Hacking WoW

B 3 A S T

I'm a starter on all of these hacks and I got to wondering how do people hack world of warcraft accounts. Ive had my account hacked several of times and I was hoping someone could help me on this. :D Thanks

*sigh*

Ways that any account can get hacked:

• You told some one your password
  • Your password is easy to guess
  • You told some one your email account password
  • Your email account password is easy to guess
  • Your computer has malware on it that is stealing passwords and other information
  • You set your account secrete question to have an answer some one could guess
  • You set your email account secrete question to have an answer some one could guess
  • (Specific to WoW:) You gave some one enough information about your bank account that they are able to call blizzard pretending to be you

If you have repeatedly had your account stolen, start again, start by reinstalling the OS (!from a known good source!), changing all your passwords and secrete questions. Further more it would be wise to cancel any bank/credit cards and have new ones reissued, you might also have to get the account number changed.

I used to work for Blizzard, and I can tell you this. No one hacked your account.

Your account was compromised by your lack of security, or you sharing your password.

How to make sure it doesn't happen again? Secure your computer properly, don't share your account details.

• 4 weeks later...

just a heads up if you report this within a few days they will restore you're char with its gear ( but you cant wait weeks)

now that being said i did just hear that several thousand accounts were compromised over the holidays

'

just what heard not sure how dont really care

I once joined a WEP network that a user had opened a port for WoW. All I had to do was just open up Cain and Abel and Wireshark. Done deal. Please don't say you are like this guy and use a better encrypted wifi security.

Then again even if it was an open network it's illigal for you to use it without permission. I know, I know thouse so called hackers who steal WoW accounts for profit (a.k.a. Chinese-farmers) don't really care for that.

Anyhow you can get your account back no matter what because you can always provide original CD-keys, photo ID and in best cases you have authenticator and if some one just sells your gear and trades your gold away Blizz can restore that if you file a ticket with in a few weeks of the 'hack'.

• 3 weeks later...

I found this interesting, it's hacking the WoW APIs to build up your char. (Not hacking accounts)

http://bit.ly/cfoi4a

I used to work for Blizzard, and I can tell you this. No one hacked your account.

Your account was compromised by your lack of security, or you sharing your password.

How to make sure it doesn't happen again? Secure your computer properly, don't share your account details.

I disagree. My account got "hacked" once by a powerleveling company. I know this because they specifically said they never needed me to tell them my account info. I never gave them the info, and they still did the job. I got into trouble though, and also now I hardly know the character. I wouldn't recommend powerleveling.

I disagree. My account got "hacked" once by a powerleveling company. I know this because they specifically said they never needed me to tell them my account info. I never gave them the info, and they still did the job. I got into trouble though, and also now I hardly know the character. I wouldn't recommend powerleveling.

I'm guessing that a 'powerleveling company' is a company that levels a character on your behalf.

They must have acquired your username and password if they where, in fact, levelling a character in your account. Blizzard would not leave giant holes with which other companies make money from.

lol, Runescape what is this 2002?

just a heads up if you report this within a few days they will restore you're char with its gear ( but you cant wait weeks)

now that being said i did just hear that several thousand accounts were compromised over the holidays

'

just what heard not sure how dont really care

This is true they will restore your character til the last time you acctually played it if reported within a few days, but you cant try n fool them by telling them what you've lost and lying about better items, they double check with individual character logs and in each log, theres every detail your characters ever done from looting items buying items to getting levels and logging on and off, so blizzard have that covered well IMO

I lol's when people say "Some one hacked my *insert random game here* account". When it's really they are just dumb, and either one or more of the things Sparda said happened.

I agree with u, U need 2 be more careful with ur account.

And also, only 13 year-old kids play WoW now because they have nothing better 2 do with their lives.

