Codename Buffalo Bulldozer Update: issue with PineAP

rrlocksmith

On 8/31/2016 at 9:00 PM, coyotlgw said:

Sorry, but dumb question... when I have PineAP broadcasting the SSID pool I should be able to see the fake SSIDs from another machine running "iwlist wlan0 scan" when the PineAP Daemon is enabled and "Broadcast SSID Pool" is checked and saved right?  I thought I saw that with the previous version but now under 1.1.1 I am not sure I am broadcasting as I only see the real ones (on real Channel 11 as opposed to Channel 1 where I have the Pineapple Access Point Channel set).

not to bump my own post, but as I see no SSIDs other than the real ones I am asking again... should I see my whole list of 144 SSIDs from the PineAP SSID list when I broadcast SSID Pool?  Phones and PCs see none of the fake ones but I could swear i saw them all in iwlist when I was on the previous version

10 hours ago, coyotlgw said:

not to bump my own post, but as I see no SSIDs

10 hours ago, coyotlgw said:

not to bump my own post, but as I see no SSIDs other than the real ones I am asking again... should I see my whole list of 144 SSIDs from the PineAP SSID list when I broadcast SSID Pool?  Phones and PCs see none of the fake ones but I could swear i saw them all in iwlist when I was on the previous version

Broadcast SSID pool works. Try to clear the 144 SSIDs and insert 1 SSID into the pool and see if that works. 

Test objective: To test if SSID that is broadcasted by nano is visible by other devices

My settings

SSID Pool (these AP does not exist in the environment): 
testwifi
test123

PineAP Daemon: Enabled
PineAP ->  Broadcast SSID Pool
Broadcast SSID Pool interval -> Aggressive

Test Results:
My mobile detected the testwifi & test123 with no problems

OK... so I removed all from my SSID list and manually entered abc_fake and xyz_fake. 

Fired up

PineAP Daemon: Enabled
     PineAP ->  Broadcast SSID Pool
     Broadcast SSID Pool interval -> Aggressive

started up a tablet and it see neither as available, but it automatically connected to one of the fake SSID's I made last time that is no longer being broadcast or on the list.

Manually entered abc_fake into the tablet and it connected.  Entered SSID "noodle" on the tablet as I have never used this before, tablet connected.

So This works like the MkV where it quietly claims to be whomever you are asking for, but then why do I need to broadcast SSIDs if I cannot see them and the clients just join whatever i ask to join as the Pineapple?

15 hours ago, coyotlgw said:

So This works like the MkV where it quietly claims to be whomever you are asking for, but then why do I need to broadcast SSIDs if I cannot see them and the clients just join whatever i ask to join as the Pineapple?

If the SSIDs are in the Pineapple, they should be broadcasting. Spin up Wireshark with your wireless interface in monitor mode and sniff the packets. That will let you know for sure if there are being broadcast and what those broadcasts look like. I've found that sometimes laptops and mobile devices have a hard time displaying multiple SSIDs coming from a device with the same MAC but usually they show one or two. 

Another thing to check is your Target MAC. If it's not FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF or the mac of your target, you could have problems seeing the SSIDs.

Secondly, not all devices will connect to the Pineapple in the way your laptop did. Some devices don't send probe requests embedded with SSIDs. Some devices send out broadcasts that ask access points to relay what SSIDs are assigned to them. In those cases you'll want to lure a targeted device by broadcasting a smart list of open access point SSIDs.

• Upvote 1