Questions about WiFi Pineapple Connector app

Boo51799

I'm honestly glad that the NANO is a beta unit but at the same time spending $100+ on a device I can't even use is really sad.

I talked to a friend who had a problem with the Rubber Ducky when he got it from hak5 he ended up having a paper weight ducky till he found out later that the firmware that came with the rubber ducky was out dated so..

I hope one day I'll end up being able to use the NANO lol right now it will be going into the gadget box.

Typical hak5 sell you stuff that doesn't work correctly half the time :B

Edited by ZaraByte

Tethering does work well with my phone, and I'm able to log in with any devices over wifi .....172.16.42.1:1471.

Your not really missing much, it's just as responsive over wifi as it is with the data cable.

It was my understanding before I purchased, that the Nano would use my cellular data, if I used the app and cable to tether

I don't recall reading anything about, tethering from an android devce's wifi.

Granted, that would be a great feature, if it is implemented, but I don't believe the Nano was advertised to be able to do that.

You can add a wifi card and use client mode, it works well. Your unit, or even the firmware isn't defective.

If I get a chance to try the EasyTether, and it works I'll let you know.

Edited by xrad

The problem you are experiencing is not Hak5s fault, the pineapples fault, or (surprisingly) your fault. If you would of Googled "Nexus 7 Android 6.0 Tethering", you would of quickly realised that the feature has been removed from Marshmallow on the Nexus 7.

To clarify, it's not at all the Pineapple that causes this problem as were so quick to claim, and an ounce of research would have told you this yourself.

• Upvote 1

The problem you are experiencing is not Hak5s fault, the pineapples fault, or (surprisingly) your fault. If you would of Googled "Nexus 7 Android 6.0 Tethering", you would of quickly realised that the feature has been removed from Marshmallow on the Nexus 7.

To clarify, it's not at all the Pineapple that causes this problem as were so quick to claim, and an ounce of research would have told you this yourself.

Lol clearly you didn't watch my video because I already said in that video that tethering was removed in 6.0.1 its only in 5.1.1 anything newer its no longer there I did nothing their is a USB Ethernet option inside the Developer Options you can change from MTP to USB Ethernet then you can see that the USB option shows up under the NANO's ifconfig but has no IP Address assigned :B

But I knew the day I flashed to 6.0.1 that Tethering was removed I came across a few things like http://androidflagship.com/16664-enable-tethering-on-android-6-0-marshmallow-updatebut that didn't work so the only thing you can do if you wanna have Tethering for a Nexus 7 2013 Tablet is ...

1. Downgrade to Android 5.1.1 and risk having a vulnerable Tablet.

2. Buy a Different nexus device other than a Nexus 7 2013 WiFi Tablet.

Lol clearly you didn't watch my video because I already said in that video that tethering was removed in 6.0.1 its only in 5.1.1 anything newer its no longer there I did nothing their is a USB Ethernet option inside the Developer Options you can change from MTP to USB Ethernet then you can see that the USB option shows up under the NANO's ifconfig but has no IP Address assigned :B

But I knew the day I flashed to 6.0.1 that Tethering was removed I came across a few things like http://androidflagship.com/16664-enable-tethering-on-android-6-0-marshmallow-updatebut that didn't work so the only thing you can do if you wanna have Tethering for a Nexus 7 2013 Tablet is ...

1. Downgrade to Android 5.1.1 and risk having a vulnerable Tablet.

2. Buy a Different nexus device other than a Nexus 7 2013 WiFi Tablet.

Ok, sorry I missed that part, I skipped through some of the 20 useless minutes you spent flashing a device (that had nothing to do with the NANO)...

I still fail to see how you can blame Hak5 for "selling devices the work half the time" when it is nothing to do with them. And say the App does not work, as you did in the video. If you had waited and watched mine instead of complaining, then you would of seen this.

The app works.

Edited by Foxtrot

Ok, sorry I missed that part, I skipped through some of the 20 useless minutes you spent flashing a device (that had nothing to do with the NANO)...

I still fail to see how you can blame Hak5 for "selling devices the work half the time" when it is nothing to do with them. And say the App does not work, as you did in the video. If you had waited and watched mine instead of complaining, then you would of seen this.

The app works.

The app works fine with your device but not with a nexus 7 2013 tablet just yet. Which is misleading the box clearly says; Requirements: Smartphone or Tablet well I guess that leaves out the Nexus 7 2013 tablet because the app doesn't even work with Android 5.1.1 you can at least enable tethering but the app doesn't take you anywhere after enabling tethering.

