Updated WiFi Pineapple Connector app for Android

Sebkinne

Hey everyone,

We have released an update the the Android app hopefully fixing the issues people were having before.

Because of a mess-up on our part, we are unable to publish an update to the Google Play Marketplace, so you are going to have to remove and re-download the previous connector app.

You can find the official app on the Play Store.

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

So, I'm just curious does this issue have anything to do with the issue I was having in the past or na?

So, I'm just curious does this issue have anything to do with the issue I was having in the past or na?

I'm not sure. If you are referring to the nexus 7 tablet issue, most likely not (that's a Android limitation (depending on version, manufacturer, carrier, etc), not something the app can fix).

We have fixed two issues:

1. The issue with tethering not being detected as enabled is now moot, as we simply ask the user if tethering has been enabled or not. Sadly without root there is no standard way to simply check if tethering is enabled or not. There are hacks, but they vary greatly on vendor / software.

2. We should also have resolved the issue where some devices are stuck on "Waiting for WiFi Pineapple".

Edit: If this resolved your issue, please do let me know.

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

It's strange... new app aside, I can enable tethering on my phone through my computers USB port but through the NANO it starts charging the phone. :blink:

Samsung Galaxy S4 btw, same results as the previous app though now I can't enable it at all.

I'm not sure. If you are referring to the nexus 7 tablet issue, most likely not (that's a Android limitation (depending on version, manufacturer, carrier, etc), not something the app can fix).

We have fixed two issues:

1. The issue with tethering not being detected as enabled is now moot, as we simply ask the user if tethering has been enabled or not. Sadly without root there is no standard way to simply check if tethering is enabled or not. There are hacks, but they vary greatly on vendor / software.

2. We should also have resolved the issue where some devices are stuck on "Waiting for WiFi Pineapple".

Edit: If this resolved your issue, please do let me know.

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

Seb,

The fix works great! I'm running a Nexus 7 with Android version 6.0.1. The tethering process worked without a problem and I'm navigating the Nano gui with no issue. Thanks for all your hard work!

I tried it out on my HTC ONE M9 (Factory unlocked), and the usb tethering is still greyed out.

Thanks anyway.

Tethering being grayed out is not something related to the app, but rather to the carrier, vendor, or firmware.

It MAY be possible that they require a different driver on the pineapple, though this is very unlikely.. I'll have a look.

Best regards,

Sebkinne

hold on a sec..

if my memory serves me right, I´m not supposed to use the cable that came with my pineapple juice.

I don´t think it´s a DATA cable.

I will try and grab another usb cable and post the results.

Cheers

hold on a sec..

if my memory serves me right, I´m not supposed to use the cable that came with my pineapple juice.

I don´t think it´s a DATA cable.

I will try and grab another usb cable and post the results.

Cheers

Correct!

didn't test the new app yet, but the translation of the App description in the German Play Store is a mess:

Günstig verwalten und Ihre Internetverbindung mit dem WiFi-Ananas teilen.

it's like "cheap administer and your internet connection sharing with an WiFi-Pineapple". (for non-german-speaking)

better would be: "Einfaches verwalten und teilen der Internetverbindung mit der WiFi-Pineapple." (WiFi-Pineapple should not be translated as it's a name.)

didn't test the new app yet, but the translation of the App description in the German Play Store is a mess:

it's like "cheap administer and your internet connection sharing with an WiFi-Pineapple". (for non-german-speaking)

better would be: "Einfaches verwalten und teilen der Internetverbindung mit der WiFi-Pineapple." (WiFi-Pineapple should not be translated as it's a name.)

Oh god, seriously?

I guess Google auto translates them.. It didn't do that for the previous app. I'll see if I can disable that.

Edit: it's a user setting, not something I can change, unless I add translations for languages myself. I can definitely do a good German one, but I guess this is the something we have control over.

Best regards,

Sebkinne

Can someone give me the exact name of the cable that i'm suppose to use in order to connect my nano to my android phone?

Can seem to find one locally, therefore, I'd like to order.

Thanks!!

Can someone give me the exact name of the cable that i'm suppose to use in order to connect my nano to my android phone?

Can seem to find one locally, therefore, I'd like to order.

Thanks!!

You can use any USB data cable, like the one that came with your phone.

Actually, please correct me if i'm wrong, but it's not the same because what i need is a female usb to micro usb. The one my phone uses is a male to micro usb.

