Hak5.org - Dufuq?

psydT0ne

I'll be posting a video with a lengthier explanation later today. The jist is that our webmaster went to Japan, our wordpress fell over (as it does from time to time), and I don't have the keys to fix it. Literally -- I had even just lost the Yubikey that would have granted me access, had I had the credentials to bring the server back up.

When I got to the studio and found the website down I googled "time in japan". No dice, wicked early. I wanted *something* back up and youtube.com/hak5 seemed like the best bet. Sure there's revision3.com/hak5, but I can't disable the ads there. Pre-rolls get on my nerve like you wouldn't believe. Why put ads on a video that already has ads in it?

Later in the day Jason, our volunteer webmaster, let me know he didn't have time to keep maintaining the site. No hard feelings - he has a lot going on so we thank him for the years of service. Keeping hak5.org online and secure isn't an easy task. I'd take it on except that I already have limited time to work on quality content and innovative hacks, and those take priority. In this sense outsourcing isn't all that bad.

So with that all I can say is there's more to come. I have a lot to figure out. Like rss feeds, blog posts, show notes and download links to name a few.

On the bright side we're now DDoS-proof. Also the forums successfully updated and transferred to IPB's hosting infrastructure -- another sysadmin duty we've outsourced to the pros.

More to come. Stay tuned!

Shit happens! this website, team and community (cept for some of these haters) rock! Thanks for all the awesome stuff you guys develop and put out for us. Name a couple other websites where they explain how to make their product on your own for less money lol! Thank you Darren, Shannon, et al.

Good to hear that you're looking to the positive side of things. On a side note the main forums page looks pretty awesome now, I really like the style to it. I agree that the revision 3 websites ads were kind of annoying, particularly due to the fact that it required adblocker be disabled... and my pfsense router runs adblocker, which just made everything a really big pain when using R3. Thank you Hak5 Crew for all the hard work! :D

The old site is somewhat up and running at http://old.hak5.org and I'm working hard on a replacement. Stay tuned!

Looks like its not seeing the themes css, etc. Need to move to correct paths and should restore it, if you have the ability to login to wordpress, you could sort of jusr export all blog posts and pages to XML file, reinstall on new server, and import all blog posts and pages and it would be back, without needed the old database. Images and such, would have to be moved manually though, all files, etc, to match what lives in all blog posts and pages, but could start fresh..somewhat. Would test that in a VM though, not on the live site. Thats how I backup my site, export all blog posts and pages via wordpress export, then import to my VM so I can create new themes with my exisiting content.

The old site is somewhat up and running at http://old.hak5.org and I'm working hard on a replacement. Stay tuned!

Change http://hak5.org/wp-content/themes/arthemia-premium/style.css to http://old.hak5.org/wp-content/themes/arthemia-premium/style.css in header.php and should see theme load properly(for the most part). Make sure to switch back wherever you move it to though.

Being Wordpress, you will need to drop into the admin interface and update the hostname of the server in there. That should update all the rest of the place that it is using it as well (script tags, images, etc).

Yeah, shit does happen. *sigh*

I really like the look of the new forum. :)

Darren Thanks for the update. :)

Edited by bibbinut

A lot is going on, but its all for a good cause. Keep up the good work Darren.