Mk3: Atheros Based Files To Flash

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey all,

I've got a couple of questions I'm hoping you folks with a lot more knowledge than me about flashing these units can help with. This post may seem pretty n00b, but please bear with me, I promise I'm not a retard, just leery of bricking my unit and first time flashing one of these.

I've got an MK3 I got from hakshop, updated to 1.0.2. I haven't done anything else with it, it's working fine.

I'd like to apply this update (thanks sebkinne and all the contributors for all the fine work!!), but of course I don't want to brick the device.

- Does flashing this code completely wipe out and restore everything to defaults like I got it from hakshop, except the upgrades of course? (fine if it does)

I'm planning on doing this from a W7 box. I downloaded the FreiFunk EasyFlash ap51-flash-gui-1.0-42.exe, and the 1.7 firmware update from this thread.

In the FreiFunk app, there are checkboxes for "create Nvram partition (for DD-WRT)" and "Uncompressed Load (Kernel with loader)"

- Do I need to check either of those boxes?

- I assume the .squashfs file is used in the "Rootfs" box, and the .lzma file is used in the "Kernel" box. Correct?

Anything else I need to know before I hit "Go!"?

Sorry for the kinda long post, and thanks any assistance in advance!

Hey all,

I've got a couple of questions I'm hoping you folks with a lot more knowledge than me about flashing these units can help with. This post may seem pretty n00b, but please bear with me, I promise I'm not a retard, just leery of bricking my unit and first time flashing one of these.

I've got an MK3 I got from hakshop, updated to 1.0.2. I haven't done anything else with it, it's working fine.

I'd like to apply this update (thanks sebkinne and all the contributors for all the fine work!!), but of course I don't want to brick the device.

- Does flashing this code completely wipe out and restore everything to defaults like I got it from hakshop, except the upgrades of course? (fine if it does)

I'm planning on doing this from a W7 box. I downloaded the FreiFunk EasyFlash ap51-flash-gui-1.0-42.exe, and the 1.7 firmware update from this thread.

In the FreiFunk app, there are checkboxes for "create Nvram partition (for DD-WRT)" and "Uncompressed Load (Kernel with loader)"

- Do I need to check either of those boxes?

- I assume the .squashfs file is used in the "Rootfs" box, and the .lzma file is used in the "Kernel" box. Correct?

Anything else I need to know before I hit "Go!"?

Sorry for the kinda long post, and thanks any assistance in advance!

Hi,

Its kinda like formating and re-installing your computer... Everything gets wiped....

Personally i have not gotten the flash to work on the AP51 (MK3) with the fancy flash util... Works fine for my old MK1 though..

Each time i have used it on the MK3 i ended up with a router that would'nt boot...

So i have used the manuel aproach, wich works great...

But my guess is that its suposed to work with the gui tool also... Just not for mé :D

Antianti,

Flashing is never 100% secure. However, bricking the routers is not as easy as it sounds. I still do not accept any responsibility if you break it.

I would recommend you use the GUI app to flash your fon2202, if that doesn't work, just follow the redboot flashing guide.

However I recommend that you wait until I release the new version in a bit, as there are issues with wifi in the latest release.

It will be fixed within the next few hours or minutes.

Best,

Sebkinne

Flashing is never 100% secure. However, bricking the routers is not as easy as it sounds. I still do not accept any responsibility if you break it.

For sure, I just needed some advice

I would recommend you use the GUI app to flash your fon2202, if that doesn't work, just follow the redboot flashing guide.

However I recommend that you wait until I release the new version in a bit, as there are issues with wifi in the latest release.

It will be fixed within the next few hours or minutes.

I will wait until you recommend, I'm trying to get all set up, and trying to get freifunk. I have flashed openwrt onto this fon before with fonflash utility from gargoyle, I'm not sure if it is the same. I got it to learn openwrt, but I didn't know of jasager and wifipineapple, I hope it is not too difficult to play with it. Thanx

Hi,

Its kinda like formating and re-installing your computer... Everything gets wiped....

Personally i have not gotten the flash to work on the AP51 (MK3) with the fancy flash util... Works fine for my old MK1 though..

Each time i have used it on the MK3 i ended up with a router that would'nt boot...

So i have used the manuel aproach, wich works great...

But my guess is that its suposed to work with the gui tool also... Just not for mé :D

Thanks. Figured it was a lot like "imaging" is in the PC world. That's great news, now I'd just like to get a solid flash method down pat, the last thing I want to is brick my AP51 trying to update it.

sebkinne: What method do you recommend for flashing the AP51 and this new firmware? Can you confirm that the GUI does or doesn't work to flash the AP51? If not, is there another method you could recommend that works well from a Windows 7 box?

Thanks. Figured it was a lot like "imaging" is in the PC world. That's great news, now I'd just like to get a solid flash method down pat, the last thing I want to is brick my AP51 trying to update it.

sebkinne: What method do you recommend for flashing the AP51 and this new firmware? Can you confirm that the GUI does or doesn't work to flash the AP51? If not, is there another method you could recommend that works well from a Windows 7 box?

Hfam, all the methods I described are equally good. None of them give a greater risk for bricking your device.

How about you give the GUI a shot. If that fails, why not try one of the other methods.

My favourite is the one with a tftp server on the win7 box and you using telnet (ie redboot method).

Best,

Sebkinne

Hfam, all the methods I described are equally good. None of them give a greater risk for bricking your device.

How about you give the GUI a shot. If that fails, why not try one of the other methods.

My favourite is the one with a tftp server on the win7 box and you using telnet (ie redboot method).

