Boo51799

1. Power on the NANO

2. Connect a USB cable between the host USB port on the NANO to the Android

3. Enable USB Tethering on the Android

4. Connect a computer to the NANO WiFi network

5. From the computer, SSH into the NANO as root@172.16.42.1

6. From the SSH prompt (root@pineapple) issue the ifconfig command

7. Note the IP Address of interface usb0

8. On the Android, open Chrome and browse to http://<IP Address from step above>:1471

Let us know if that gets you the WiFi Pineapple web interface on your Android device.

• Upvote 2

ok so i know to do what you just said i will need linux. One question i am running windows 7, and i kno there are multiple kinds of linux os's out there. So which one do i need? please leave a link to the download thank. :)

you don't need Linux for that. download putty for windows (putty.org) for the ssh step listed above, and continue with steps.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone had any luck getting the WiFi Pineapple Connector App working on a Nexus 7 2013 WiFi tablet running 5.1.1 build number LMY48M

I enabled tethering pressed the back button it still says Tethering Disabled You must first configure USB Tethering clicked the CONFIGURE shows USB tethering is tethered but the app doesn't go to figuring the nano.

Anyone had any luck getting the WiFi Pineapple Connector App working on a Nexus 7 2013 WiFi tablet running 5.1.1 build number LMY48M

I enabled tethering pressed the back button it still says Tethering Disabled You must first configure USB Tethering clicked the CONFIGURE shows USB tethering is tethered but the app doesn't go to figuring the nano.

Tried closing the app and opening it again?

Is the tablet service through a carrier (i.e. Verison, AT&T,etc), ive seen people having problems with carrier issues on devices. Also I could not get mine working for a while but then i disconnected my wifi on my device and boom it worked great.

Assuming that you're trying to tether your wifi.... (And it's not a mobile connected tablet)

This is a known bug they're working on fixing. I have the same problem and I have the same tablet as you. I've tried multiple flavors of kitkat lollipop and marshmallow with the same problem.

The temporary work around is to connect to the management interface with a separate device and ssh to the nano and run ifconfig. You'll see the 192.168.x.x ip that the nano is running on. Then on the nexus just go to that ip on the nano port and it should work. The tethering works, just have to figure out what IP the nano is being given from the tablet. I tether mine from the hotspot of my iPhone because it's the only way I can get Internet to the nano on the go.

Assuming that you're trying to tether your wifi.... (And it's not a mobile connected tablet)

This is a known bug they're working on fixing. I have the same problem and I have the same tablet as you. I've tried multiple flavors of kitkat lollipop and marshmallow with the same problem.

The temporary work around is to connect to the management interface with a separate device and ssh to the nano and run ifconfig. You'll see the 192.168.x.x ip that the nano is running on. Then on the nexus just go to that ip on the nano port and it should work. The tethering works, just have to figure out what IP the nano is being given from the tablet. I tether mine from the hotspot of my iPhone because it's the only way I can get Internet to the nano on the go.

Yeah this pretty much is the problem because its a WiFi Tablet so it doesn't have 3g/4g services only has WiFi for a source of internet and its the Nexus 7 2013 WiFi Tablet.

I did manage to get it working by enabling tethering on the tablet and then what I did was used my laptop to see what the ip was under then networking section on the nano you can see a ifconfig thing that lists all the stuff without having to SSH in. Hopefully they will get the app fixed would be nice to be able to use the app for accessing nano.

Boo51799

jujubes is correct. I just set mine up on Windows 10 without any issues. Albeit I skipped the SSH part and played around with the WebUI for a bit.

Answering your question about Linux... you would be hard-pressed to find any Linux distribution that doesn't have an SSH client out of the box :)

For new folks I might recommend one of the Linux Mint variants (www.linuxmint.com). Don't fret about picking "Cinnamon" vs. "MATE" vs. "XFCE" because those are all just names for the default desktop environment. All of them are fairly Windows-like, in that they have a "Start" menu in the bottom left. :)

Plus you can always download one onto a CD or USB stick and boot to it without having to do a full install.

Have fun!

- Banjo

I have just recently bought a WiFi pineapple nano. I downloaded the app and when I Connected the pineapple i enabled tethering. But the app says i still dont have tethering enabled so i cant use my pineapple. Anyone know how to fix this?

You need to use the OEM cable that came with the device that you use for charging your device if you don't have the cable that came with the device you will problems but also I notice that The WiFi Pineapple Connector Ap doesn't do anything but enable Tethering.

