Pineapple Mk 4 Battery Options

Hey all, I've been searching the forums for ideas on what kinds of battery packs to use to power my Mk 4, but it seems like no one has actually posted the exact product they use, and all threads seem to be a mixture of discussion of soldering, mAH arguments, and problem solving. So, my question is, what batteries have you used to (successfully) power the Pineapple Mk4 (or even mk 3)?

Thanks!

~Conner

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

with a usb storage your mark 4 will draw more current.so getting more then 5V 1A is incouraged.

1 AA 1.5V battery with 2400mh in series with 4 will get you to 5V 2A for awhile. and run your pineapple with a usb storage card like the cruz mini fit 4GB

The New Trent 11k won't do the trick with a USB drive dangling off the MK4 (at least not one of the Cruzer Fit's), I already tried it.

I've just ordered a Dual USB output 8400mAh battery along with a dual-to-single USB cable.

Should be here in a few days, I'll try it out and weigh back in with the results.

as long as you get close to 12v and over 2Ah your fine.wasn't the new Trent only 5v that would be the bare minimum why its not enough.

That's correct, the New Trent 11k mAh has got huge capacity, but only a single 5v USB output, same as a single USB output. It's fine to run a MK4 barebones, but not enough to run it with the additional cruzer fit USB stick.

The battery I'm looking at has dual USB outputs, so with the appropriate cable, it'll be able to provide up to 10v of output, more than enough to run the MK4 and whatever USB stick you could throw at it.

That's correct, the New Trent 11k mAh has got huge capacity, but only a single 5v USB output, same as a single USB output. It's fine to run a MK4 barebones, but not enough to run it with the additional cruzer fit USB stick.

The battery I'm looking at has dual USB outputs, so with the appropriate cable, it'll be able to provide up to 10v of output, more than enough to run the MK4 and whatever USB stick you could throw at it.

5 Volts and potentially twice the amperage of the trent, It's all about how much the usb port can put out as far as amperage.

some computers usb ports can output more than enough but most don't.

The New Trent 11k won't do the trick with a USB drive dangling off the MK4 (at least not one of the Cruzer Fit's), I already tried it.

I've just ordered a Dual USB output 8400mAh battery along with a dual-to-single USB cable.

Should be here in a few days, I'll try it out and weigh back in with the results.

Thanks for the tip! :) I'm not very expert with voltages, Ampere and so on..so i'm getting a little bit confused..But i have to buy a battery pack for my MKIV.. Nothefed i'll wait for your feedback :D

I've a question(maybe stupid one)..Does these battery packs always provides DC in connector to feed the Pineapple? So i don't have to plug a USB hub, one usb for usb memory and one for battery alimentation..

petertfm: Correct. I believe it will have more than enough juice to do the trick (at least that's what I'm hoping!).

NotTheFed: I saw that one there too, but I noted the actual seller name and spooked...."The Closeout Masters" just doesn't sound like a good place to buy an expensive battery, but it's probably just fine. :)

The battery I bought is here:

8400 mAh Dual USB Output, and it was only $55.

This is the cable I bought as I already have a USB to Type M:

Dual Male USB to Single Female USB cable - $2.99/ea

petertfm: Correct. I believe it will have more than enough juice to do the trick (at least that's what I'm hoping!).

NotTheFed: I saw that one there too, but I noted the actual seller name and spooked...."The Closeout Masters" just doesn't sound like a good place to buy an expensive battery, but it's probably just fine. :)

I cannot wait for your feedback about the battery :D

Thanks for the tip! :) I'm not very expert with voltages, Ampere and so on..so i'm getting a little bit confused..But i have to buy a battery pack for my MKIV.. Nothefed i'll wait for your feedback :D

I've a question(maybe stupid one)..Does these battery packs always provides DC in connector to feed the Pineapple? So i don't have to plug a USB hub, one usb for usb memory and one for battery alimentation..

:) No worries, glad to share what I know! :)

To feed the MK4 from a battery pack (or a USB port), you'll need to avail yourself of a USB to Type M connector (I bought some off of Amazon and posted a link in another thread some weeks back) If you just search Amazon for USB to type M you'll find it, and it works great.

We're trying to find enough power in a single battery pack to be able to power the MK4 (via the USB to Type M barrel), and then be able to plug in any USB dongle into the MK4's USB port, or even a USB hub into the MK4 to host multiple USB devices (e.g. 3g dongle and a USB stick).

The only way to pull that off is going to be the Dual USB to Single USB power, hence the battery pack with dual USB outputs.

