Finding out Who is connected to My WiFi?

Guest TehHacks

Guest TehHacks

Alright, basically one of my neighbors keeps connecting to my WiFi network, I don't mind this rely because it doesn't usually bother me that much. However some was is rely taking the piss, using up all my bandwidth, downloading large files, making my internet run slowly.

I don't want to Put a WEP, WPA, ect key on it, because some of my other neighbors (who i know well) use it (E.g when their internet is down) and i like sharing because it makes me feel like a good person.

is their anyway of viewing who is connected to my WiFi and any given time, and preferably disconnecting them if I feel they are abusing my kindness.

thanks.

james

Hey James,

one good way to do it is within your router admin.

A lot of routers, if you login to the web based admin panel, will tell you what machine names and MAC addresses are connected, if you wanted, you could find out your neighbours address, just by finding out how often they are on and figuring it out, and then maybe MAC filter it, to stop the pesty war-driver out side :P

PJ

but he said that he doesnt mind the guy using it too, just that he needs to be able to do cut him off at chosen times. Personally, i dont know how to do this. Suggestions: shutdown -s -t 00 -f -mcompname that will simply shut them down, the ppl on ur network.

Otherwise just google up some network control programs. Fire up ethereal or something, get the mac address and do stuff with it in linux. iono

you could do a few things. Most basic is use the admin on ur router to view who is connecting. Or, My personal favorite, Use Cain & abel to ARP poion everyone else on ur network, steak their passwords to all their shit and make sure they get the message that you don't want them on your network.

Or, My personal favorite, Use Cain & abel to ARP poion everyone else on ur network, steak their passwords to all their shit and make sure they get the message that you don't want them on your network.

Ditto they didn't read the TOS for you wireless network so if they are using it you can use them... did someone say ebay?

Sounds like you need a flexible wifi intrusion detection system. I remember reading about a great open source one on the netstumbler forums a while back but can't remember the name. Anyway I'm sure those keywords will help in your searches. If I wasn't absolutely exhaused I'd hit up SF.

Guest TehHacks

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'll check out if my router has a web based admin panel, although i dont remember using one when setting it up. I'll looks for some programs like suggested.

MMmm, running Wifi networks is my live :wink:

And in your case a filtering on mac-adress is the most simple solution.

Just fill the mac-adresses of the WiFi networking card of the neighbors you want to share your connection with in your Wifi accespoint/router (don't forget to put in your one mac-adress to) and now only the WiFi cards with the mac-adresses that you put in your Wifi accespoint/router can make use of your shared connection.

:lol:

Gerard

Or if you wish to just restrict them to X amount of bandwidth per day, and if you have a Linksys Router... I've got a solution for you. Its called DD-WRT, a linux-based firmware that turns your crappy linksys wrt54g, gs, etc. into a magical WiFi administration system.

Yay! Oh and, the point is, is that the QoS on the DD-WRT firmware will restrict your neighbours to happy bandwidth limits.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/index.php

Guest TehHacks
Or if you wish to just restrict them to X amount of bandwidth per day, and if you have a Linksys Router... I've got a solution for you. Its called DD-WRT, a linux-based firmware that turns your crappy linksys wrt54g, gs, etc. into a magical WiFi administration system.

Yay! Oh and, the point is, is that the QoS on the DD-WRT firmware will restrict your neighbours to happy bandwidth limits.

Unfortunately, i dont have Linksys router, however your idea sounds rely good, and usefull in so many ways. I might think about buying one.

Thanks alot for the suggestion :D

Unfortunately, i dont have Linksys router, however your idea sounds rely good, and usefull in so many ways. I might think about buying one.

Thanks alot for the suggestion :D

Hold on there sparky. The reason why this linux firmware was created for the Linksys router is because linksys fucked up royally. The WRT54G v5 is the worst make of their routers (which are none too impressive) and they cost just as much as the next company's router.

If you want to do it my way, I suggest buying the WRT54G v2 from eBay and then putting the DD-WRT on it.

Shame, ain't it?