Next Generation Gamin

Destro

Hey everyone! My brother introduced me to this, a couple months ago. It is called on live. It is the next generation of gaming. It is just about in beta, so sign up! The website isOn Live. Check it out and tell me your thoughts.

cheers,

Destro

EDIT: Meant to right Gaming, sorry,

Similar idea to stream my game but only dealing with the end market for selling games to people

http://streammygame.com

Yeah I think some console people (Sega maybe) were thinking about an idea like this when they were making the dreamcast but with computers always getting more powerful and cheaper it probably won't pay out.

Also steam and, goodoldgames www.gog.com , impulse and other platform delivery services that are out atm and working fully

I recall seeing an advert many years ago about sega doing this kind of thing, I believe it was called sega channel or some shit.

The concept for it is interesting but with alot of first world countries barely having half decent internet connection speeds I doubt it will fully take off.

Besides as we have already learned from previous console's the one that has the highest modding potential and can play copied games usually is the console that comes out on top, PSX and XBOX come to mind.

p.s: Thats one damn fugly console ^_^

yeah old news is old. i think maybe at first with low res games might be ok but this type of thing really wont catch on big till every one has high speed fiber or faster to their homes.

Well our PM has promissed us aussie folks 100mbps bandwidth over the next couple of years, so this thing may kick off down under. Thats if the ISP's don't place us on shitty low caps like they usually do.

Hmmm, Sega, Atari and EA are backing this up...

Also, lets be honest, when you say "if this goes down, your paying for something you can't use" you have to bear in mind that that is a risk you have to take with all cloud computing systems and all multiplayer games. If Valve were to close up shop and their master servers went down there would be no servers for anybody in any of their games. If Someone at Microsoft accidentally tripped over a Cat5 cable and pulled it out of its socket, there might be no Xbox Live.

Besides, its still in Beta, so they can figure out server loads at this point and upscale later.

Well our PM has promissed us aussie folks 100mbps bandwidth over the next couple of years, so this thing may kick off down under. Thats if the ISP's don't place us on shitty low caps like they usually do.

thats why alot of isp's are trying to implement the bandwidth cap now. its not because of people using too much bandwidth, or because people are torrenting. they know that very soon everyone will be getting all of thier entertainment over the toobs. movies, tv, gaming, music, you name it. and they want to have theyre nickle & dime traps all setup ahead of time so they can charge you hundreds of dollars a month in bandwidth instead of 30-50 bucks a month for unlimited.

@webjockey, lol i like how you think xbox live uses 1 cat5 cable ^_^

about onlive, its only gona be beta tested in the US. Apparently they tried it with austraila and the lag was very noticable. There are alot of articles that challenge the onlive service. Theres a decent article at eurogamer but I forgot the link. If you find it, check it out.

the problem with this service is ping times

internet connection required at all times and it has to be fast.

most public wifi places will block the ports or be too slow

if each user doesn't have a dedicated server (virtual servers) then if a user runs a buggy game and it sends the vm into one of those crashes where the games exe file takes up 100% cpu usage, then it will cause problems for all other users on the server

if the servers have a outage, then your games wont work

since the games are on their servers, you wont be able to install mods, run cheats that require to edit the icon or a cfg file to enable developer mode

you don't own the games so you can be paying their service fee for months then they go out of business and you lost all of that money which could be used to just buy the games

games don't come out often enough to allow for a monthly fee

if they want their service to be better they need to add console games

so high monthly fees, very limited control over the game, cant play a game while downloading or doing other things, cant use it on public networks that may not forward the ports, high bandwidth requirements, more of a hassle than the current DRM

many years back there used to be a service that did a good job streaming games and they did it for free

it was called StreamTheory

while the cpu load wasn't done by them, you could start playing a 600MB game demo with you only having to download like 50MB, it loaded the game 1 area at a time, it was useful in the slow DSL days, 768k/184

if you head to a area thats not fully downloaded yet, it wouldn't let you walk in there, it did things in a way so you wouldn't be running away from something and hit a loading wall

but they dies out quickly due to then needing to alter the games in a way that would allow streaming like this

the problem with this service is ping times

That would also be my biggest concern. Even if they figure out everything else you would get latency because your keyboard/mouse input has to travel to their servers and the image has to get back again. I don't see that kind of technology performing smoothly unless they place their servers directly at your ISP.

