Last day of school today

Duelus

When I just got out of school and got my first real job (I had to take a day off to get my diploma, and incidentally I still work at that same place, already 7 years and counting) the first thing they did was send me off to a training facility for a course of pretty much the basics of IT.

It was SO mindnumbingly stupid it was downright insulting. Hello? I put together computers blindfolded! The questions in that training can be summarised by quoting a single one:

What was the color of the yellow cable connecting the computer to the hub?

I shit you not.

But we were given 4 weeks to complete the course and I was done in 2, so if anything it gave off the impression towards my employer that I was actually capable of something.

You have to admit though that there's easy and there's downright patronising...

I mean I don't object to 'a quick recap' or a skim over the basics of using a computer if I'm on a course with less experienced users, but 'can anyone tell me what this is called? *holds up a mouse*' gets repetitive before they even /say/ it...

Yeah, but you gotta realize that soem training programs as was the one you are talking about were aimed for older people who know very little, next to nothing.

I just got my AAS degree and 90% of all of the computer related classes I had to take I knew the content very well. Cisco CCNA networking classes were a bit tough only because I had never directly worked with cisco nbetworking, however because I understood most of the basics of networking, I Aced just about every exam.

The thing that I did was ask the instructor if I could simply take the class final exams and if I did well on them, I asked if that could be my grade for the class. Every one of the teachers basically did this for me and I had to do very little in class work because of it.

All of that just to get the (important) piece of paper that says I know what I am doing... Rules and regulations make it "preferable" for me to have a degree of some kind.

-Manuel

I once did a job where to start I had 6 weeks of full time training, where they sat us in a room and taught us how to make DUN connections & plug in ethernet cables. It was great, to ace the class you just had to be a page ahead of the teacher at all times. Only job where I was allowed to come in high, that way I stopped asking complicated questions hardly anyone else could follow.

All of that just to get the (important) piece of paper that says I know what I am doing... Rules and regulations make it "preferable" for me to have a degree of some kind.

That one pissed me off when I got bitten by it in real life.

Throughout the bubble I was working LOTS doing cool projects, and earning both my employer and their customers a TON of money. I had YEARS of actual, practical experience under my belt when the bubble burst and they had to try a LOT harder to get people work.

Then I got turned down for a few jobs because I wasn't a SUN Certified Java Programmer...

I mean, fuck, I could code 90% of those JCP guys under the table in 15 seconds flat, yet they would get the work, or get it against higher wages, just because they had some stupid piece of paper.

Naturally I caved in and went out and did that damned exam. Didn't train for it at all and got a 56% score (50 and up was a passing grade, which pretty much says enough). But I'm still miffed over it.

Was thinking about working for them, you get certified for free but have to sign up for 2 years (kinda like the army). Good pay and apparently there canteen is amazing (its an important factor in your job choice).

Microsoft certificates any one?

When I was in school we were given a choice for our database course:

Either 1 full week of Microsoft SQL Server 6.5 with a Microsoft exam at the end or the entire semester 1 hour per week learning Microsoft Access.

That wasn't really a choice, so we went with SQL Server. I got the certificate (you needed 80% to get it, but school would give you a passing grade for the database course if you got 55%) and subsequently left it off of my CV when I was applying for work primarily because I most certainly did NOT want to be put to work administerring some shoddy MS database.

It's my only MS certificate to date.

Note that in order to become an MCSE or MCSD you need to pass for a LOT of exams, and worse, keep up with it. So if you don't pass your Minesweeper exam every couple of years you'll lose your MCSD qualification. Or at least, that's how it was explained to me a couple years ago. Might have changed since then...

You keep your MCSE once you've got it - but its sn MCSE in whatever operating system you took it in so your MCSE winNT , MCSE win2000 etc. Employers don't really give a toss about whether your 2000, XP or what now, as long as you have it.

I'm going to university next (academic) year. I shall be doing Security and forensics in computing. It looks like a very interesting course, hopfully not too hard. I should get a degree out of it if I get on to the degree course. Other wise it will be a foundation degree. I hope they see i'm briliant enough to put me on the full degree. :D

At my school there is a computer support class that i am taking. Next month i get to take the A+ exam free(my school pays for it). and I am hoping to get enrolled in this program called Running Start where the school district pays for you to go to a community college instead of highschool for that year. pretty sweet deal.

Well, university in England is ok, it used to be better. Years ago when England was the center of high quality manurfacturing the goverment used to pay for you to go to university. Now though it's not as good, it's still ok though. For one, going to university means you are given £2000 (I think if I rember correctly, it's too late to look this stuff up) which you can keep and never have to pay back. You get given another £6000 lone which you do have to pay back once you start working and are erning £20,000 a year (again, i'm not certian on the figers). However, if you have some kind of disability, the university will pay for any equipment you need. I have some kind of motory malfuntion (I can still use my hands obviusly, just not as i should beable to) meaning my hand writing is awfull and unless i go slowly it's unreadable by most people. I also have difficulty remerbing letter and number patterns and other such things (patial dyslexia). Any way, if the education phycologist says "Yes, this person has dyslexiya and needs specile equipment" then the university will spend £1000 of it's own money getting that person the equipment they need, in my case it will simpley be a laptop. :D

Well, university in England is ok, it used to be better. Years ago when England was the center of high quality manurfacturing the goverment used to pay for you to go to university. Now though it's not as good, it's still ok though. For one, going to university means you are given £2000 (I think if I rember correctly, it's too late to look this stuff up) which you can keep and never have to pay back. You get given another £6000 lone which you do have to pay back once you start working and are erning £20,000 a year (again, i'm not certian on the figers). However, if you have some kind of disability, the university will pay for any equipment you need. I have some kind of motory malfuntion (I can still use my hands obviusly, just not as i should beable to) meaning my hand writing is awfull and unless i go slowly it's unreadable by most people. I also have difficulty remerbing letter and number patterns and other such things (patial dyslexia). Any way, if the education phycologist says "Yes, this person has dyslexiya and needs specile equipment" then the university will spend £1000 of it's own money getting that person the equipment they need, in my case it will simpley be a laptop. :D

Just about to finish uni, and i'm around £20000 in debt. But on the plus side because of dyselxia they gave me a computer, printer, PDA, full edition of office 2003, free internet and most importantly extra time on written assements.