HaK5 is boring

filip007

Yes, yes you can hack it. You need to increase the voltage the phone line provides to your modem. I cannot stress how dangerous it is to play with electricity however, so be safe. Simply remove the power transformer from your DSL modem, and wire it directly to the mains. This should increase the free voltage pool and allow the clock to sync with the DSLAM at a higher speed that your ISP has limited you to, this giving your more internets, faster.

... this giving your more internets, faster.

And quieter too. At least for us.

Hak5 dumbed itself down the tail end of last season and got slammed for it. Darren doesn't want to dumb it down again for fear of not being allowed into defcon or shmocon.

If you want simple, try Tekzilla. Otherwise catch up and get with the program. Remember that Winners don't use warez.

P.S. Mucking with your lifeline to the internet could get you kicked off the network. This would be bad for you and the parent that pays for that connection. If you were my kid and got me kicked off the net you'd find that Siberia was *NICE* compared to the punishment I would have time to dish out.

P.P.S. Constructive comments are always welcome - until the question about hacking your modem came up you were just fine.

P.P.P.S. Google is your hacking buddy. You WON'T get the answers about things like that on any legit forum by asking questions like that. And because there are professionals here that need to separate work from play we simply cannot answer here.

My network is ADSL connection with 312KB/s download as MAX can i hack for more download speed...?

I hear getting in a bath tub & submerging the dsl modem in water, while plugged in, helps. I can't be 100% sure, but you'll have to try it out & let me know how it goes.

here ya go! I have been wanting to write this tutorial for a long time.

HOW TO TURN ADSL INTO SDSL (and increase speed)

Tools you will need: Phillips screw driver, flat head screw driver, wire splicers, weight scale, soldering kit, etc.

How to:

1. Open up your DSL modem.

2. You should see a chip with the label siemen. This is your quickflash chip used to ensure the modem doesnt get tapped, so go ahead and start desoldering that chip. This may take awhile and you have to be very careful because of the connections being so close to the board... one wrong slip and it's toast.

3. Once you have removed all the chips labeled siement, your going to need to rewire your phone cable to BoE spec for DSL (Boot over Ethernet). If your using bell wire, you should only have 4 wires. Red, green, black, and brown. Double up the Red and Black ONLY on the connections between the wall and the phone box. This is important. To make this magic happen, there has to be enough bandwidth and ohms on that side of the phone line or else it will not work. Next take the Red wire and disconnect it from the phone box, for it's now not needed and the phone company with catch you with the signal sent out of that wire.

4. Go here and download this firmware (depends on your modem)

5. Now here's the fun part! Take the weight scale (digital of course) and take it apart. Remember those chips we de-soldered earlier? We need to replace those. You may need two weight scales, depending on how many chips are in them, but what we are looking for exactly is this one chip that is used in the scale, coincidentally, it is the only chip in the scale. Put that chip from the scale into the modem. Solder them in place.

6. Run the firmware upgrade...

7. Connect and enjoy 30mbps up and down!

w00t!

I hear getting in a bath tub & submerging the dsl modem in water, while plugged in, helps. I can't be 100% sure, but you'll have to try it out & let me know how it goes.

LAWL! yah! I wanna know how that goes too!.

BTW MAKE SURE YOU FOLLOW THAT PREVIOUS TUTORIAL ABOUT HOOKING TO THE MAINS FIRST!!

OOOH.. Super Guey Tastey Doublepostity!

Lol

..That is all I really have to say to this. A big, fat, juicy mofo of a Lol.

OOOH.. Super Guey Tastey Doublepostity!

Hahaha, maaan, I funking love Hak5. Even if there wasnt an awesome series, these forums rule.

EDIT:

What the funk? Apparently I have two accounts. This one, and another one with an awfully similar username and password.. :o

HaK5 was so boring he was bothered enough to post. Thanks for the lols.

@filip007 - I hear unscrewing a 60watt lighbulb and sticking in your penis while urinating will increase your download speeds. But I could be wrong, don't quote me on that.

@filip007 - I hear unscrewing a 60watt lighbulb and sticking in your penis while urinating will increase your download speeds. But I could be wrong, don't quote me on that.

people have tried using an electricla fence as well....never heard from them again tho...

Im actually going to throw you a bone here mate.

Im with BT, and recently, I read that cutting the "Bell Wire" increased speeds. So I did it.. If speeds have increased, theyre barely noticable. 'pparently, the bell wire has no purpose, and just caused some interference, so cutting it was meant to help.

But now Im taking back the bone, because your from Slovenia.. And something tells me, im not sure what, that you dont actually use BT.

I think the OP was meant to read..........

You're hacks are just boring, you show things that are way past my point comprehension or I lack the required skill to put them into action.

My network is ADSL connection with 312KB/s download at maximum speed, can somebody show me how to defy the laws of physics, do all the work for me and tell me what sex with a woman is like?

I love the show, maybe I'm just being a fanboy, and I've only been doing the technolust thing for about 3-4 years now; but a lot of the stuff that Darren, Matt and his guest hosts have shown are new things to me. Unfortunatey, I don't have a lot of time in the world to experiment, so its fun to watch. like, i really wanna get down and dirty with net cat, and do the internet redirection, but i just don't have time anymore. Which sucks.

But at the same token, the simple stuff is always nice too. Just don't fill every show with remedial bullshit.