Best,

Sebkinne

Hi sebkinne,

Thanks lots for the reply, and for clearing up some of the fog for me! I will definitely follow your advice, sounds like even if it doesn't work, that doesn't necessarily mean that the device is bricked.

Also, thanks for clearing up the redboot method, I guess I assumed that method required a *nix system to make it work. I'm going to go back and review that process closer, I'm certainly comfortable with tftp and telnet!

Appreciation to all for the replies, and to sebkinne for all the hard work that goes into releasing firmware updates!!

I'll attempt the flash tonight (after sebkinne posts the update that fixes the wifi issue) and report back with methods, what worked, what didn't, etc.

Thanks again all!

I have done both methods, as a g33k i used the redboot more since it longer and more complicated, download the AP51-Flash tool and use that, its as simple as unplugging the power, connecting the router to your computer via ethernet, starting the tool, choosing your files and hitting go and then powering the router on. I will be finishing a guide with screen shots soon.

Edited by Ghostshell

I have done both methods, as a g33k i used the redboot more since it longer and more complicated, download the AP51-Flash tool and use that, its as simple as unplugging the power, connecting the router to your computer via ethernet, starting the tool, choosing your files and hitting go and then powering the router on. I will be finishing a guide with screen shots soon.

Thanks brother! I was looking over digininja's redboot guide, and would require me doing some serious catching up on how exactly redboot is implemented, etc. Not that I mind, but at this point I'd rather take the path of least resistance regarding flashing a new version to the MK3, and spend more time learning/using the MK3 itself.

I'll definitely take the advice you've both given and go with the GUI version tonight. I'm a bit apprehensive, but you guys who are clearly well-versed in this process have given me some confidence :)

Looking forward to your guide too!

Thanks again for all the assists and great work you're all doing!! I'll stop back in tonight after I've had a chance to flash the latest 1.7 using the GUI.

Looking forward to that guide. Great works guys...

Freifunk Easyflash

-------------------

If you dont want to fiddle with telnet, tftp and IP settings, this is for

you. The fonera-flash (Linux) and the fonera-flash.exe (Windows) programs

will flash the Freifunk enhanced version of the FON software, but can also

be used to flash OpenWrt/Kamikaze or DD-WRT. The program comes with it's own

TFTP server and because it is based on libpcap, the current network config of

your PC does not matter. You need low-level access to the ethernet device,

(run as root on Linux, install WinPcap on Windows see http://winpcap.org/ ).

The telnet access to RedBoot needs to be enabled of course. This is the

case, if you enabled it via serial cable, via the sound file approach (see

below), or if you already flashed ff-fonera-pack, OpenWrt or DD-WRT. For in-depth

info about telnet refer to http://wiki.freifunk-hannover.de/Fonera_mit_OLSR .

[Windows]

1) Connect the Fonera to the ethernet jack. Use a cross linked cable.

2) Browse to http://winpcap.org/ , download the installer and install it.

3) Download http://download.berlin.freifunk.net/fonera/fonera-flash-gui-1.0-42.exe

4) Run the program. Select interface. Click Go. Switch on the Fonera.

[Linux]

1) Connect the Fonera to the ethernet jack. Use a cross linked cable.

2) Switch on the network card, e.g. "sudo ifconfig eth0 up".

3) Download http://download.berlin.freifunk.net/fonera/ap51-flash-fonera-1.0-42

4) Run "sudo ./ap51-flash-fonera-1.0-42 eth0" (run without eth0 to list interfaces)

Linux: Extend the command line for your own roofs file name, kernel file name and

with the optional keyword "nvram" to create the empty nvram partition necessary for

DD-WRT. In that order. Windows: Enable the switches and browse for rootfs and/or

kernel files. Enable the nvram switch if desired.

Note1: Please use a direct connection (e.g. via cross linked eth cable) because

the program starts to flash every device which sends an ARP packet and listens

to port 9000 (e.g. you favorite DVD player with RedBoot & Linux). Do not get

nervous - the process needs ~10 minutes to complete. Wait until "Done." shows up.

Note2: The program start with "fis init" which erases anything currently

flashed in that thing. You loose all of your previous configs as well as

installed firmwares of course.

Note3: There are two different programs for linux: ap51-flash and ap51-flash-fonera.

The first is smaller (does not have kernel nor rootfs), which is suitable for

flashing your own rootfs/kernel (Kamikaze, Meraki-Softs, DD-WRT). The second tool

is larger, because it embeds a kernel as well as the FON+Freifunk rootfs.

Edited by Mr-Protocol

is there something special i have to do to clear the cache ? i've got live logs of old sessions and i clear cache but everything i logged is still in my new session...

edit: by the way im lovin the new 1.9 update. everything is working EXCELLENT ! VERY good work guys!

edit: ngrep works fine. just uncomment the lines eg.,(#ngrep commands | should be ngrep commands)

Edited by allisonmagic

is there something special i have to do to clear the cache ? i've got live logs of old sessions and i clear cache but everything i logged is still in my new session...

edit: by the way im lovin the new 1.9 update. everything is working EXCELLENT ! VERY good work guys!

Great to hear that you like it!

I had several sleepless nights to get this out of the way ;)

What logs are retained through the clearing of the cache? Arp and DHCP will be retained, but the others should be cleared?

@Mother,

How about you try booting the router? The first boot can take about 5 minutes. Just run a "ping -t 172.16.42.1" (in windows) and wait for it to reply. Then after around 5 minutes you should be able to ssh into the pineapple.

Make sure though that your NICs IP is on the same subnet (and if it is used for ics, it needs the ip 172.16.42.42).

Best,

Sebkinne

Edited by sebkinne