Looking for a good open source Anti-virus

Method

I am looking for suggestions. Clamwin seems to be the most popular. Your thoughts? I am currently running Windows XP and Vista on my PC and laptops. I have McAfee, full version, but am looking for something else. Thanks in advance!

ClamAV is basically the only open source anti virus program available, and the Windows version doesn't offer real time scanning. Besides having no real time scanner, it's definitions are often not as up to date as corporately funded anti virus products.

It's not a good solution. The best solution is to not be stupid on the Internet. I don't have any anti virus installed, as far as I can tell I've never had a problem.

I dont no about open source antiviruses but unless your planning on rewriting or editing it to suit your needs, why not settle for a free closed source av? I use Avast 4, home is free, professional is not.... ;)

I have also heard good things about avg.

I lack Sparda's hubris, so i use the free version of Avira AntiVir. I like this program because it has the great ability to STFU and let me get on with my day, but when I need an anti-virus it is there, doing its stuff. Small footprint as well. However, when it updates it displays a huge advert for the full version, so if that annoys you its not going to work for you. This can be removed however and its just a case of clicking 1 extra ok button a few times a week if you can't be arsed. I prefer it over AVG because AVG insisted on doing a daily scan of my computer (which with 2TB of files isn't fun), and bitched endlessly about it otherwise. AntiVir doesn't seem to want to do this.

Open source isn't the be-all and end-all tbh.

I second Avast, I was using avg not to long ago but found it missed things that Avast didn't.

Fucking avast and its blairing siren virus alert, the first time it went off it was conducting a scan while I was watchinga divX and it scared the shit out of me. I shit you not I fall out of my chair after I jumped and tried to sit back down. *shakes fist* I will get you for that avast

Winantivirus 2009 is the best. It's free, just google around for it. It give me CONSTANT updates. Give it a try!!

Because suggesting people willingly install malware is a fucking great idea, right?

Jesus motherfucking christ...

ClamAV is basically the only open source anti virus program available, and the Windows version doesn't offer real time scanning. Besides having no real time scanner, it's definitions are often not as up to date as corporately funded anti virus products.

It's not a good solution. The best solution is to not be stupid on the Internet. I don't have any anti virus installed, as far as I can tell I've never had a problem.

I always have customers tell me that and then there is that one day a logic bomb goes off and trashes their system

OMG, Decepticon I hope you are joking I had a hell of a time removing that piece of malware off of office systems.

Hell, I had one of the users pay for it, lol.

I don't think I have ever heard anything as well articulated than that moonlit.

IMHO if you want GOOD antivirus protection, you need to pay for it. If you will to have some protection, but not the most up to date definitions, than go the free route. If you don't care because you format your HD every 6 months than forget the AV shit.

But just remember, the best anti-virus software won't protect you against stupidity. watch what you download and torrent and for the love of god, use a web-based e-mail client like gmail.

Wow. People sure seem to know what open-source is :rolleyes: .

Running an anti-virus project requires a huge amount of effort, and if you look at the big FOSS projects they all tend to bypass Windows support until they get big enough to be used commercially. So while FOSS is great for things like PHP, various SQL clones and webservers, for a windows AV client your not going to see the same level of commitment which means that its not going to be updated as often. Ultimately this makes it pointless in the long run, so just use a free AV client.