Can't install SD card

stgm1

HI, I wanted to install an SD card into my Pineapple Nano but after formating it with the web GUI nothing append. I've searched the web to find an answer, tried changing Fstab, rebooting, manually formaing. 

fdisk -l give me this: 

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks  Id System
/dev/sda2               1           1        8001  83 Linux

I don't know what to do.

Thanks,

I wouldn't usually deal with Pineapple peeps but considering no one's got to you I'll give it a shot.

Can you put the SD card into your PC (or a reader for your PC) and see if the PC can see it? I know some SD cards are quite dodgy and decide to kill themselves when they're played around with a bit.

And also, can you elaborate on what you think was supposed to happen, just out of curiosity?

And another also, from Ninja_Hobo's post here, try putting in the SD card after the Pineapple has booted (so pull it out, restart the Pineapple and put it in after it's completed rebooting). If that works, go back to your Web GUI and try formatting it again.

10 hours ago, Dave-ee Jones said:

I wouldn't usually deal with Pineapple peeps but considering no one's got to you I'll give it a shot.

Can you put the SD card into your PC (or a reader for your PC) and see if the PC can see it? I know some SD cards are quite dodgy and decide to kill themselves when they're played around with a bit.

And also, can you elaborate on what you think was supposed to happen, just out of curiosity?

And another also, from Ninja_Hobo's post here, try putting in the SD card after the Pineapple has booted (so pull it out, restart the Pineapple and put it in after it's completed rebooting). If that works, go back to your Web GUI and try formatting it again.

The PC can see it but it won't recognise is, it tell me to format the SD, when I format it it work perfectly, but after I plug it in the pineapple and format it with the GUI, nothing append and it's no longer recognisable by the computer

10 hours ago, stgm1 said:

The PC can see it but it won't recognise is, it tell me to format the SD, when I format it it work perfectly, but after I plug it in the pineapple and format it with the GUI, nothing append and it's no longer recognisable by the computer

Once you reformat the SD card in the Nano a Windows PC will tell you to reformat due to not recognizing the file system.

When you format the SD card in the Nano it is setting it up for additional storage.

Why do you want to use it on a Windows machine after formatting it? 

15 minutes ago, trapman16 said:

Once you reformat the SD card in the Nano a Windows PC will tell you to reformat due to not recognizing the file system.

When you format the SD card in the Nano it is setting it up for additional storage.

Why do you want to use it on a Windows machine after formatting it? 

Just to inform you that the SD card did format, but it's not recognised by the pineapple as additional storage.

When I download a module, it only tell me that I can install on internal storage but not on SD card

I understand you question better now.

1 minute ago, stgm1 said:

Just to inform you that the SD card did format, but it's not recognised by the pineapple as additional storage.

When I download a module, it only tell me that I can install on internal storage but not on SD card

So sounds like the problem is with the pineapple recognizing the SD card.  Are you on the latest firmware?  At one time there was an issue with the firmware not working with some sd cards causing them not to mount.  Have you possibly tried a different card to confirm if it is not the particular sd card causing the issue?  

34 minutes ago, trapman16 said:

I understand you question better now.

So sounds like the problem is with the pineapple recognizing the SD card.  Are you on the latest firmware?  At one time there was an issue with the firmware not working with some sd cards causing them not to mount.  Have you possibly tried a different card to confirm if it is not the particular sd card causing the issue?  

I actualy first used a 1GB SD card, it didn't worked, and then I used the 128MB SD that was inside the Rubber Ducky.

I'm on the lastest firmware.

On 12/22/2016 at 5:36 PM, Sebkinne said:

Usually this issue happens when an SD card is corrupted in some way. Most operating systems tend to be a little more lenient when it comes to these errors, but the Pineapple gets confused sometimes. I have been able to fix this issue with the following steps:

1. Completely wipe SD card with dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdcard/sd bs=4096
  2. Eject SD card from WiFi Pineapple NANO
  3. Power off WiFi Pineapple NANO
  4. Insert SD card into WiFi Pineapple NANO
  5. Power on WiFi Pineapple NANO
  6. Use the webinterface to format the SD card (this may take a while). Alternatively, use a linux distro to format the SD card ext4.
  7. The card should mount automatically. If it does not, reboot the WiFi Pineapple NANO.

Give this a try.  

19 minutes ago, trapman16 said:

Give this a try.  

