Windows or Linux?

-ToXiC-

Hi i'm thinking of changing operating system to Linux, Knoppix or other. But i am not 100% sure on any problems that i may come accross, for example:

1. Wireless Mouse & Keyboard both made by Microsoft. (USB) with this i'm basicly worried about not being able to install the dirvers that are on the disc.

2. I am on a Family network, my desktop is wireless, and i was wondering of any problems that may occur if i do convert to Linux.

3. Last thing, Games/Drivers stuff like that, i dont want to goto Linux to find out some games will not run, or drivers for certain things.

I would appreciate it if someone would kindly point me in the right direction and hopefuly end this on going mental war

p.s - Does Linux use DirectX or another method?

1. Wireless Mouse & Keyboard both made by Microsoft. (USB) with this i'm basicly worried about not being able to install the dirvers that are on the disc.

You won't be able to install the drivers on disk, but USB mouse and keyboard support out of the box in Linux is pretty good. The fact that it's wireless is not something the OS cares about.

So, you can get it to work fine. Just don't expect to have the same key/button bindings, or be able to to use the device the exact same way.

2. I am on a Family network, my desktop is wireless, and i was wondering of any problems that may occur if i do convert to Linux.

Look for a Wireless Network Linux Howto on Google.

3. Last thing, Games/Drivers stuff like that, i dont want to goto Linux to find out some games will not run, or drivers for certain things.

Unless you bought some very specific games (old Unreal. Everything from Id, Decent), they will NOT run out of the box. Some can be run through Wine. Don't see Linux as a new desktop shell. It's vastly different, and will take you some getting used to. Based on this one question alone it's clear to me that you don't know what Linux is. Try booting off some Live CDs first and try to get some feel of it, rather than jumping in head-first.

DirectX is the one method that is proprietary Microsoft. Linux uses OpenGL.

If you're a coder, look into a package called SDL. It's a library that links with OpenGL on Linux and DirectX on Windows.

Making a full switch isnt really great if you wanna play all your games. Most games have not had linux releases but you can always just get a windows emulator except the performace isnt as great. As for drivers usb mouse and video cards made by nivida and ati have linux versions of the drivers. For wireless as long as your wireless card supports linux its fine.

MS virtual PC is also good. Not as feature packed as VMware, but its free and does the job nicely. Except with ubuntu 6.10, which has X problems and won't load a GUI in MS Virtual PC 2004. There is also a free beta for the 2007 version which does funky stuff like hardware VT.

As for desktop linux, whatever people say its not as polished as XP or OSX. Its not that its bad, its just that windows is a lot easier to use, as is OSX. However, linux as a server is damn good. Not as good as *BSD or UNIX though.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried linux on my primary desktop for awhile. I've found that the linux GUI just isn't a replacement for windows. Also, if your a gamer Windows is much easier. There is no easy way to get all your favoutire games going in Linux. However, I have a 2 linux boxes. Its a really powerful OS for server applications. I would take it over Windows Server anyday. But from my experiences its not a wonderful desktop/gaming environment. Its not bad, bu as said above its no XP or OSX.

if your a gamer you could pay for cedega i dont use it but ive heard good things. linux hardware recognition has been pretty good so try out a couple of live cds and see what you like. my personal favorite fedora just released their first live cd, I definitely reccomend trying it. It is a good balence for noobs, as well as a distro that is completely customizable and ready for the power user. as for the wireless what chipset do you have. if you dont know boot up a live linux cd and post the output od /sbin/lspci

Hi i'm thinking of changing operating system to Linux, Knoppix or other. But i am not 100% sure on any problems that i may come accross, for example:

I would appreciate it if someone would kindly point me in the right direction and hopefuly end this on going mental war

You can always emulate Windows inside of linux and then run all your wireless stuff (which in recent distro are pretty much supported)... for games... if Wine does not work... ya just run them in the Windows emulation

I don’t think it’s a good idea to just make the switch to Linux if you are dependent on a handful of Windows features and don't already use *NIX in your day to day life (in work/ whatever).

This time of year people are getting new PC’s for Christmas and throwing away their old one, this means if you go out late at night and have a look around your neighborhood you can find a few boxes that are perfect for Linux. With a second Linux PC you can learn and get use to all the differences and work out if you could live with it 24/7, and if you decide that its not for you, then you can set it up as a file server, web server or whatever.