Codename Buffalo Bulldozer Update: issue with PineAP

rrlocksmith

Good Morning all,

I have upgraded to the new Codename Buffalo Bulldozer release and have been running into some issues using PineAP.

With the settings as Allow Associations, Log Probes, Log Associations, PineAP Daemon: Enabled, Capture SSIDs to Pool, Beacon Response and Beacon Response Interval set to Aggressive

I have not been able to get clients to connect as before with the previous release, before these settings would work flawlessly and any device not connected to wifi but beaconing would be added to the SSID Pool and connected as a client. 

Now I am unable to get any automatic associations, matter of fact for the last two days I have been working with the new firmware I have yet to get any ( I have three devices set up probing right next to the Pineapple). It doesn't even seem to be reading the Probes but sporadically and even then its two at max. 

Just wondering if anyone else is having these issues?

Also the Save active config as default dose not seem to be working as before, with the same settings annotated above every time I start up the NANO PineAP is Disabled... The previous version fired right up into the settings I needed.

Thanks in advance for the support

Oh and not to pile too much into one post but I have had the Recon hang at 100% again, I hope these issues are user error lol since the release directly addressed this issue.

• Upvote 2

@LDN_Pineapple I was up and running with 1.0.4, sure I was having some issues with Recon hanging but nowhere near the issues I'm having now. I mean now when I SSH into the pineapple and issue the ls command nothing comes up? I have never had this issue before and googling around I haven't see anyone else having these issues yet...

I have been teaching myself this as I go along so I'm definitely not an expert by any stretch of the imagination but I'm having better luck running two alpha cards and leaving my pineapple at home, so for now I will be downgrading firmware myself until the next release or seeing if anyone else has a workaround for now.

• Upvote 1

So I downgraded to 1.0.6 and noticed a few things.My Recon seemed to perform a lot better I was picking up more clients connected to AP's. (I know this as I have upgraded back to 1.1.1.) I upgraded back to 1.1.1 because the software would lock up completely in 1.0.6 & no clients were connecting

So I am back to 1.1.1 where I cannot get any clients to deauth and connect can anyone help me out?  I have followed Darrens Wifi Pineapple Primer and try the same on my network but I cant get any clients to connect to my NANO.

I'm having similar problem.

I have configured all options of PineAp, with aggressive interval. Saved as default config. Then, when I reboot the PineAP, the settings changes to "disable PineAP Daemon" with normal interval of Beacon Response and Broadcast SSID Pool.

But the PineAp daemon works.! It finds some SSID

I'm using 1.1.1 and am seeing and receiving clients, I can also deauth (have used wifite on nano to capture handshakes) and recon is working for me and hasn't hung so far.

maybe try a factory reset + format of SD and if that doesn't clear it try a firmware recovery. https://www.wifipineapple.com/pages/faq

Edited by Just_a_User
typo
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Just_a_User said:

I'm using 1.1.1 and am seeing and receiving clients, I can also deauth (have used wifite on nano to capture handshakes) and recon is working for me and hasn't hung so far.

maybe try a factory reset + format of SD and if that doesn't clear it try a firmware recovery. https://www.wifipineapple.com/pages/faq

Hi,

I've just upgraded to 1.1.1 and I'm having the same issues. PineAP just doesn't work. I can't get clients connected nor any SSID in the pool. I've tried factory reset (twice) and a firmware recovery without success.

Hi,

I noticed a PineAP update on the module manager yesterday as a system update. Maybe installing that resolves your problem. Can you SSH in and check /pineapple/modules/PineAP/module.info - latest is v1.3

Also in the past i see you have had SD card issues (not mounting) did you get those resolved?

You say you cant add any SSID's to the pool, even manually using the GUI?

Edited by Just_a_User

4 hours ago, Just_a_User said:

Hi,

I noticed a PineAP update on the module manager yesterday as a system update. Maybe installing that resolves your problem. Can you SSH in and check /pineapple/modules/PineAP/module.info - latest is v1.3

Also in the past i see you have had SD card issues (not mounting) did you get those resolved?

You say you cant add any SSID's to the pool, even manually using the GUI?

Hi,

• I've installed all updates, including latest system modules (PineAP v.1.3), issue persists.
  • Problem with mounting SD card was fixed with firmware update v1.1.1
  • I can add SSIDs manually, but SSID captures and pool population doesn't work.

Assuming there is traffic to pick up you would expect log to start showing up after a while.

Have you formatted the SD on the advanced page under USB?  and change log location to /sd/tmp/

Also, if you manually add a SSID to the pool, when you enable PineAP daemon and Broadcast SSID pool can you see the SSID on a device?

Edited by Just_a_User

3 minutes ago, Just_a_User said:

Assuming there is traffic to pick up you would expect log to start showing up after a while.

Pretty sure the PineAP log files are stored on the SD, have you formatted the SD on the advanced page under USB?  its almost like still having SD issues. Do you have another SD card to try? just to rule it out at least.

If I add SSID manually to the pool I can see some probes in the logs, no associations. But, why the SSIDs capture doesn't work?

I've tested in various public places with many potential clients and ESSIDs, the behavior is not normal. 

If I add SSID manually to the pool I can see some probes in the logs, no associations. But, why the SSIDs capture doesn't work?

I've tested in various public places with many potential clients and ESSIDs, the behavior is not normal. 

Well sounds like PineAP is actually working but hasn't picked up much traffic. which is better than its not working at all.

If you add a ssid to the pool and check the broadcast SSID box can you see the SSID on a phone/pc? to check its being broadcast.