Word of advice I believe Google might have removed or disabled Tethering on Android 6.x I tried using the WiFi Pineapple Connector App on Android 6.0.x and when I clicked the Configure it just shows a white screen so I reflashed my device with Android 5.1.1 and downloaded the WiFi Pineapple Connector App and when I click Configure I can see the options for Tethering however once I enabled Tether and tapped back the app just stays on the Window telling me to enable Tethering it doesn't go anywhere even if I tap back twice really fast so I just the WiFi Pineapple Connector App needs to be worked on.

Edited by ZaraByte

Here is a video I did showing what happens you can watch at 0:49-2:28 but you can also watch the whole video I guess if you want because I do show that tethering is working because im still able to access the NANO by going another route.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4Ppq1x2kJE

Went out and got a Nexus 5 so I could use the app. Needed an excuse anyway, but the "Tethering Disabled" bug was present on the S4. App works now.

Nexus 5 -- 6.0.1 -- Nethunter flashed over factory HammerHead image

Just upgraded to 6.0.1 on a Nexus 6, Connector app works flawlessly (as it did on 5.0.1).

Here is an MP4 I made while testing a screen recording app, works quickly and effortlessly.

Are you sure you have it plugged in correctly with the correct cable, Zarabyte?

Can't even watch the video I take your hosting that off your home internet cause that video loads epicly slow. I'm gonna do a video showing you how im doing it :B

Just upgraded to 6.0.1 on a Nexus 6, Connector app works flawlessly (as it did on 5.0.1).

Here is an MP4 I made while testing a screen recording app, works quickly and effortlessly.

Are you sure you have it plugged in correctly with the correct cable, Zarabyte?

Do you run nethunter on your nexus 6? I'm already tired of either using my hotspot on my iPhone (primary phone) or tethering to my nexus 7. I want to get either a nexus 5 or 6 and put it on my att mobile share plan.

If so, how does nethunter run with it? Well? How annoying is it using shell on a smaller screen day to day? I wish I could get my hands on both and play with them. I know my 2012 and 2013 nexus 7's are days apart on speed when running nethunter. Especially metasploit.

Do you run nethunter on your nexus 6? I'm already tired of either using my hotspot on my iPhone (primary phone) or tethering to my nexus 7. I want to get either a nexus 5 or 6 and put it on my att mobile share plan.

If so, how does nethunter run with it? Well? How annoying is it using shell on a smaller screen day to day? I wish I could get my hands on both and play with them. I know my 2012 and 2013 nexus 7's are days apart on speed when running nethunter. Especially metasploit.

Never used nethunter, but using a shell on the 6 isn't too bad. Can be annoying with larger commands.

I've included a long video that covers step by step what I'm doing using a clean stock install of Android and then trying to use the WiFi Pineapple Connector App it's a long video and bonus rant for people to give dislikes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyOUFtx0bgs

By the way took me over 6 hours to upload it LOL.

Did you ever get it working?

It's to large for me to watch until I connect to wifi.

*Edit.... After reading the posts again, I guess you did.....Ill watch it when I am able.

Edited by xrad

Did you ever get it working?

It's to large for me to watch until I connect to wifi.

*Edit.... After reading the posts again, I guess you did.....Ill watch it when I am able.

No the app still doesn't work for The Nexus 7 2013 WiFi tablet I've tried flashing to 4.4.3 5.1.1 and 6.0.1 and I also tried using the Cyanogenmod with Android 6.0.1 that didn't work either.

Their is no Tethering section on Android 6.0.1 unless its in another location I clicked the Configure on the WiFi Pineapple Connector App takes you to a Tethering & portable hotspot but the section just shows a white blank area nothing is their where as on Android 4.4.2-5.1.1 there shows;

Airplane mode

NFC

Android Beam

Tethering & portable hotspot

VPN

However anything newer than 5.1.1 doesn't appear to have a Tethering & portable hotspot section.

iMcPwn came up with a way using "EasyTeather" that might work in the other thread.

https://forums.hak5.org/index.php?/topic/37101-questions-about-usb-tethering/page-2#entry270022

You can maybe try the free version first. I haven't tried it but it's worth a shot.

He said (a few posts below that one) he disabled his Data with WiFi on, and the nano still had Internet??

Good luck, if it works let us know.

Edited by xrad