Hacker Backpack

melodic

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Urban exploration" LOL more liek a fancy Politically correct naem for tresspassing, naw its cool though

I dont ahve a hacker bag but once i get it (ill use my old messengerbag)

Laptop (buyign soon)

Notepad

duck tape

pens/pencils

shurikun(s) (i forgot what plural was)

cat5 cable

linux live CD's

1-4GB flash drives w/essential proggys and data(checkout that really slim 1 GB at thinkgeek and //the 4.0 there too)

thermite (making soon)

lockpick set(convincing parents to buy)

Nintendo DS

lightweight PC games (old school UT, possibly CS if my comp is good enough)

probably a change of clothes (my ninjutsu uniform)

shuriken (or uns i forgot how to spell) are for self defence thermite for quick destruction if needed, lockpick because i need to(i actually do know how to pick locks, i jsut need a set)

Well I don't have any set "hacker" bag, casually walking around I'll only be carrying my USB Flash Drive and a few blank cds. If I'm going to do something specific then I'll pack my bag accordingly, I guess unlike some people here I don't expect to encounter hackerish challenges too often when I'm walking down the street.

A question for Metatron and well everyone else with a similarly large kit of stuff. Have you ever been searched/questioned about all this stuff by police, store security, airport customs etc? To the average joe it must look kind of suspicious.

Well I don't have any set "hacker" bag, casually walking around I'll only be carrying my USB Flash Drive and a few blank cds. If I'm going to do something specific then I'll pack my bag accordingly, I guess unlike some people here I don't expect to encounter hackerish challenges too often when I'm walking down the street.

A question for Metatron and well everyone else with a similarly large kit of stuff. Have you ever been searched/questioned about all this stuff by police, store security, airport customs etc? To the average joe it must look kind of suspicious.

I’ve been searched by airport security loads of times and I don’t pack knifes, I have had no issues, as I just say I install satellite communications equipment for a living. Other then that the excuse works any time you get searched.

Backpack: North Face, recon model (kinda ironic)

HP laptop with extra battery and charger.

headphones

Cat6 cable

live cds (std, nubuntu, etc) and a few blank cds + dvds

1 gb flash drive

One 7dbi omni and one directional antenna (small coffee-can mod - too cheap for anything else but it works well in surburban settings)

Orinico gold wifi card

Screwdrivers, wire cutters and splicers

Alligator clips, bits of wire

small analog phone

digital camera

notebook with a few pens

10 ft power cord with 4 port outlit adapter

d-link wifi router

small maglight

2.5 inch spring-powered switchblade

*There's more but I can't think of it now and I left the bag in my car, which is where I do most of my wardriving/night excursions looking for trouble

I know this was directed at metatron but,

Have you ever been searched/questioned about all this stuff by police, store security, airport customs etc? To the average joe it must look kind of suspicious.

I've been stopped by police before, once around downtown and once in my neighborhood, (probably because it's 3ish in the morning and they see a teenager walking the streets, stopping at random locations and carrying a laptop) but they've never gotten the chance to search my backpack because I've simply refused to allow them to and both times they just got annoyed with me and told me to not cause any trouble. The police force of my home town is about 5 cops with better things to do than get a warrant for some kid's backpack.

I’ve been told I’m a scary guy, after people meet me or see my photos.

I've seen a few of yours in the photos section but any others hiding on a server that we may be interested in seeing?

And as for being scary, I can only imagine a nontechnodork friend of yours dropping by, only to be met by numerous ip cameras, rfid door-locks and half a garage worth of server racks (to name a few things) and seeing their reaction. Any of us however, would probably drop-jaw and start drooling. I know I would anyway.

Off the top of my head, think i have:

Laptop,

Laptop backup battery (also poweres AP)

Linksys wrt54g wifi router

Pens paper

leatherman

screwdrivers

Two usb NIC's

Few cat5e cables

Crossover Jack

Battery powered HUB

Cat5's with croc clips on the end (Think of these... and a hub... and a cat5 cable running along a corridoor... suddenly you see :).. (*oh and some snips*)

Snips.. < see ;P

Gaffa tape

PVC Tape

PCMCIA Wifi card

+9db antanna for wifi card

case of Cd's

lockpick kit

LED torch

multimeter

USB Pendisk

sweedish firesteel! < That stuff rocks!

Body Spray (Cant have a smelly techie can we lol)

aand i think thats it :P

• 3 weeks later...

