Antennas on the WiFi Pineapple Tetra

me2019

Hello there,

I was thinking about putting my wifi pineapple in my backpack and using it in the go. However two antennas always look out of the bag and that's kinda stupid and gets me unwanted attention. My question now is if it it possible to remove 2 of the antennas and using the wifi pineapple with the other two remaining ones so they don't stick out. I know that for some router you have to leave the antennas connected because otherwise it damages the device but maybe it's different for the wifi pineapple?

If not I'll probably end up buying a WiFi pineapple nano.

You can get stubby antennas for it on ebay or some other website.  I got 4 2dbi antenna for mine and it is very small.  lack some range with them compared to the stock antenna 

just make sure they’re dual band for the tetra action. There’s a guy on here who used either a gopro or drone (I can’t remember exactly) case with these bad ass little nubby antennas. I’ll see f I can find the thread.

You could use a stripline antenna system. Basically buy one of those panel antennas on ebay remove the cover and put a piece of plexiglass over it. It would be directional and you should face it away from your body.

On 7/22/2019 at 3:10 AM, Narus said:

You could use a stripline antenna system. Basically buy one of those panel antennas on ebay remove the cover and put a piece of plexiglass over it. It would be directional and you should face it away from your body.

Do you mean, purchase 4 of them?

• 3 weeks later...

So it's the antennas that raise suspicion, not the big pineapple logo with Hak5 badge on it, assuming you have a tactical bag?  Disguise the antenna or add an extension cable so you can run the antenna along a seam instead of directly attached to the unit.  Or stick other tall objects out the corners like a ruler or a flashlight to disguise the antenna?

On 7/27/2019 at 10:38 PM, venn said:

hi this might be a noob question, but could i just put a matched impedance load on two of the antenna connectors and then just use the other two?

75 ohm? 50 ohm?

A dummy load could be used by not sure if that would be recommended for long term use.  They are mainly used for tuning/testing of radio equipment.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/19/2019 at 9:00 AM, Cap_Sig said:

A dummy load could be used by not sure if that would be recommended for long term use.  They are mainly used for tuning/testing of radio equipment.  

Thanks for the information, I thought I might do damage to the transmitter if I have it trying to transmit onto an empty connector, infinite impedance. As I understand it, a 50 ohm transmitter will not have reflections etc when it transmits into something that is a matched impedance. better than a short or a wide-open. No?

I may be wrong, but I think running it with nothing on the connector would not be recommended.

8 minutes ago, venn said:

I may be wrong, but I think running it with nothing on the connector would not be recommended.

If you run nothing you will cause damage especially if transmitting.

8 minutes ago, venn said:

As I understand it, a 50 ohm transmitter will not have reflections etc when it transmits into something that is a matched impedance. better than a short or a wide-open. No?

Yes, you need matched impedance for antenna/dummy load or you can cause damage if SWR get to high.

It is not recommended and highly discouraged to run an RF device without some sort of load while transmitting.

• 1 month later...
On 7/15/2019 at 9:55 PM, me2019 said:

Hello there,

I was thinking about putting my wifi pineapple in my backpack and using it in the go. However two antennas always look out of the bag and that's kinda stupid and gets me unwanted attention. My question now is if it it possible to remove 2 of the antennas and using the wifi pineapple with the other two remaining ones so they don't stick out. I know that for some router you have to leave the antennas connected because otherwise it damages the device but maybe it's different for the wifi pineapple?

If not I'll probably end up buying a WiFi pineapple nano.

How will antennas rise attention against you?
I wear all kinds of weird stuff that use antennas and I have so far got no question at all, could be that the people in my country doesn't speak to strangers 😉

Anyway, then just hide them and everything else that will tell someone you carry a WiFi equipment but as some said, do NOT remove the antennas since it will damage your Pineapple in the long run.

• 1 month later...

So they are dipole antennas....

Guess they're made for 2.4g and somewhat usable on 5.8g.  (2nd harmonic)

One thing I've done is make my own dipoles using SMA male semi-flex hardline,

copper tape and cover with kapton tape.  Then I tune for best return-loss using a SNA.

(can make screaming good 2.4g antennas with this method).    The cool thing is these can be

sewed into backpacks.   They are very flat, can post a pic if needed.

Archived