Internet connection sharing with Nano and Tetra

plubowicz

Hi All,

I am new to the Tetra, however after reading numerous posts and watching the videos, I cannot get internet access on my tetra when connected to my windows 10 laptop. I have attached screenshots of the set up as per other posts and the IP from the cmd prompt, but I still do not have access.

I don't know if this is a windows 10 issue, but after following the instructions to set static ip, it made it an unidentified network. This is where I believe the issue is and once this is able to be resolved my issues will be fixed.

My question is, if I connect a LAN cable into the port on the tetra, should it connect via the router or would additional settings be required as the tetra is on 172.x.x.x network whereas my router is giving out 192.x.x.x IPs?

I am really stumped as to what to do and I feel its something small that I have missed. I am going to try another laptop tomorrow, however, any gurus out there who could shed some light on this would be greatly appreciated.

pineapple1.JPG

pineapple2.JPG

pineapple3.JPG

pineapple4.JPG

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Nickphx, the reason why I want to connect via my laptop is 2 fold: 1) following the setup guide it shows to use a shared internet connection and this is what I am trying to achieve but currently not able you do so.

2) I tried to connect to my router via wifi but it says on the pineapple that connecting through wlan1 will interfere with AP(which it does).

So my question by connecting with a Lan cable it will stop any issues with wifi and the AP.

Sorry to sound like a newbie, but if I am out and about I will not have access to a Lan cable.  This is why I'm trying to get the shared connection to work if that makes sense.

Phillip

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Foxtrot,

Thank you for your response. I have done what you have suggested (and tried that prior to asking this question) but as soon as I share my internet connection it places the device into an unknown network status.

Have you guys tested the internet sharing function with windows 10? I am able to get the device working wonderfully whilst connected via Lan. However, functions such as Pine AP will not work properly when using wifi.

I guess I will have to buy a separate wifi dongle which may help once plugged in, but it seems odd that it will not simply allow me to share my computers internet connection.

I am sure I am not the only one who is having issues connecting via windows 10?

pineapple 2.JPG

pineapple 1.JPG

• 7 months later...

I've noticed that most of the issues with this have unresolved problems. I for one could find no resources online to resolve this issue now that I'm having it nearly 9 months later. This thread is the closest I've come to fixing my issue and OP's. To recap here the TL;DR is: plug in and setup Tetra the way the book says, i have ethernet into my pc and i run USB's to my tetra which is already on via AC and set sharing settings but I get Unidentified Network with no internet for my connected clients on the Tetra.

2 minutes ago, DiabeticGuineaPig said:

I've noticed that most of the issues with this have unresolved problems. I for one could find no resources online to resolve this issue now that I'm having it nearly 9 months later. This thread is the closest I've come to fixing my issue and OP's. To recap here the TL;DR is: plug in and setup Tetra the way the book says, i have ethernet into my pc and i run USB's to my tetra which is already on via AC and set sharing settings but I get Unidentified Network with no internet for my connected clients on the Tetra.

I have come to the conclusion this is a windows 10 issue.  I would like to be wrong but can someone from hack5 give instructions for Windows 10.

A trick that may work(used it for vpn sharing) is to not share the internet connection with the wireless adapter/attached lan, rather click on the tetra when connected and share it's internet with the lan/wifi adapter?

Just now, plubowicz said:

I have come to the conclusion this is a windows 10 issue.  I would like to be wrong but can someone from hack5 give instructions for Windows 10.

A trick that may work(used it for vpn sharing) is to not share the internet connection with the wireless adapter/attached lan, rather click on the tetra when connected and share it's internet with the lan/wifi adapter?

What's annoying is that I have an ADDITIONAL wifi usb attached. So at this point there are 4 wireless cards (2 in the tetra and 2 on my PC) and nothing gives it internet. I've tried on a windows 10 32bit laptop and haven't tried my Android yet since all I'm trying to do is download Evil Portal installation files etc.

So you have had the same issue this long and haven't been able to use your tetra then?

