The Best USB Flash Drive - Your Opinion Please...

basstracks

I have a USB SanDisk Cruzer Micro U3 1.0 GB Flash Drive, with the retractable port (the feature I like myself much) but want to buy a higher capacity, probably retractable, new drive. I don't and won't use U3 software, and was steering towards either a 8 GB version of what I have right now, or maybe even one of those IronKey's I was reading about. I would like to hear different opinions from anyone on what you think are the best one's and why, and what you actually use and why so I can make a choice based upon what you expert people use.

Thanks.

I have a USB SanDisk Cruzer Micro U3 1.0 GB Flash Drive, with the retractable port (the feature I like myself much) but want to buy a higher capacity, probably retractable, new drive. I don't and won't use U3 software, and was steering towards either a 8 GB version of what I have right now, or maybe even one of those IronKey's I was reading about. I would like to hear different opinions from anyone on what you think are the best one's and why, and what you actually use and why so I can make a choice based upon what you expert people use.

Thanks.

Well I just use the ones sold at micro center for cheap. I would not go for anything fancy, the problem with u3 is that it will probably be included if you want a 8gb.

What does it matter if it has U3. You can easily remove the U3 crap with the freely available and supported LPInstaller tool. I recently picked up a 4gb Cruzer Micro U3 drive and its great. The CDFS partition doesn't bother me in windows as I can't see the files on its boot sector, and the main 4gb partition is able to carry a 3gb set of rainbow tables.

Ok, based on the above statement you can probably guess what my new toy does.

• 2 months later...

stay away form the cheap sony ones, i got one and it sucks

I have gotten free flash drives in the main from different survey sites and those 1GB ones  work fine, and transfer at 10MB/s

the sony 1GB one that i for for $12 only goes at around 800KB/s according to the everest  disk benchmark (usb 2.0 yea right )

If you are in the US and can shop at Costco they have a special right now on SanDisk MicroCruzers, you can get 3 2GB drives for $45  :shock: .  I just saw it the other day. .  unfortunately I bought 2 from NewEgg a few weeks ago  :-?

I really like the SanDisk Micro variety, I've had multiple others and they have all crapped out. . .  of course they all got plenty of use!

My flash drive of choice is the Cruzer Titanium series.  A little more expensive that the Cruzer Micro's but if I threw this drive at someone it would really hurt. :D  Anyway, the U3 stuff is very easy to remove.  There's an uninstaller available here, http://u3.com/uninstall/  and if you decide you want it again, there's an installer available on the Sandisk site.  If you keep an eye on deal sites, like Slickdeals & Fatwallett, you can get one for a pretty decent price.  Right now a 4GB Cruzer Titantium is $20 shipped after google checkout @ buy.com.  However if you have a MicroCenter nearby, http://microcenter.com/single_product_resu...d=0281032  That's pretty hard to beat right now.  From what i've read, the flash drives from MC are pretty fast too.