Just a poor geek

thedude

Aye, the military is always an option, its up to you how far down the list it is though. And if you have a "gamers physique" it may not be as simple as just joining up. I would avoid becoming a ground pounder though.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, things are getting so bad for me now that I am selling blood twice a week only making $50 /week. I live in a college town and I swear you got to know someone to even be able to set foot on campus.

If there is a medicine testing program institute near you, you might be able to earn some more....

It beats the out of donating blood.

aah I mean Plasma. I say blood cause they filter it. Doing medical testing gig, would you just look at the campus programs for it? Soudns interesting enough to at least look in.

Your Situation sounds very similar to mine :).

I live in the UK basically in the middle of know where and there are very few jobs going. (im 21 btw) I’m volunteering 1 day a week to teach the older generation how to use computers and work in a Store on the weekends. I figured that because I have a lot of free time I would teach myself Python and try to start to do some basic programming. I’m also starting an Open University course next year (Its a computing degree all done from home).

I suggest you use all the free time you have now to your advantage.

There is lots of money about for people willing to work. Building a skill set is the only real way of making good money and not having to do a lot of hours. Dumpster diving is a good idea for making a bit of cash, you will be shocked what you will find, fix it up and sell it on ebay.

That or join the armed forces, there are always jobs and depending on what kind of scores you get on your entrance exam, you can find a lot of training opportunities right of the bat that will give you a very solid future when you come out.

Hang in there. STAY PRODUCTIVE.

And destroy any unneccessary expenses when you don't have an income. XboxLive, World of Warcraft, w/e.

I'm 23 years old, and was in your exact situation 6 months ago, then 3 months ago I was hired as a programmer, and I'm budgeting all I can to pay off my student loans and move ASAP.

These users suggesting arm forces, are you guys by chance one of the "sponsers" lol.

Don't look at me. I once told a recruiter I was openly gay, and I could not supress it so he would leave me alone. It worked :) But then, not sure if it's the same over there as it is in the states. If your a 16 yr old male (wow.. that was a long time ago) and they have your phone number then they basically target and hound you till you basically curse them out or find a clever way to get them to quit stalking you.

was just reading this thread and was wondering how the interview was......

i now understand why most of you guys are good at what you do!...

a quote of life like my master says "no pain no gain" ( some martial art thing) but it applies every where!

We get free grenades for every 10 people who sign up.

why bother there is always the "anarchy cookbook" :P

interview went good. We were asking each other questions and such. He told me that they wont have a decsion 2 to 3 weeks from now. Guy is using Wireshark so kudos for me Im using wireshark myself. He told me I got a good chance of getting the job just because I showed up half hour before it was sechduled.

Pretending to be gay to stay out of the arm forces...Well you know they got a policy "Dont ask dont tell". On the other hand I couldnt pull of being gay without laughing. Its just not me. Going into the arm forces for a computer job is not a bad idea. I actually looked into and talking it over with a company and might have a connection going on. I personaly will send bakdor to Bin lol

Hey, now don't get me wrong, you wanna serve your country, then my hat is off to you, I show full respect for vets and active military, and truthfully, there was a small part of me that would love to feel the honor in doing so, but it just was not for me, it was not what I wanted and yah.. pulling off being gay is really hard.. unless your so pissed at being tracked like a mouse by some guy from the military that sits around getting paid for stalking teenagers that you couldn't laugh if you tried. Hell, he ended up calling multiple times AT MY FRIENDS HOUSE, sometimes around midnight for god's sake. It's rediculous, and to top it all off, these people get commission on it. I once knew a guy that came home @ 3am, to see the recruiter waiting for him on his living room couch! Now that is just cause for a restraining order... Unfortunately here, recruiters and military promotion is not just cause for such an order...

• 2 weeks later...

Well its been roughly 1 1/2 weeks since I applied for that job and I just got a email saying they found somone better. Back to square one again. How are you to get experiance in somthing if you cant get a job in that field (General question in all fields)? Somone could have the know how from College but a job area will turn you away because they want somone with experiance.

My advice is this. Write and re-write your CV, I'm sure we can help you with this if your new to the game, and mail bomb it to every relevant recruitment agency you can find (do this once a week so its always fresh, and your always being looked at). Apply for loads of jobs at once, its better to have to turn things down than only have one thing in the pot at once, and always if asked say you are interviewing but you've been told not to give any information out about the position (makes sense, quite often recruitment agency staff are not interested in you, they want to know what jobs they can put a tender in for). If you do this, you look better to recruiters than if you say "I have nothing going on atm".

Also, aim a bit lower than you might want. My big break into the world of IT didn't come from my phone support jobs, which were very technical, it came from getting a sub-minimum wage doing a site clearance at my university. I had to remove tons of old computers, printers, switches and general IT crap from a campus, sort it into stuff we could recycle, stuff we had to chuck and stuff we had to dispose of as toxic waste and then load up gigantic skips with all this. Horrible work, but I finished way ahead of schedule and spent the rest of my contract doing desk side support, and as a result I my contract was extended and I was eventually offered a far better position. My point being, you have to earn it with hard work and slog if you don't have the qualifications. Just being in the right department and going above and beyond your job role consistently will get you noticed.

So, your task for the next week is to use your internet access to read up on every bit of CV writing advice you can, and redraft your CV 5 times. You can also try contacting this company that didn't give you the job, and ask them what areas they didn't feel were strong enough, and what areas they liked.

Shit loads of stuff, I had 6 P4 3.2GHz systems with 2GB of RAM each at one point, boxes of motherboards with the same parts, couple of LCD monitors. I still have a pair of 24 port cisco 2950s (are these any good still?), but I ended up chucking a load of things I really didn't need including a $10K IBM ATM switch. Most of the stuff was in a really good condition, but just to old to be any use. So while you wanted to take it all home, it was a bit of a mistake with a lot of the stuff.

i was computer science once upon a time. i learned that most good computer jobs are intense programming jobs, i couldn't stand my programming intern after a week. Most networking jobs are low pay and you (as an employee) have a reputation to upkeep. Your reputation is based on how well other people's products work, as in routers/servers.

so i went engineering

Not to sound mean but... How do you expect to find a job when you and I quote "All I do is play XBL all day every day trying to find a job?" <~ Ya... Doesn't make sense...

yeah i'm doing the "between jobs thing too" at the moment. after holding down some helldesk job for 14 months just the stress of it all and feeling like I had no control over my life made me quit!

so yeah I can pretty much spend all day geeking around on the net but it is constructive. learning about all sorts of hacks and how people do things. if i was feeling more resourceful i'd dumpster dive and flog stuff on ebay. for the time being i've got a bit in the bank and my outgoings are super mega low.

1# keep a structured schedule. rise early, go to bed at a sensible time

2# eat good food not junk

3# keep learning

4# be helpful

5# volunteer

6# make something awesome

7# watch this

8# some URLS u might like here here and here.

also here, here and here and here!

@bingowings85 I duno what the video or last four links you posted was suppose to help me with...but interesting.