I know Darren is putting something together for the hakshop along these lines, but I just got antsy because I really don't want to have to power it off the 12v wall wart to use USB drives. He may have some more information on what he's researched as well.

I'll be back with my results in this thread, good luck!

Update: I went back and actually read some of the reviews on this battery, and it appears that the 2 ports are of different amperages. Port 1 is 0.6A, Port 2 is 2A.

This means that the dual USB cable is unnecessary on this battery pack to run periphs on the MK4! Woooot!!!

Are you certain it will provide 10v of output? I'm pretty sure those dual usb to single usb Y cables only increase the current, not the voltage. I don't mean to burst your bubble hfam, but I asked about this a while back: http://forums.hak5.org/index.php?showtopic=25049&st=0&p=192653

If this isn't the case, can you please share a link? I'd love to know how they do it! Basically to double the voltage from a battery source, you have to cross the positive and the negative (sounds weird, I know) - which works fine with two independent batteries, but when its coming from the same source (1 battery, 2 usb ports that are both connected to the one battery) it will just short circuit...which is bad. I just don't want you to fry your new battery pack

telot

Are you certain it will provide 10v of output? I'm pretty sure those dual usb to single usb Y cables only increase the current, not the voltage. I don't mean to burst your bubble hfam, but I asked about this a while back: http://forums.hak5.org/index.php?showtopic=25049&st=0&p=192653

If this isn't the case, can you please share a link? I'd love to know how they do it! Basically to double the voltage from a battery source, you have to cross the positive and the negative (sounds weird, I know) - which works fine with two independent batteries, but when its coming from the same source (1 battery, 2 usb ports that are both connected to the one battery) it will just short circuit...which is bad. I just don't want you to fry your new battery pack

telot

I suspect you're probably correct. I'm going off the description of the product at the link above for the 2-into-1 cable, give it a look.

Perhaps it's still 5V but providing more amps is what's happening.

I'll give it all a try and let ya know how it works out, guess it shipped last night, should have it here by Thursday.

I think that with this particular battery the dual cable may not be necessary given that one of the USB outputs has 5v/2A...just not sure anymore, but I've got to come up with something portable and rechargeable that works with the cruzer fit, because right now in order to make things work I've got to use that 12V wall wart and there's nothing discrete or handy about that. :)

Thanks for the input Telot, I'll let ya know how it goes. I'll try the dual cable I have on the way by plugging it all into my haktop and seeing if it can power the MK4 with a fit plugged in.

I should have some results for all of it here Thursday evening, wish me luck! ;)

It will give you 5v at about 2.6a.

Hopefully that's enough to keep the MK4 with the cruzer fit plugged into it happy and functioning.

It seems that there's JUUUUUUST enough of a deficiency in available power to do the job via single USB port when using the cruzer fit, as I can use an old "long" Patriot 8GB stick just fine when powering the MK4 via USB, but not the cruzer fit. Telot indicated that he's got it working with another branded USB "stick" as well that's of the small form factor, but they're far more expensive than a standard USB stick.

Fingers crossed, hoping it works as intended, or I'll just have more damn portable power than I know what to do with (have a fwe other portable batteries including the New Trent 11K mAh one).

Hopefully that's enough to keep the MK4 with the cruzer fit plugged into it happy and functioning.

It seems that there's JUUUUUUST enough of a deficiency in available power to do the job via single USB port when using the cruzer fit, as I can use an old "long" Patriot 8GB stick just fine when powering the MK4 via USB, but not the cruzer fit. Telot indicated that he's got it working with another branded USB "stick" as well that's of the small form factor, but they're far more expensive than a standard USB stick.

Mine is a super talent pico usb stick and it works great with the mark4 powered over single usb.

Fingers crossed, hoping it works as intended, or I'll just have more damn portable power than I know what to do with (have a fwe other portable batteries including the New Trent 11K mAh one).

Hey, having too much is ALWAYS better than having not enough :) Especially when it comes to batts. What I'm looking for is a nondescript enclosure that has solar and batts for 24/7 365 runtime. I use 12v + solar devices everyday for work, but finding a small enough enclosure to not be too obvious is proving difficult...in the end it all depends on how you want to use it.

telot

Edited by telot

i would not got with just having 5V and any kinda amp from 2A-11A.

reason being cuz its not worth just getting 5V when there are 12V dry batteries that are rechargable weighing about the same. you be better off just getting a 12V 6Ah and a trickle charger.

here couple ideas:

My link

My link

dont forget we might wanna have the mark 3 with the mark 4 connected so go with 12V