Would this work?:

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-5in-Micro-Host-Adapter/dp/B00B4GGW5Q/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1462408170&sr=8-5&keywords=female+usb+to+micro+usb

thx

Nope, you need a Male USB to male micro USB.

Your standard micro USB cable should do. Some micro USB cables such as the one that comes with the WiFi Pineapple NANO tactical edition battery are charge only. Those will not work for tethering.

As you asked about a female USB cable, please ensure that once you have your micro USB cable, you plug it into the FEMALE port on the WiFi Pineapple NANO. You will still need to power the WiFi Pineapple NANO somehow, as this cannot be done via the female USB host port.

The Micro USB end goes into your phone, and the tethering option should now be selectable (depending on Rom, manufacturer, or carrier).

Best regards,

Sebkinne

Thanks guys, it now seems to be working!!

One doubt however, as soon as it tethers, it opens up my browser and goes to 192.***.***.***

And then opens the gui (thru my browser). Is this normal or should it open the gui with the pineapple's software?

Thanks again guys.

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings,

I download the new App and install it on a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge.  I enabled tethering and connected the WiFI Pineapple to power and connected the phone to the Pineapple.  When I go to the WIFI Pineapple Connecter it just hangs at "Waiting for connection"  I have tried it about a dozen times and the same this happens. I resatred the Pineapple, the phone and tried a different connector.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

9 hours ago, VFMA83 said:

Greetings,

I download the new App and install it on a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge.  I enabled tethering and connected the WiFI Pineapple to power and connected the phone to the Pineapple.  When I go to the WIFI Pineapple Connecter it just hangs at "Waiting for connection"  I have tried it about a dozen times and the same this happens. I resatred the Pineapple, the phone and tried a different connector.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Double check to make sure the cable you are using to attach the phone to the nano is a data cable. I have several cables that can only be used for charging. They will not pass data.

Good afternoon Skinny,

Thank you for your response. Yes, I was able t transfer data with the cable and I tired another one just in case.  I am thinking it has to do with the USB tethering on the S7.  When I plug the device in and then enable USB I noticed that the USB configuration on the S7 changes to RNDIS (USB ethernet). Frustrating but I will keep trying.

Thank you

3 hours ago, VFMA83 said:

Good afternoon Skinny,

Thank you for your response. Yes, I was able t transfer data with the cable and I tired another one just in case.  I am thinking it has to do with the USB tethering on the S7.  When I plug the device in and then enable USB I noticed that the USB configuration on the S7 changes to RNDIS (USB ethernet). Frustrating but I will keep trying.

Thank you

I had a similar issue with my Nexus 7 2013 tablet which is why I ended up buying a Nexus 6 and took my phone to StraightTalk some how I've ended up getting 1 year of Unlimited Calling, Texting and Data and I only paid for 1 month so I dunno if its a promotion if you bring your own phone you get 1 year service and then you pay $45 a month after but I tried to contact StraightTalk the lady told me it was an error on the website well its been about 3 months now and I never added a credit card all I did was buy a $45 Unlimited Calling Texting and Data card from Walmart and I've had service going on 5 months now. 

On 4/28/2016 at 6:41 PM, Skinny said:

Seb,

The fix works great! I'm running a Nexus 7 with Android version 6.0.1. The tethering process worked without a problem and I'm navigating the Nano gui with no issue. Thanks for all your hard work!

What did you do to get tethering working on Nexus 7 6.0.1? 

The tethering option/page is blank. I've done some searching and tried a few things (settings put global tether_dun_required 0 and adding net.tethering.noprovisioning=true to /system/build.prop) but neither cause tethering to show up and allow me to enable it.

I didn't do anything but download the updated app and follow the instructions. I've heard before that some mobile service providers can limit tethering, but I don't know the veracity of such claims because I just use the tablet for it's WiFi capability. It's never been connected to a cell network.

• 1 month later...
On 28 april 2016 at 6:55 PM, Sebkinne said:

Hey everyone,

We have released an update the the Android app hopefully fixing the issues people were having before.

Because of a mess-up on our part, we are unable to publish an update to the Google Play Marketplace, so you are going to have to remove and re-download the previous connector app.

You can find the official app on the Play Store.

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

Hello  

everything goes according to your explanation, but he continues to seek the pineapel .sony 4. Android. he is rooted but not connected with pineapple help

Archived