IF it is, can you join it manually? if you can join it manually does it show up on the connected clients page?

Edited by Just_a_User

Can I add my name to the list here...

Running a Nano on 1.1.1 with PineAP v1.3

Testing with client device in the same room as the Nano and the genuine AP several rooms away:

Deauth is completely ineffective on PineAP (even with multiplier set to 9), works fine on Site Survey

Client will consistently return to the genuine AP irrespective of how aggressive I set the PineAP

Hoping this gets sorted soon, a MITM device that can't get itself in the middle is not much use

Hi everyone,

I would love to get this issue resolved as soon as possible, but unfortunately I am unable to confirm any issues with PineAP. To verify that the functionality works, can everyone that has this issue verify the following:

• SSIDs added to the PineAP pool (manually or otherwise) are being broadcast
  • Manually adding a new network on a mobile device (such as test_network_123xyz) results in a successful connection
  • This connection is logged appropriately (probes and associations)
  • The SSID (test_network_123xyz) is now in the PineAP pool
  • The mobile device shows up in the clients view.

I would also like to know if you can all guarantee that firmwares before 1.1.X on the NANO or TETRA worked as you expected. I ask because while we did make some driver changes, no  major PineAP changes were introduced.

Sorry, but dumb question... when I have PineAP broadcasting the SSID pool I should be able to see the fake SSIDs from another machine running "iwlist wlan0 scan" when the PineAP Daemon is enabled and "Broadcast SSID Pool" is checked and saved right?  I thought I saw that with the previous version but now under 1.1.1 I am not sure I am broadcasting as I only see the real ones (on real Channel 11 as opposed to Channel 1 where I have the Pineapple Access Point Channel set).

2 hours ago, Sebkinne said:

Hi everyone,

I would love to get this issue resolved as soon as possible, but unfortunately I am unable to confirm any issues with PineAP. To verify that the functionality works, can everyone that has this issue verify the following:

• SSIDs added to the PineAP pool (manually or otherwise) are being broadcast
  • Manually adding a new network on a mobile device (such as test_network_123xyz) results in a successful connection
  • This connection is logged appropriately (probes and associations)
  • The SSID (test_network_123xyz) is now in the PineAP pool
  • The mobile device shows up in the clients view.

I would also like to know if you can all guarantee that firmwares before 1.1.X on the NANO or TETRA worked as you expected. I ask because while we did make some driver changes, no  major PineAP changes were introduced.

Hi Seb, 

After another factory reset (fourth in two days) and module update, I've done these tests from home and it works fine:

• Yes, SSIDs I've added manually to the PineAP pool are being broadcast
  • Yes, added manually test_network_456qwe with a successful connection
  • Yes, connections are logged (probes and associations)
  • Yes, the SSID (test_network_456qwe) is now in the PineAP pool
  • Yes, mobile device shows up in the clients view.

However, when I try to use PineAP in crowded places like malls, coffee shops or airport, simply there is no SSID additions or any client probe/association. Sometimes it's frustrating.

With the latest update I have noticed that module behavior is not the same as the previous versions. Population of SSID pool was faster and likewise associations were more effective.

I'll keep trying. I've supported this project since the Mark II and I'm always amazed of your good work with the latest versions. Thank you.

2 minutes ago, D4rkOperat0r said:
  • Yes, SSIDs I've added manually to the PineAP pool are being broadcast
  • Yes, added manually test_network_456qwe with a successful connection
  • Yes, connections are logged (probes and associations)
  • Yes, the SSID (test_network_456qwe) is now in the PineAP pool
  • Yes, mobile device shows up in the clients view.

This seems to indicate PineAP running as it should. It also seems to indicate that when a device probes for a network, it is picked up by hostapd correctly. If these things work, it's usually just the clients that aren't looking.

2 minutes ago, D4rkOperat0r said:

However, when I try to use PineAP in crowded places like malls, coffee shops or airport, simply there is no SSID additions or any client probe/association. Sometimes it's frustrating.

With the latest update I have noticed that module behavior is not the same as the previous versions. Population of SSID pool was faster and likewise associations were more effective

I assume you have permission to do this, as that doesn't sound very legal otherwise. Assuming you ran PineAP with "Allow Associations" turned off to prevent collateral, it is weird that you are seeing a low amount of probes and therefore additions to the PineAP pool at such high density places. I am very curious to know if you would have gotten the same result running an older firmware.

I will investigate this issue some more, and see if there is really something wrong with the newer firmwares.

• Upvote 2

Just to update...

I just got my nano, it's my first pineapple, so I can't say if it worked prior to 1.1.1 (update as I was setting up)

I tried the tests and all were successful, so I'd take your point that proves the functionality of PineAP

The issues I'm left with are deauth only working through Site Survey and clients going straight back to the original AP (ignoring the spoofed SSID) after deauth. 

I'd accept this is likely end user stupidity on my part as I'm new to pineapples, I'll figure these out on my own.

Thanks for the help. 

14 hours ago, weephatz said:

Just to update...

I just got my nano, it's my first pineapple, so I can't say if it worked prior to 1.1.1 (update as I was setting up)

I tried the tests and all were successful, so I'd take your point that proves the functionality of PineAP

The issues I'm left with are deauth only working through Site Survey and clients going straight back to the original AP (ignoring the spoofed SSID) after deauth. 

I'd accept this is likely end user stupidity on my part as I'm new to pineapples, I'll figure these out on my own.

Thanks for the help. 

I had this problem and there was an update to Recon (1.2) this seemed to fix my problem with the Deauth.

• Upvote 2