42 minutes ago, DiabeticGuineaPig said:

What's annoying is that I have an ADDITIONAL wifi usb attached. So at this point there are 4 wireless cards (2 in the tetra and 2 on my PC) and nothing gives it internet. I've tried on a windows 10 32bit laptop and haven't tried my Android yet since all I'm trying to do is download Evil Portal installation files etc.

So you have had the same issue this long and haven't been able to use your tetra then?

I haven't had any luck in getting this resolved yet.  I am going to try sharing the internet from tetra connection to wifi connection to see if that works..

However I have brought an Alpha antenna and using the USB port on router to connect to wifi.

Maybe attach the usb wifi dongle to the tetra.. it would be good to get instructions for Windows 10 though.. 

I have also seen in windows 10 anytime you have a vpn connected it will show as unidentified network. I have this when using express vpn, however I am still getting internet. The issue with the tetra is that Windows 10 won't share internet with an unidentified network..

I don't know if this has to do with the firmware on the tetra, but as mentioned above for $20-30 you can get an Alpha antenna.. pleas admins if you can provide further guidance it would be appreciated.

7 hours ago, plubowicz said:

I have also seen in windows 10 anytime you have a vpn connected it will show as unidentified network. I have this when using express vpn, however I am still getting internet. The issue with the tetra is that Windows 10 won't share internet with an unidentified network..

I don't know if this has to do with the firmware on the tetra, but as mentioned above for $20-30 you can get an Alpha antenna.. pleas admins if you can provide further guidance it would be appreciated.

Could you PM me which alpha exactly you got? If I plug my Linksys Maxstream AC600M wifi usb into the pineapple wouldn't it not download the drivers and use it since it doesn't get internet?

Also I've got it to the point where BOTH the Pineapple AP and the AP my laptops internal wifi card is connected to have internet access now. However just because it says that my Pineapple has wifi, when I connect to the open AP network from my Pineapple with my phone or another laptop, those devices don't get internet. So it says it's got internet and it doesn't.

Those solutions don't work for me on Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit or 32 bit versions. (tested on laptop and desktop) however I also got the Alpha now and have no issues with getting my network internet powered.

So the bottom line is for people of the future who stumble upon this, the easiest solution is to shell out another 25 bucks and grab the alpha, it came in 1 day from amazon and I'm in Los Angeles, so times may vary, but I also know the Hak5 shop has one available so it may get to you quickly. Plug the alpha into the usb port on the Pineapple and you're good to go. (natively works with linux as plug and play)

• 1 month later...

SOLVED

I was having the exact same issue with my Windows 10 laptop with built in Wireless for the sharing.  I got it to work once and lost the connection.  Depending on how I set up the Networking on the Tetra I would either see the Pineapple logo as though it were trying to load or nothing at all.  After about 4-5 hours of troubleshooting I found the issue and it is reoccurring.  Here is the fix and this must be done every time you connect to your Pineapple.  Thanks to your pictures I see we had the exact same issue.

1) Verify you have internet connectivity on the interface you wish to share the internet connection with the Pineapple.  In my case it is the built in WiFi adapter

2) Right click the interface you want to share > Properties > Sharing Tab

3) Verify you are NOT sharing this connection with anything. Both boxes must be unchecked!!!

4) Confirm the setting by clicking Okay and the "Shared" banner is no longer displayed on that interface

5) Now plug your Tetra into the mini USB ETH1 port and to your machine (personally I only use the mini USB on ETH1 and don't default to both USB's with the Y cable, The mini alone will supply enough power to the Tetra even at 100% CPU usage)

6) Your Tetra may do one of two things either a - You will see it show up as it previously has and how you had it configured or b - the Tetra will continue to probe in an attempt to identify the network it is connected to.  I have found that my Tetra would save the static IP of 172.16.45.45 mask 255.255.255.0 (NO DEFAULT GATEWAY OR PRIMARY/ALTERNATE DNS SET) 

7) After you have plugged in your Tetra go ahead and right click the interface that you wish to share the internet connection with the Tetra Properties > Sharing 

8) (No idea why this popped out at me) When you check the Allow Sharing Box look at the banner for the list of connections it should be a drop down menu of selected "PRIVATE" home networks to share the connection.  You should see the Tetra listed if you do not go back to the Tetra interface right click to Properties > IPv4 settings 

