Hak5 BBS in the works!

underground5

Hey everybody me and famicoman have been playing around with synchronet and this is what resulted of it...,

now remember that this thing is still in early beta so it will need quite a bit of work before it's finished any questions/comments are very welcome, and we could use some board game requests.

you can telnet to the BBS at hak5.servebbs.org:2323

I am using PuTTy and wanted to know what font setup to choose. Different ones look clearer than others, but I still can't find a decent one that looks good with the ansii and I keep getting random character generation. Not sure if its the font or the bbs but at the command prompt sometimes there are already letters there before I type and I get errors and have to retype it.

I have went on (for no reason) to see what it was. Does Anyone know a Good Client for OS X? All I have seen on Google is Putty running on X11 or Wrapped with CrossOver. Currently, it is a bit buggy.

cant you just type telnet and the address from a command prompt/terminal window?

Even if it was just a place for ascii art like radman art files, etc, but they have 99% of that stuff available on websites now. I think he even has a site evoted to archiving the work which can be downloaded on dvd.

If you're serious about this community project I'd say start a wiki page and I'll give you guys the A record for bbs.hak5.org and feature it on the show (once you get the bugs ironed out). Just make sure you get some door games installed, especially Legend Of the Red Dragon!!! I pwnt at that game back in the early 90s.

We have almost got it pretty good. I took the delicious Hak5 ANSI, and moved it too the answer screen, but it doesn't really seem to fit, so I'm thinking of moving it to where the Synchro splash screen is now. Some door games work, some do not. Thats the wip and current focus. I started a wiki page, but don't exactly know what else to add to it, there are ideas for expansions and what not, but I'm not sure I want to get ahead of myself when there is still some to do to before it can hit the entire hak5 audience. I think, though, we will be ready to have this thing completely public by next episode, and Darren, talk to Ethan about the DNS stuff and whatnot.

Answer.jpg

Logon.jpg

Putty's butchering

Logon-putty.jpg

Has anyone here seen the "BBS, The Documentary"? Excellent vid if you get yoru hands on a copy, or buy it from the site. Tons of cool interviews and history on the BBS and just the internet in general. Full history on Fido and Fidonet as well and how its still going strong today. http://www.bbsdocumentary.com/

My wife even found it cool to see what people were doing back then and she hates me being on the computer all the time and all the techy stuff I am into. She does however liek to watch Hak5. I can't figure her out sometimes. I think she is fascinated with watching people do things she doesn't understand and is learnign something in the process, but she asks me to fix everythign on her computer and she can't be bothered to do it herself. In other words, She loves her geek, but doesn't want to be one.

Anayway, back to the topic of BBS. I see the nice ansi on that second one down up above, and then the one that says putty is butchering it. I use putty and was thinking the same thing, that is why I asked what font to use, but I guess it's not a font problem, but maybe the way putty is rendering it? Didn't even think to try the built in telent. Got so used to putty that it was the first thing I tried. Maybe I will give windows telent a go when I get home.

Any other clients that render nicely on windows?

On the Topic of the BBS documentary, its great, I have the DVD set. HIGHLY recommended.

Also, Legend of the Red Dragon is UP!

its version 4.07, but the problem with it is that you can't win it unless you donate money to get a registration code. If anyone can find previous versions, pm me here or hit me up on irc.

Dopewars is coming soon. some small error in one field of the config I cant figure out that is supposed to make it launch in the telnet window, but opens it up in a new window instead.

UPDATE: It turns out the version of dopewars we had was not a door in itself. There are programs that will run it as a door however, but the site is down atm so I will be checking for it so everyone can get their dope on.

Text files exist now.

Any game request can be made to Ethan or I

Things are really coming along. This might be the most ball busting project I have engaged in, but also very rewardig.

I wonder if this would work on a Commodore 64 with a The Final Ethernet card and that uIP tcpip stack... It's been a while since that stuff became public, and I don't know if they've improved on things since. Should be possible though.

• 3 weeks later...