Have you ever pirated anything?

VaKo

Have you ever pirated anything?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. ?

• Yes
    • No

Out of interest, who has pirated something? Anything from software, music, movies etc. Anything you got for free when you really should have paid?

I'm not interested in why, or for what reasons, I just want to know the answer to a yes/no question.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am on the line of piracy. I pay for things, and I pirate things. If what I want is a fair price, I will pay for it. But it is way too expensive (adobe anyone?) I will most likely pirate it.

P.S. This is not me trying to explain why I pirate things, its just my views on the piracy situation.

Ive previously (and recently) downloaded movies. However, for the most part, I've only done it because I own the disc which is either unreadable, or lost.

I would be tempted to pirate much more if it wasnt for BT throttling my torrents. 1.5kb/s during the day makes me want to throw up, so now i torrent overnight when i have to.

I've also done music, which I've subsequently bought if I liked it; if i didnt, I delete it.

I prefer to think that piracy is only a crime if you are profiting off the work of others without paying them their due.

Copyright laws would disagree with that statement, but I feel my philosophy better holds up to ethical boundaries concerning the power of information and the freedom of knowledge for the human race.

Actually it is, your making a conscious choice that you shouldn't pay for something because you don't want to. This is something I really hate about the P2P scene these days, its not theft, its some kinda social movement that is liberating the information. If you download a movie, watch it and enjoy it, your profiting from the experience someone else put hard work into creating. Why can't you just admit that you just don't want to pay for something?

Actually it is, your making a conscious choice that you shouldn't pay for something because you don't want to. This is something I really hate about the P2P scene these days, its not theft, its some kinda social movement that is liberating the information. If you download a movie, watch it and enjoy it, your profiting from the experience someone else put hard work into creating. Why can't you just admit that you just don't want to pay for something?

Nice nice! I assume you caught what i was getting at before. I do agree. However, i steal software and music. Not much more than that these days. I've taken to buying much music now days. However Vista and Office might have to wait.

This is true, it is copyright infringement and that doesn't excuse anyone and allow them to do it, it's just that if i personally want to try a non freeware program and see if its good then ill do it. When that becomes outdated i may decide to buy a legit copy of the new software. However, bugs from the crack to remove the anti reproduction software thats in the program makes it less valuable and not as reliable as the original. Same applies to video, bootlegs and reproductions tend to be less quality than the bluray or DVD high definition merchandise. Its like sneaking in to those old drive thru movie places in the 70's, if you liked the movie you'll buy it.

I agree, it's pretty annoying to me when people act as if what they're doing isn't stealing. I personally try before I buy in the case of music because I really like supporting muscicians since music is a huge part of my life, but seeing as I don't have a steady income I can't afford to drop $10 or $15 on an album when I don't even know if I'm going to enjoy it; however when it comes to anime, movies, TV, software, I usually don't pay for it because the price for the crap is outrageous and it doesn't have nearly as big of an impact on my life. I realize it's stealing, and tbh I don't care, especially in the case of movies where they always clear the price of what it cost them to make the movie by millions on the first weekend in the theatres alone, they don't need my money paying for the overpriced DVDs/Bluray Discs.

i do pirate movies.. only because i know they make so much money from the box offices.. and besides... the actors already get paid for their work (i assume) aswell as the producers, its the company's that loose the money... but for music.. i try my best not to pirate it.. because the music industry is terrible.. and some of the bands i listen to don't have labels they make and sell thier cd's by themselves... so it is just wrong to pirate things like that... thats my take//

I support artist I really like. Movies I never buy them, if I couldn't pirate them, I still wouldn't buy them. Games I buy on steam because it's easier then pirating. Software, I download the trial and then find a key. If I can't find a key, I will buy it if I really want it and it's not expensive. There is also a better chance I will buy it if I can find a discount code :)

well....

Movies - I just wait for on netflix.. I can't stand cam-rips...

Software - I am in the MSDN account from college. I can get anything I want as long as it's

the business edition (except office)

Last game I bought that I downloaded off the i-net was Trackmania United... you get 3(three) chances to install.. After that, too bad too sad. Pissed me off really hard. TBH, I would love to pirate that game just for the shit of it because I did pay hard earned money ($54 TBE) to get the right ass cheek. (2 times hdd crashed, and one of those two, I hadnt even played it yet. Got a new hdd, installed, system got a bad case of xp crapping out, reinstall, oops fuck you for playing, please pay again.)

I'll be honest with you, I don't like pirating really.

I like steam though. That is a great system. I can still download Half Life 1/pack if I wanted just cause I had it originally.

Other stuff, I just use open source cause it's just as good and great at getting the job done:

CDBurnerXP- Awesome and easy to use cd/dvd/iso burning app. I suggest if you never used it, go get it! (Works with ALL versions of windows > 95!)

Magic ISO's Magic Disk- Great ISO mount system. Also you can create ISOs with this program.

The GiMP - Self explanitory.. Unless your a professional (like a l337 pro) just use the gimp... Honestly..

Open Office - Hell whole buisnesses use it. I spoofed ALL of my college professors with it (i.e. read any syllabus 'MUST USE MICROSOFT WORD!'.. Makes me wonder if Microsoft Pays them to say that....)

Even games around 90% of the time if I play, it's a freeware game. My fav? Sauerbraten

So in short, I dont pirate...

Man if we could get something like netflix here, I would never download movies. I'd rather use netflix. Maybe the Movies industries should spend money setting up company's like netflix instead of spending money suing people.

Hell, it's a great service. I'm sure it will be within your reach in the next year or two..

BTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I watched a hell of a cool documentary the other night!

If your a linux head, and wanna learn up on some Linus/Gnu history, I HIGHLY recommend Revolution OS

It's mainly about Linus Torvalds and Richard Stallman and how Linux really came together. (btw, something just tells me Linux and Richard don't get along too well :P)

btw... just dont listen to the band at the end.. no REALLY... dont do it.