9) If your Tetra still has the static IP set of 172.16.45.45 change it to automatic from DHCP and apply the changes.  If it is set to Auto enter the static IP of 172.16.45.45 mask of 255.255.255.0 (AGAIN NO DEFAULT GATEWAY OR DNS SETTINGS LEAVE THEM BLANK)

10) Go back to the interface you want to share and try again verifying the Tetra shows on the drop down list

11) If it is there go ahead and select the Tetra to share the connection and apply this setting.  Note: There will be an alert telling you that the system will change the IP interface from the static 172.16.42.42 to a 192.168.x.x This is fine and normal go ahead and accept this and continue with allowing sharing

12) Navigate back to your Tetra interface Properties > IPv4 and notice the new IP address go ahead and now change it to 172.16.42.42 255.255.255.0 (NO GATEWAY OR DNS) and apply this setting

13) Navigate to your browser at 172.16.42.1:1471 and log into your pineapple

14) Verify you have internet connectivity by clicking any of the modules to pull from the internet like the updates on your dashboard

15) If you still don't see Internet connectivity then navigate to the Networking section of the web interface and in the Default Route Box enter 172.16.42.42 and select the pineapple LAN from the drop down and apply this as the default route.

16) BOOM!!!! Happy Pineappling my friend and sorry for the delayed response

• 4 weeks later...

I found this helpful (windows 10, x64, surface pro 2):

1. Enable ICS on your wifi (mine did not show a drop down)

2. Modify the wifi pinapple network settings:

IP: 172.16.42.42
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 172.16.42.1 (the pineapple)
Primary DNS: 172.16.42.1 (the pineapple)

3. In the network tab on the pineapple:

Enter 172.16.42.42 (the IP you set) (Note: the grey default text is not actually entered, you need to enter it yourself, this actually got me)

Select "br-lan"

Click Update Route

You should now see:

Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
default         172.16.42.42    0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 br-lan
172.16.42.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 br-lan

I was then able to get the dashboard button to retrieve the latest news.

By all means, correct me if I am wrong :)  I'm not sure if br-lan was the one that should be selected or if it should be eth1 (the usb port you plug into) SlimSwanny wasn't clear on that choice.

• 2 months later...

Trying to get my ICS working on my Tetra.  Using wp6.sh script.  Once run, I am able to connect to the pineapple interface but my internet connection drops once setup is complete.  Neither my Kali host or pineapple is able to access the internet.  Below are examples of 'route' before and after running wp6.sh.  I know I'm missing something obvious.  Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Output of entire setup process:

Before running wp6.sh

eth0: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
        inet 10.1.10.29  netmask 255.255.255.0  broadcast 10.1.10.255
        inet6 fe80::20c:29ff:fe7a:5708  prefixlen 64  scopeid 0x20<link>
        ether 00:0c:29:7a:57:08  txqueuelen 1000  (Ethernet)
        RX packets 116  bytes 12386 (12.0 KiB)
        RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0
        TX packets 36  bytes 3719 (3.6 KiB)
        TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0

eth1: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
        ether 00:13:37:a5:b3:12  txqueuelen 1000  (Ethernet)
        RX packets 147  bytes 8820 (8.6 KiB)
        TX packets 0  bytes 0 (0.0 B)

Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
default         gateway         0.0.0.0         UG    100    0        0 eth0
10.1.10.0       0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     100    0        0 eth0

RUNNING wp6.sh

_       ___ _______    ____  _                              __    
   | |     / (_) ____(_)  / __ \(_)___  ___  ____ _____  ____  / /__ 
   | | /| / / / /_  / /  / /_/ / / __ \/ _ \/ __ '/ __ \/ __ \/ / _ \
   | |/ |/ / / __/ / /  / ____/ / / / /  __/ /_/ / /_/ / /_/ / /  __/ 
   |__/|__/_/_/   /_/  /_/   /_/_/ /_/\___/\__,_/ .___/ .___/_/\___/  
                                               /_/   /_/       v6.5

Saved Settings: Share Internet connection from eth0
    to WiFi Pineapple at eth1 through default gateway 10.1.10.1

[C]onnect using saved settings
    [G]uided setup (recommended)
    [M]anual setup
    [A]dvanced IP settings
    [Q]uit

WiFi Pineapple detected. Please disconnect the WiFi Pineapple from
    this computer and press any key to continue with guided setup.

