they provided technical details on the panels. What I'm really looking for more of NEMA enclosure, something like this: http://bbpmag.com/wordpress2/wp-content/uploads/fdp-xwb1.jpg - I use them all the time for work and we always run external solar panels. I'm sure hoping for a weather proof (thats what the NEMA 4x rating is all about) enclosure with top mounted (tiltable?) integrated solar panel that can fit a battery (most likely deep cycle marine 12v) and a pineapple and cellular router. its a total pipe dream - never gonna happen in the foreseeable future until the industry really boosts the wattage of current solar panels :(

telot

Should I be looking for something equipped/compatible with a tip (plug) of the same dimensions as one that's included? Does anyone know off the top of their head what those specifications are?

Hello Darkapple,

Look at something with 12V. I believe I read somewhere were people had issues with the 3G modem when only using 5V.

So I would go with the 12V.

I am using this :

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0067XVUF8/ref=oh_o03_s01_i00_details

It has 10000mAH so it will last all day and it came with all kind of kabels including the plug for the Mark IV.

In case I need something extra in future I still have 2 spare USB plugs to power something else

Rgds

Hey guys what's up. Here's what I've been using to run mine. http://www.voltaicsystems.com/v60.shtml its great cause I can charge my laptop at the same time and it runs the pineapple forever. I'm also doing testing in my shop at work for a more affordable solution. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Later,

elmocrispers

NICE.. that looks like a much better one. (http://www.amazon.com/Voltaic-Systems-Universal-Laptop-Battery/dp/B006L4IP3I/ref=pd_rhf_dp_p_t_1) for those that like Amazon. I just ordered it. Now I guess I will have two batteries now. I am sure I will have other projects that can use the one I ordered last week. having the 12v output will mean I will never have to worry about it, and the footprint size is ok.

NTF

Rgds / WebDirector had a great link but since I couldn't quickly find a version of it in my region's Amazon / Google Shopping I went to the local Radio Shack (electronics store).

They had an iGo with interchangeable tips that probably would have worked for $14 but the tips it came with were micro-USB / mini-USB, etc so I got this Enercell battery pack / power converter with interchangeable tips and variable power you can set to 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, or 12 Volts for $60. The type "M" tip fits the pineapple.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11343870&CAWELAID=909360354

I ordered this one: http://www.amazon.com/Incredicharge-I-11000-External-11000mAh-Blackberry/dp/B006YJEBGK/ref=pd_cp_cps_1

I may have to mock up a dual cable... but plenty of ports.

will arrive in a few days and can test and report out. great price.

NTF

ok.. so it works. right out of the box (came with 79% charge)

configuration is mark4\usbfit4g. Obviously without the lan tether, there is no internet to bridge.. but it serves up the rickroll and the phish pages with no issues.

swap is still on the usb, and ssh to the device works as expect.

I will test how long I can have it up later, after I charge it full.

here is a pic: http://www.doevil.com/pinebat.jpg

NTF

My setup that is working great.

Pineapple Mark IV, New Trent 11000MaH, MC760 Novatel Virgin 3G Modem, (This has a micro SD card slot built in).

Can power all this for about an hour and half, less with the more connections obtained.

You do have to find a USB to Type M Barrel cable to run from the New Trent USB Battery Pack. This provides you the juice you need.

You have to make sure each time you intend to use, that the New Trent is fully charged. For some reason the output seems lower when the New Trent is not

fully charged when you power it up. Not sure if this some kind of issue or what. The rig is pretty small, so it can be concealed easy.

ok.. so it works. right out of the box (came with 79% charge)

configuration is mark4\usbfit4g. Obviously without the lan tether, there is no internet to bridge.. but it serves up the rickroll and the phish pages with no issues.

swap is still on the usb, and ssh to the device works as expect.

I will test how long I can have it up later, after I charge it full.

here is a pic: http://www.doevil.com/pinebat.jpg

NTF

I think i'll buy this one..Who knows if it will works with 3g adapter also.. The USB to DC connector to feed the pineapple is inclued or have i to buy one? Thx : )

I picked up this connector:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006MWXZM0/ref=oh_o02_s00_i00_details

fits nicely.

I do not know about 3g. I do have a second battery coming in the mail as well that does the 12v output. I will post review on that once it arrives.

NTF

Thx , i've found this one on Amazon UK http://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-feet-Barrel-Power-Cable/dp/B003MQO96U/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1334082007&sr=8-6 , is going to be ok for the pineapple?

Thx , i've found this one on Amazon UK http://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-feet-Barrel-Power-Cable/dp/B003MQO96U/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1334082007&sr=8-6 , is going to be ok for the pineapple?

Hello,

I also purchased the " M Barrel" the only thing putting me off a bit is the dimensions, mine said 0,9mm and your says "OD:5.50, ID: 2.10".

But the M barrel must be a standard and that fit into my Mark IV.

Rgds

NICE.. that looks like a much better one. (http://www.amazon.com/Voltaic-Systems-Universal-Laptop-Battery/dp/B006L4IP3I/ref=pd_rhf_dp_p_t_1) for those that like Amazon. I just ordered it. Now I guess I will have two batteries now. I am sure I will have other projects that can use the one I ordered last week. having the 12v output will mean I will never have to worry about it, and the footprint size is ok.

NTF

Here's a nice FAQ list to use when determining how to power your device:

http://www.dcbattery.com/faq.html

From my tests, the MK4 draws about 106mA idle.

Hi,

I just got a lead acid 12V 7.2Ah. i will test it out this week.

Just a question though, i used a multimeter and it said its ouput was 12.83V. Is this still OK to use safely?

12.83 will be fine. Usually you can vary 1V either way. IMHO, I would be more concerned with running 5V than I would 12.83V. Somehting to keep in mind, most 12V batteries never output exactly 12V. A cigarette lighter outlet in a car usually runs anywhere from 12.6V to 13.2 depending on what you have running at the time.

Posted · Hidden by Technoprenerd, April 11, 2012 - Thought my device was fried, it wasn't. Solved the problem.
Hidden by Technoprenerd, April 11, 2012 - Thought my device was fried, it wasn't. Solved the problem.

12.0V is the max afaik.You can try it but it may fry your device.Though, my knowledge on this is limited.I personally wouldn't try it.Regards,Sebkinne

Yeah, I have noticed. Today I fried my device. :(

12.83 will be fine. Usually you can vary 1V either way. IMHO, I would be more concerned with running 5V than I would 12.83V. Somehting to keep in mind, most 12V batteries never output exactly 12V. A cigarette lighter outlet in a car usually runs anywhere from 12.6V to 13.2 depending on what you have running at the time.

If that's true, how can my device be fried at 12.30 V?