I swear some people have no idea what Google or a search function is. I put marshmallow on my nexus 7 and found out in 10 minutes that was a mistake and went back to 5.1.1 to use with my nano. No forum thread needed.

My video is to warn people who might not have any other nexus device other than a Nexus 7 2013 Had If I would've known the app didn't work with a Nexus 7 2013 tablet I might would've held off buying the NANO.

The app works fine with your device but not with a nexus 7 2013 tablet just yet. Which is misleading the box clearly says; Requirements: Smartphone or Tablet well I guess that leaves out the Nexus 7 2013 tablet because the app doesn't even work with Android 5.1.1 you can at least enable tethering but the app doesn't take you anywhere after enabling tethering.

My video is to warn people who might not have any other nexus device other than a Nexus 7 2013 Had If I would've known the app didn't work with a Nexus 7 2013 tablet I might would've held off buying the NANO.

It does work in 5.1.1. Click the app, enable tethering, pineapple has Internet. How does it not work? I've done it no less than 3 dozen times now. Edited by jermzz

It does work in 5.1.1. Click the app, enable tethering, pineapple has Internet. How does it not work?

Check your 5.1.1 build for me and let me know what build your using maybe your using a different 5.1.1 build then I had when I had 5.1.1

Ok, now I think I know maybe what is going on ZaraByte, after you configure, use the back button on your android, (triangle, circle, square at the bottom of your device) the triangle pointing to the left.... Then it will try to connect to your nano, when it does, it will ask what browser you want to use. Then your good.

Open the app, configure, turn tethering on, make sure it stays on.....hit the sideways triangle, it will connect.... Choose your browser.....profit....

Edited by xrad

Ok, now I think I know maybe what is going on ZaraByte, after you configure, use the back button on your android, (triangle, circle, square at the bottom of your device) the triangle pointing to the left.... Then it will try to connect to your nano, when it does, it will ask what browser you want to use. Then your good.

Nope the app does nothing you enable tethering tap back still says that Tethering is disabled gonna flash to stock 5.1.1 and I'll record a short video of what happens when I try to configure Tethering on a Nexus 7 :B

Crap......I'm sure you tried this too..... If you have another cable to try, is all I can think...... Hey don't give up, we are trying to help. Remember the cable sent with the battery usb to micro usb, is for charging only.

Edited by xrad

Check your 5.1.1 build for me and let me know what build your using maybe your using a different 5.1.1 build then I had when I had 5.1.1

Here's some shots. Showing pineapple connected and showing it has Internet via update page. A second screen showing build and Kernal, and a third showing its all running on Kali. And all I did was use the wifi pineapple connector app.

4FDA69D6-736F-4FAF-81F3-BFE75DE8934D.jpg

14711226-B03B-41B0-969C-D2D50C237F1E.jpg

2643C96D-07AD-4EA2-ACE0-8E0A738F0362.jpg

So now you tell me if it's a hak5 issue or a user issue?

EDIT: I'm currently on 5.0.1 for another reason, but it works the same on 5.1.1

Edited by jermzz

ZaraByte -

Thanks for providing detailed feedback on the WiFi Pineapple NANO. While it is unfortunate that your particular Android device does not support USB Tethering, I have yet to see any indication that your NANO is not working properly.

Similar to the wp6.sh script, the WiFi Pineapple Connector app is provided free of charge as a convenient way to tether the device. The former is a front-end to iptables, and the later is a front-end to figuring out the IP address of the WiFi Pineapple on your Android device when USB Tethered. Given the nearly infinite unix network configurations and nearly 20,000 unique Android devices, we cannot possibly warrant or support each. Not all Android devices support USB Tethering, and we are not in control of that situation. Simply put, the issue is far outside the scope of this project.

That said, we're here on the community forums to be as helpful as possible. There is no one way to use the WiFi Pineapple, and creative solutions are presented all the time. As xrad pointed out, iMcPwn's tutorial on Easy Tether for Android may be helpful. https://forums.hak5.org/index.php?/topic/37101-questions-about-usb-tethering/page-2#entry270022

Similarly the WiFi Pineapple may be tethered over its built-in USB Ethernet controller in Windows, Linux, OSX, Android, or via WiFi to an access point or portable hot-spot.

