Just wondering...

SlashHeist

I want to get into Linux and do some of the stuff that is being talked about on the newer episodes of Hak5. I was just wondering if anyone could point me into a good direction of where to start?

I dont have any programming training or anything so I am a total noob. =(

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I want to get into Linux and do some of the stuff that is being talked about on the newer episodes of Hak5. I was just wondering if anyone could point me into a good direction of where to start?

I dont have any programming training or anything so I am a total noob. =(

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Konboot

Ophcrack

Thats linux :D :lol:

I find the best way to learn is to throw yourself in and try to swim, install linux on one of your machines and use it instead of windows. It will be hard at first, you'll not be able to do much but then you'll get it. Don't try to do any hacking type stuff to start with, just learn to use the system, how to look at files, how to search for things, how to launch apps and run your package manager, then progress to stuff shown on the show.

In terms of which distro, Ubuntu is good for beginners as it does a lot for you but if you want to get really hands on then it also hides a lot or messes up things you are trying to do by hand by opposing your changes with its automated systems.

I really like Arch linux as you have to do everything yourself. Gentoo is even more hardcore but an excellent learning environment.

If you want to get really down and dirty go for Linux From Scratch, LFS, do a full system build from the ground up. I did this once, learnt loads then took it straight back off again!

Just remember, you WILL mess it up! BUT don't worry, just keep on tinkering. And when you mess it up, see if you can fix it. If not, or if it's too deep for you the first go, just reload and try again.

Always remember in this endeavor you WILL fail, but in failing you WILL succeed.

I started with Slackware 10.2

Those were the good days.

o mate i used slackware 5 i think it was , but the lack of package management and compiling everything from source was a nightmare, however it taught me well.

as for disto , ubuntu might be your best bet , it has great package management and if your a hak5 watcher then your find the guides much easier to follow as Darren uses ubuntu for the demo's

of course this could just be starting disto wars but i think ubuntu is ya best bet.

I would like to point out that Backtrack is fantastic... as a live CD, don't be tempted to install it. If you want to tools it has in a permanent fashion, I recommend you install a different distro (say, Ubuntu) then install what ever tools you wish to use in that.

Why wouldnt you install BT? It works great for pentesting! I guess if you want to do more than just pentest with linux then i would have to agree with you but why not install if you are just using linux to pentest?

That's the point, it's for penetrating *things* <waves hands>, not using as your desktop.

and the disto wars have begun

Remember the readme rules:

Don't start pointless flame wars:

OS wars, text editor wars, game console wars, we've seen them all before, they're really tedious and no-one ever wins. If you don't like something then that's entirely your choice but don't insult someone because they prefer the competition's product.

Sorry but i would just like to note "catcyanow" your the one with the banner stating "APPLE HATER" & "VISTA HATER"

I was infact creating alittle banter as in a pub . . . . . .

Sorry to all i insulted

in other news welldone on getting ubuntu installed, the best thing i find with ubuntu is the package management

apt-get install "here put the application"

and it will grab everything needed and install it.

I started with Mandrake 7, then I try SuSe 6, then try RedHat, then try Fedora, then try Ubuntu, then try backtrack (it's a lot of fun), but my choice is Ubuntu and backtrack.

Just try more than 2 Linux Distro (because now Linux is more easy to use and learn), then you can let your choice.