Okay the command give me 

root@Pineapple:~# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdcard/sd bs=4096
dd: writing '/dev/sdcard/sd': No space left on device
30977+0 records in
30976+0 records out

After formating and rebooting I just got this in the GUI

Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
rootfs                    2.4M    312.0K      2.1M  13% /
/dev/root                12.3M     12.3M         0 100% /rom
tmpfs                    29.8M    104.0K     29.7M   0% /tmp
/dev/mtdblock3            2.4M    312.0K      2.1M  13% /overlay
overlayfs:/overlay        2.4M    312.0K      2.1M  13% /
tmpfs                   512.0K         0    512.0K   0% /dev

And

total         used         free       shared      buffers
Mem:         61128        46176        14952          112         6712
-/+ buffers:              39464        21664
Swap:           84            0           84

Nothing changed

I'm not an expert wit the Nano in particular but maybe someone else can help with your issue.  I would try a larger card in the several GB size, at least 8 GB.  I know some people reported issues with smaller cards.  Just to clarify you are using a 128MB card?  It may have issues with formatting/using such a small card.

46 minutes ago, trapman16 said:

I'm not an expert wit the Nano in particular but maybe someone else can help with your issue.  I would try a larger card in the several GB size, at least 8 GB.  I know some people reported issues with smaller cards.  Just to clarify you are using a 128MB card?  It may have issues with formatting/using such a small card.

Okay, I'll try the same thing with the 1Gb card, hope someone will find something
Thanks for your help!

Just for extra clarity; when you format the SD card with Windows it uses a file system that Windows can recognise easily (probably NTFS but I'm not 100% sure), whereas the Pineapple can't read that file system because it's Linux based, whereas NTFS is Windows-based - so it'll be looking for FAT32 or something similar.

Not 100% sure on this as some Linux boxes can see NTFS quite well, but definitely something to keep in mind.

SD card could just be stuffed - as I said earlier some don't like it when they're formatted repeatedly and they just decide to randomly die. Sounds like an older SD card too (128 MB..), so yeah, try a newer one (which would also give you better space - e.g. 8 GB).

13 hours ago, Dave-ee Jones said:

Just for extra clarity; when you format the SD card with Windows it uses a file system that Windows can recognise easily (probably NTFS but I'm not 100% sure), whereas the Pineapple can't read that file system because it's Linux based, whereas NTFS is Windows-based - so it'll be looking for FAT32 or something similar.

Not 100% sure on this as some Linux boxes can see NTFS quite well, but definitely something to keep in mind.

SD card could just be stuffed - as I said earlier some don't like it when they're formatted repeatedly and they just decide to randomly die. Sounds like an older SD card too (128 MB..), so yeah, try a newer one (which would also give you better space - e.g. 8 GB).

Second that.

This is also a good way to remove corrupt partitions that windows is not deleting sometimes with disk management: https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/   Its from SD Association.    Happens with RPi images sometimes depending on the card being used.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 3/26/2018 at 1:02 AM, stgm1 said:

HI, I wanted to install an SD card into my Pineapple Nano but after formating it with the web GUI nothing append. I've searched the web to find an answer, tried changing Fstab, rebooting, manually formaing. 

fdisk -l give me this: 

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks  Id System
/dev/sda2               1           1        8001  83 Linux

I don't know what to do.

Thanks,

if you are getting this with "fdisk -l" then putty into your nano and go to root dir. normally you have to "cd .." once. do "mkdir sdcard". then " mount -t ext4 /dev/sda2 /sdcard". After that log back into the web interface and see if it is correctly identifying your sdcard.

I am having the same issue. but my sdcard is hanging when I try to install any modules to the sdcard.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
El 29/3/2018 a las 14:48, stgm1 dijo:

Solo para informarle que la tarjeta SD se formateó, pero la piña no la reconoce como storage adicional.

Cuando descargo un módulo, solo me dice que puedo instalarlo en el almacenamiento interno pero no en la tarjeta SD

a mi me pasa exactamente lo mismo, ya intente con varias sd y nada.

de antemano, gracias por la ayuda

Oh after about 4 hours I found out the internal adapter is just cheap and its not properly making the connection to the SD card. So, if you're having issues and none of the aforementioned solutions work for you, buy a multi usb hub (that has a sd ofc slot) and plug that bad boy into the usb slot on the back of the pineapple. and ta-f*kin-da, it should work only every single time. Best of luck.

• 6 months later...

Archived