Step 1 of 3: Select Default Gateway
    Default gateway reported as 10.1.10.1
    Use the above reported default gateway?             [Y/n]? y

Step 2 of 3: Select Internet Interface
    Internet interface reported as eth0
    Use the above reported Internet interface?          [Y/n]? y

Step 3 of 3: Select WiFi Pineapple Interface
    Please connect the WiFi Pineapple to this computer.
    .......[Checking]
    Detected WiFi Pineapple on interface eth1
    Use the above detected WiFi Pineapple interface?    [Y/n]? y

Settings saved.

Saved Settings: Share Internet connection from eth0
    to WiFi Pineapple at eth1 through default gateway 10.1.10.1

[C]onnect using saved settings
    [G]uided setup (recommended)
    [M]anual setup
    [A]dvanced IP settings
    [Q]uit

Detecting WiFi Pineapple......found.

_ .           ___          \||/
       (  _ )_  <-->  [___]  <-->  ,<><>,
     (_  _(_ ,)       \___\        '<><>'

Browse to http://172.16.42.1:1471

At this point I have no internet but am able to get to the pineapple interface.

Post Setup:

eth0: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
        inet 10.1.10.29  netmask 255.255.255.0  broadcast 10.1.10.255
        inet6 fe80::20c:29ff:fe7a:5708  prefixlen 64  scopeid 0x20<link>
        ether 00:0c:29:7a:57:08  txqueuelen 1000  (Ethernet)
        RX packets 202  bytes 17751 (17.3 KiB)
        TX packets 64  bytes 5651 (5.5 KiB)

eth1: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
        inet 172.16.42.42  netmask 255.255.255.0  broadcast 172.16.42.255
        inet6 fe80::213:37ff:fea5:b312  prefixlen 64  scopeid 0x20<link>
        ether 00:13:37:a5:b3:12  txqueuelen 1000  (Ethernet)
        RX packets 36  bytes 2726 (2.6 KiB)
        TX packets 47  bytes 4058 (3.9 KiB)

Routing after wp6.sh 

Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
10.1.10.0       0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     100    0        0 eth0
172.16.42.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth1

What am I missing??

So clearly no one wants to reply, perhaps some more context will help.

After running wp6.sh and having my default gw removed, I have tried multiple ways to manually add a default gw with no success.  

Running this...

sudo route add default gw 10.1.10.1 eth0 

appears to execute correctly but running 'route' after show no change to routing table nor is there a change in networking connectivity.

Really don't know what I'm missing.

I apologize for my ignorance but any help would be great.

Thanks.

So... how are you powering the Tetra (very common question I always ask) . Have you run the wp6.sh with the manual option?  Being the Tetra, do you have an RJ45 plugged in, that might be an option to explore.  You could then login to whatever address your router gives the pineapple such as 10.1.10.85:1471 for example.

• 1 month later...

Hello Everyone!

I just set up my Tetra and when I click on "Advanced" "Firmware Upgrade" it says "Error connecting to WiFiPineapple.com. Please check your connection." When I try to read bulletins, or go to modules it says the same thing. I was wondering if anyone could help assist with this? I am using Windows 10.

Thanks!

2 hours ago, rem700 said:

Hello Everyone!

I just set up my Tetra and when I click on "Advanced" "Firmware Upgrade" it says "Error connecting to WiFiPineapple.com. Please check your connection." When I try to read bulletins, or go to modules it says the same thing. I was wondering if anyone could help assist with this? I am using Windows 10.

Thanks!

Sounds like the tetra isn't online. There are a few ways - you could plug the tetra into your home router via the Ethernet port and connect to the tetras management wifi network with your pc. You could also connect your tetra to your home router via its Ethernet port and browse to the ip given to it by your router - maybe something like http://192.168.1.123:1471

Archived