The requirements listed on the box state "Computer, Smartphone or Tablet" as well as "Internet Connection for Setup". In a previous video you demonstrated the new interface, so obviously you have completed setup successfully. I also see a Windows computer in your video, so might I recommend the following Hak5 video on Internet Connection Sharing with Windows:

I'm honestly glad that the NANO is a beta unit but at the same time spending $100+ on a device I can't even use is really sad.

I talked to a friend who had a problem with the Rubber Ducky when he got it from hak5 he ended up having a paper weight ducky till he found out later that the firmware that came with the rubber ducky was out dated so..

I hope one day I'll end up being able to use the NANO lol right now it will be going into the gadget box.

Typical hak5 sell you stuff that doesn't work correctly half the time :B

The WiFi Pineapple NANO is in a development and evaluation phase while we finalize certification -- and we're providing early access to developers and evaluators to gather feedback, make bug fixes, refine features and develop modules. Based on your shown expertise, I am confident that you will be able to use your NANO rather than relegating it to the "gadget box".

Regarding the USB Rubber Ducky - it has always shipped with the same factory firmware -- so there's no way your friends device was a paperweight due to an out dated firmware. We do support flashing community firmware versions through the DFU bootloader, but those aren't made by us.

Saying "Typical Hak5 sell you stuff that doesn't work correctly half the time" is absolutely bogus. Everyone here is trying to be as helpful as possible, and while we value your input, a little less hostility would be appreciated. We stand by our products and I reject any statement to the contrary. If you're not satisfied with the NANO, I'm happy to take it back.

• Upvote 6

I can attest to hack5 standing behind their product, I won't even go into it but, they do, more so than any other company I have ever dealt with.

* This opinion has not been payed for by hak5 or any subsidiearies of hak5.

Edited by xrad

Someone explain this to me what I'm doing wrong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REkjAfBkwIU

If this user https://forums.hak5.org/index.php?/topic/37361-wifi-pineapple-connector-app-issue/page-2

Managed to get it working on the same tablet and android version and build I have then why does the app not work like it's supposed to for me? Clearly you have 6 minutes to watch this video and tell me what i'm doing wrong?

Someone explain this to me what I'm doing wrong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REkjAfBkwIU

If this user https://forums.hak5.org/index.php?/topic/37361-wifi-pineapple-connector-app-issue/page-2

Managed to get it working on the same tablet and android version and build I have then why does the app not work like it's supposed to for me? Clearly you have 6 minutes to watch this video and tell me what i'm doing wrong?

Looks like tethering is working, but the app doesn't recoginize it. It'll require some debugging, but we'll get that sorted out.

Thankfully, I see you are running Nethunter! In Nethunter v3.0, with the latest Nethunter APK, there should be native WiFi Pineapple NANO support. I'm verifying that it all works, but we'll have a video out on that soon.

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I've got the Pineapple NANO and enabled USB tethering in my Samsung S4. (Had to use my old Nokia cable since the one which came with the NANO didn't work).

The next issue I have is that when running Android Wi-Fi Pinneapple app it just tells me that Tethering is disabled and that I must configure it. Even though tethering is actually working since I can connect devices to the NANO and the devices is able to access the Internet.

So I don't get why the app still tells me it's disabled when it's clearly not :P Not really an issue for me but just wanted to inform you guys and check if you've heard about it before.

Other than this small issue it's running great! Just waiting to get the sslstrip infusion when ready..

/crashie

Well known issue. My S4 didn't work either. IIRC it has something to do with different implementations of tethering. It might actually be working and it's just the app just doesn't let you continue.

If you connect over wifi and `ifconfig` the eth0 adapter, you should get the IP of the nano and then be able to type that in to the phone browser's URL bar.

I just sold the S4 and went with a Nexus 5 from warehousedeal.com for $100.

Edited by audibleblink

I did see in the new Nethunter APK there appears to be an option for the WiFi Pineapple Connector App haven't got to try it yet but I did see it it the menu after I updated the app in the menu.

• 2 months later...

wifi pineapple connector app NOT AVAILABLE on Google Play store? Just ordered Nano and getting ready to download and SURPRISE, SURPRISE...not available at Google Play. WT#?

We are currently publishing a new version with a couple of fixes.

Edit: https://forums.hak5.org/index.php?/topic/38197-updated-wifi-pineapple-connector-app-for-android/

Best regards,

Sebkinne