I believe OnLive is any good not sooner than i see it in the real world outside of E³, GDC, etc.

Wow I just found out about this OnLive thing from CO-OP Episode 104, checked it out, thought it was pretty cool, then came here and I'm quite surprised at how you guys are reacting to this.

@Razor512: console games are in the service too.

The console part of it is what sells me. I don't have an Xbox 360/PS3/Wii and I don't plan on buying any of them. But it really sucks wanting to play a new game that's only on ONE console, I HATE that soooo much. I can't play a really awesome game just because I decided on a different $500 system or I simply can't afford it.

HFC based ISP's could run this fine, I really don't see how latency could be that huge of an issue. The hardware just has to be conf'd to JUST video rendering and controller inputs. All the heavy lifting is being done by the cloud and the broadband. I know it can take a lot for all that but it's still possible to pull it off without asking your ISP to pretty please run fiber-optics to your basement. I have a 7.5Mbit connection and I think it could handle it.

Would be a LOT better to have it as a Steam type purchasing system at least. Ex. $50 for the 'console/receiver' and BUY the games online rather than a service fee. Even an option for both if someone doesn't want to pay for the system, the way ISP's do it with modems.

I don't get why this is getting slammed so much when DRM is only a software implication of the hard disc type restrictions to their systems out there now. It's the same thing as buying something for your console or PC or whatever and you can still only play it on that one thing, what's the difference? Well OK, if your internet goes down then your screwed, but in the last 10 years that's only happened to me once and it was fixed in 24 hours. Moreover I don't know anyone who I play games with who doesn't have at least 10-15mbps connections, so the idea of just carying this thing around to a buddy's place sounds awesome to me.

What's so bad about a service fee to play any game I want on demand. I bet half of you have an Xbox Live or WoW accounts (or both/more) that your paying every month. Why not give this a fair try? I'm definitely going to give it a go when it comes out.

/me waits for the flamethrowers to come out...

@Shonen: Well, yes they failed, but this is more service than hardware. It is probably very easy to implement this using software on the client-side. Sega and Atari are just saying this is a good idea, and EA is one of the biggest game publishers in the world.

@Lyzon: It was a hypothetical situation... :P

many ISP's are putting steep bandwidth caps, with a 250GB cap, you can finish it in about a day at full bandwidth

in many areas, isps will cap the bandwidth to 20-40GB, thats about 5 hours worth

also their DRM is worst, you never own the game and if their company dies you loose your games, so you can invest hundreds into that service and when they go out of business, you loose everything

network congestion can effect pings

DRM is always bad though

especially the kind that requires activations

if the company dies, you cant activate the game you bought

many DRM items install a system driver which slows your boot down

you can disable them using the autoruns program

many of them will change registry and other system settings and cause problems for other programs on your system

streaming a game makes you loose control over the game so you cant do as much, you cant install custom mods and maps which makes multiplayer hard to do

it is expensive to have a server handle all of the load so monthly fees will be high, remember a game server is easy to host, I used to host both a battlefield 2 and a star wars jedi academy server on a old PC using a amd athlon xp 2400+ overclocked and there would be no lag even with both servers in use

but handling the load for a game will require a lot cpu power, memory and GPU power and will have to constantly be upgraded to keep a acceptable frame rate

it will be expensive

games do not come out often enough to justify a monthly fee and finding a good game is even more rare

streaming a game is a ripoff it is like the idiots who spend $25 at home depot to rent a tool that only cost $30

a game is something you play more than once a service like netflix may work ok since when you get a movie, after your done watching it once, you don't really want it any more

but for a game, you may end up paying like $100 to play a $20 game a few times

Hey everyone! My brother introduced me to this, a couple months ago. It is called on live. It is the next generation of gaming. It is just about in beta, so sign up! The website isOn Live. Check it out and tell me your thoughts.

cheers,

Destro

EDIT: Meant to right Gaming, sorry,

I hate those next gen games

I meab they look verry good but the gameplay sucks

I miss CS1,6

Quake3 arena

red alert 2

BlackHawkDown

its all so casuall

you dont need to train any more +

in these new game you have to shoot like 2 mag's empty untill someone die aka a halo or a battlefied

The only game i like next then in GOW and UT3

For the rest its all crap!!!! iam going back play some CS and if i see one FUCKING cheater iam going to track him down and bust his computer