• 2 months later...
*sigh*

Ways that any account can get hacked:

• You told some one your password
  • Your password is easy to guess
  • You told some one your email account password
  • Your email account password is easy to guess
  • Your computer has malware on it that is stealing passwords and other information
  • You set your account secrete question to have an answer some one could guess
  • You set your email account secrete question to have an answer some one could guess
  • (Specific to WoW:) You gave some one enough information about your bank account that they are able to call blizzard pretending to be you

If you have repeatedly had your account stolen, start again, start by reinstalling the OS (!from a known good source!), changing all your passwords and secrete questions. Further more it would be wise to cancel any bank/credit cards and have new ones reissued, you might also have to get the account number changed.

you forgot phishing attacks/social enginerring

• 5 weeks later...
I once joined a WEP network that a user had opened a port for WoW. All I had to do was just open up Cain and Abel and Wireshark. Done deal. Please don't say you are like this guy and use a better encrypted wifi security.

Pretty sure the WOW traffic is encrypted. So not sure how doing MITM would help. I tried sniffing my own traffic when I used to play and there was no chance.

The reason I stopped working on the Tor node (if you looked in security section of forum) is because my guess is that people were using my Tor node as a pivot point to spam emails. Not just any emails. Emails spoofed from Blizzard reguarding WoW account password change or whatever. Trying to get people to click their links. Not only that.. They were using stolen AOL accounts to SMTP command prompt to AOL's mail server to send the emails encrypted with BASE64. I decrypted and noticed wtf the emails said lol.

Aside from that.. WAY back when, when blizzard had IRC chat enabled, I made the first (and probably only) account cracker that used the IRC login. The IRC login was the same credentials as the Diablo II accounts and any other account for that matter. I was targeting D2 LoD.

I did manage to get a few accounts. Nothin worth wild too much. But they soon fixed it.

In regards to the OP. Why not buy the Blizzard Authenticator if you keep getting "hacked"?

Edited by Mr-Protocol

Pretty sure the WOW traffic is encrypted. So not sure how doing MITM would help. I tried sniffing my own traffic when I used to play and there was no chance.

The reason I stopped working on the Tor node (if you looked in security section of forum) is because my guess is that people were using my Tor node as a pivot point to spam emails. Not just any emails. Emails spoofed from Blizzard reguarding WoW account password change or whatever. Trying to get people to click their links. Not only that.. They were using stolen AOL accounts to SMTP command prompt to AOL's mail server to send the emails encrypted with BASE64.I decrypted and noticed wtf the emails said lol.

Aside from that.. WAY back when, when blizzard had IRC chat enabled, I made the first (and probably only) account cracker that used the IRC login. The IRC login was the same credentials as the Diablo II accounts and any other account for that matter. I was targeting D2 LoD.

I did manage to get a few accounts. Nothin worth wild too much. But they soon fixed it.

In regards to the OP. Why not buy the Blizzard Authenticator if you keep getting "hacked"?

Any other laws you broke you would like to confess to?

Any other laws you broke you would like to confess to?

Let's see... They were sending email spam via my network and I decrypted the emails that were on SMTP protocol and using PUBLIC base64 for encryption and noticed they were spam. It was a red flag of the content of my network and I looked into it like any network admin should. How is that illegal? It's not. I own the network, I own all the packets flowing through it.

And yeah I got accounts. I'll admit it all day. Fact is... it's past the statute of limitations. It was Diablo II game accounts. Not US Gov't pentagon logins. So nothing can be done. Are you not familiar with the possibilities of the content on this forum? Pineapple, Interceptor, so on...

Fact is, at least I do that sort of stuff (and I'm sure many others do) because we have an idea and a "what if this worked" kinda of thought. So we do it. Either way it's hackers/crackers that has MADE security what it is today.

Not to mention, if you REALLY look at every copyright, every law, ever picture you "right click > save" you are breaking the law. It is almost impossible to not break any laws just from normal PC/internet usage. Just depends on the severity and whom really gives a damn about it? Will you be arrested by taking a picture from online and putting it as your background? No...

Edited by Mr-Protocol