Mark 4 Problem

I just got my mark 4 in the mail today and I tried reseting it and then flashing it. When I am running Freifunk Ap51 EasyFlash, I keep getting the error " stderr:Non ARP received. Make sure the device is connected directly. " I am using the plug it came with and ive tried with two different Ethernet cables. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

I just got my mark 4 in the mail today and I tried reseting it and then flashing it. When I am running Freifunk Ap51 EasyFlash, I keep getting the error " stderr:Non ARP received. Make sure the device is connected directly. " I am using the plug it came with and ive tried with two different Ethernet cables. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

The MK4 doesn't use the AP51 flash program as its not based off the AP51 PCB as the MK3 is.

follow Seb's post HERE to update the MK4.

The firmware can be downloaded here.

Edited by pewpew

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Apparently pewpew beat me to it. I get distracted easily... :D

Download the new firmware from: http://wifipineapple.com/doku.php?id=mk4firmware

Boot up the pineapple.

Navigate to 172.16.42.1/pineapple in your webbrowser

Click on the Upgrade tab

Click browse

Select the upgrade.bin file

Click Upgrade

Let the pineapple work its magic!

*DO NOT UNPLUG IT WHILE FLASHING*

Edited by iamk3

ConorSullivan,

Why did you try to reset it? What exactly did you do?

Can you take me through it step by step?

That way I can determine what exactly went wrong and where.

If you indeed have a "brick" because you have lost access, then there is a good chance you can restore the firmware by flashing over serial.

I highly recommend that you make sure to read up on it and that you know what you are doing - one typo can cause the device to become a piece of metal and plastic.

If you open up the device you will see the PCB. On it you will find 4 aligned pins (to the right of the USB (when looking at it from the front).

That is where you would plug in the Serial cable. Be careful not to plug it in the wrong way.

Serial cable wise, there are threads on this forum discussing what the best one to use is.

I will be writing up a detailed report on how to flash over serial, including pictures.

What is really important when working with devices like this, make sure that you read everything because flashing the wrong files will only cause trouble.

It can't work.

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

Try this...for me worked a lot of times.

30/30/30 reset

This is the first attempt to reset the hardware if you get locked out or if you misconfigure the router. The 30/30/30 reset is supported by almost any router. Actually, I’m not really sure if that is 100% correct but it doesn’t take much time to test and that’s why I tried it and I’m posting it here. It’s called the 30/30/30 reset because you will need to press the router’s reset button for thirty seconds for three period. Firstly, while the router is plugged in and running, press the reset button and keep pressing for thirty seconds. After the thirty seconds pass, remove the power jack but keep pressing the reset button. After another thirty seconds, plug in the router and keep the button pressed for another thirty seconds. If you do this correctly, the router should be reseted and ready to be bricked again. As I mentioned earlier, I didn’t have any success with this method so I’m just referencing. It defenitely works the try.

Then ...if the FW is openwrt based...

You can SSH in and type

mtd -r erase rootfs_data

Edited by m1k

While deep in dev I remember seeing all the time via serial "press f to enter failsafe" or something like that. Not sure if the reset button counts - never tried it. This was pretty early in the init, well within 30 seconds. If you can't contact the router over ethernet your only bet is serial. try "ifconfig eth0 172.16.42.42 netmask 255.255.255.0; ping 172.16.42.1" while connected to the PoE / LAN port (where eth0 = your ethernet device). It's more clicking in Windows but you get the idea. If you can ping it you should be able to ssh in as root with the default password "pineapplesareyummy" and flash the latest firmware by scp'ing over upgrade.bin to /tmp and issuing "sysupgrade -v -n /tmp/upgrade.bin"

Alternatively you can contact shop@hak5.org and Shannon will exchange your bricked pineapple for a fresh one.

Also, this is why the "hold reset for 5 seconds to replace /etc/config/network with defaults" was implemented in 1.0.1 ;)

The interrupt button on boot is to set it in "Recovery" mode. That is how you reset the password if you forget it on like OpenWRT routers where the reset button does not reset the admin/root password like your stock Linksys does. But you still need a UART connection to have the terminal to reset it.

I was attempting to do the rickroll and i figured that i may have screwed up while i was scp-ing the files over to the pineapple. so i downloaded the upgrade.bin, headed over to the upgrade.php, uploaded the filed and hit upgrade. from there the page refreshed and then went to an error page saying that the connection was lost. from there i was no longer able to access the pineapple via 172.16.42.1/pineapple . im going to give the "30/30/30" a try, followed by trying to ping the pineapple to see if i can still ssh over to it. thanks for all of the help. and Darren, for offering to replace it! Ill post my results here soon.

ConorSullivan,

As I said, you should read what the page says. It says the error is normal.

It says the pineapple will reboot.

If you power cycled it then you most likely have a brick.

As far as I know the 30 / 30 / 30 will NOT work. I tried and it did nothing.

Best,

Sebkinne

ConorSullivan,

What firmware version was it? Can you say what happened exactly?

So you downloaded the upgrade.bin went to the upgrade.php page and then..?

You said you got the error page. Great. What did you do then? Reboot the device? Or did you wait?

If you are really lucky parts of 1.0.1 carried over.

Maybe you can then use the reset button.

Actually, when you power on the device, what is the led activity?

Best,

Sebkinne

1.01. and i downloaded the upgrade.bin file, went to upgrade.php, selected the file and hit upgrade. the page proceeded to refresh followed my and error page with read "connection error". after that i was no longer able to access the pineapple's UI. Then i unpluged, and replugged the pineapple's power cord. some of the LEDs binked and then only the power LED stayed on. from there i looked up how to flash it, downloaded the Freifunk Ap51 EasyFlash and all the other files that it came with. from there i followed all the directions and thats when i kept getting the error described at the top. Now idk what to do, or where to go.

1.01. and i downloaded the upgrade.bin file, went to upgrade.php, selected the file and hit upgrade. the page proceeded to refresh followed my and error page with read "connection error". after that i was no longer able to access the pineapple's UI. Then i unpluged, and replugged the pineapple's power cord. some of the LEDs binked and then only the power LED stayed on. from there i looked up how to flash it, downloaded the Freifunk Ap51 EasyFlash and all the other files that it came with. from there i followed all the directions and thats when i kept getting the error described at the top. Now idk what to do, or where to go.

**uh-oh** :(

I have a feeling that the underlined events happened very close to each other, and that you now have a brick.

I'm sure Darren and seb will weigh in, but powering down before it's done updating (a few minutes of "unpingable" interface anyhow) will almost certainly brick the device.

BroTip: When I do my updates (and this may be a good process to include in the updating docs), I *always* open a console window (command prompt) and run a constant ping against the pineapple so I can see when it goes down, and when it comes back up. In Windows, run: ping 172.16.42.1 /t

Sorry. :(

There are two warnings on the upgrade page, one saying that there will be an error. That it is expected. That you should wait. It says so too in my release post.

You have a brick, sorry. Contact the hakshop or flash over serial. Flashing over serial is dangerous though.

Also, when you looked up how to flash the pineapple, you found MK3 guides. You have an MK4. They are NOT compatible.

Again, there is an upgrade / flashing guide as a sticky in this forum.

I'm sorry that you are experiencing problems, as I said, please contact the hakshop and see what can be done.

Best,

Sebkinne