Laptop

cantenna

Gerber

25ft cat5 ethernetcable

powerstrip w/ surge protecter

512mb thumbdrive

headphones

USB cable

notebook and pen

electrical tape

duct tape

sunglasses

and for urban exploration i add these

Surefire

6 extra lithium batteries for surefire

p31 ultrabright head for surefire(250 lumens)

550 cord

kevlar gloves (protect my hands from sharp crap)

100ft nylon braid rope

carabiners

d-clips

powerkey set

KaBar

ok i have read all your 'backpacks' and i was wondering what to you need a backpack for and all the stuff you carry around with you please tell me ( im i missing somthing ? )

1)why (why do you carry all this stuff )

2)when (do you use all this stuff)

3)what (what do you do with all this stuff )

4)where (where you go aswell :s )

( dont flame as im just asking so no need go crazy at me :P )

ok i have read all your 'backpacks' and i was wondering what to you need a backpack for and all the stuff you carry around with you please tell me ( im i missing somthing ? )

1)why (why do you carry all this stuff )

2)when (do you use all this stuff)

3)what (what do you do with all this stuff )

4)where (where you go aswell :s )

( dont flame as im just asking so no need go crazy at me :P )

War Driving

ThinkPadReliawaveâ„¢ 802.11b 370mW High Power Wireless Card

SRC Cardbus 802.11a/b/g 300mW High Power Atheros Wireless card

Optional 2dBi Whip Antenna

2.4GHz 7dBi Omni / Vertical with 6' cable, RPMMCX and Mag Mount

33-dBi MAXRAD XtremeWave Parabolic Dish Antennas with custom mount and tripod

Four ThinkPad high capacity batteries

GPS unit

Comes in useful at hacker meetings and Cons.

ANT16 USB Logic Analyzer

DS1M12 Stingray USB Oscilloscope / Data Logger / Meter / Spectrum Analyzer

Using a public computer

4GB flash drive

Customized Live disk

USB WIFI Adapter

A length of Ethernet cable

Phreaking

Sometimes you’re just walking or driving along and you feel the need to playing around with a Cab box.

Head Torch

AT8K AdapToner Modular Breakout Tone Generator

Cable ties and self-adhesive anchor points

Locking Nut Wrench

Can wrench

Note book/ Pen

Multi head screwdriver/ socket set

Marker pen

Butt set

Dual Purpose Crimping Tool

Hex key set

Fluke 867B Multimeter

Olympus VN-480PC + small external Microphone

Wire stripper, pliers, wire cutters, jacket remover

Electrical tape

Small adjustable spanner

Nylon terminal blocks

Say you’re doing bit of war driving and you come across a derelict office building/ block of flats (there are lots of them around) and you decide to have a look around, you will need:

Pick set - To get in the front door, so to not leave any signs you have been there, it also comes in useful for any doors/ cabinets/dumpsters.

Radio Scanner - Useful anytime you’re somewhere you shouldn’t be.

Portable Radio Jammer - If there is security and you don’t want them radioing for help while you’re running away.

Suunto Advisor – If you want to know what the time is or how high you are.

Flashbangs - If security is catching up to you or there is more then one of them.

Small Maglite –It may be dark.

Cobalt knife – Cutting things.

Small knife – You should always carry one.

Multi tool – You should always carry one.

9V, AA, AAA batteries – If you need replacements.

Digital Camera – For taking photos of anything interesting you find.

Mobile phone – Self explanatory.

If you need to climb up or down something and if you are working on roofs.

70M Beal 9.1mm Joker Standard Rope

Black Diamond Chaos Harness

Carabiners

Petzl Ascender

Wild Country Technical Friends

Petzl Stop

Carrying everything/ not leaving finger prints or your face on CCTV.

Dakine Apex Backpack

Balaclava

Tactical gloves

New York SWAT vest

I use a backpack, cause i'd look like an idiot carrying everthing around in my arms and pockets.

1) I carry my computer around cause i like to warwalk on occasion. I have an ethernet cable with me incase i stumble across an ethernet port/hub. the cantenna is for better wifi reception. i always have a gerber on me. the powerstrip is so i can plug my shit into it, while in my backpack, and charge my battery while standing nonchalant next to an outlet. I don't know why i have a thumbdrive, i never use it. I guess it looks cool. headphone to reduce noise. The duct/electrical tape is for a fetish :shock: :wink: .

The urban exploration shit should be self explanitory.

2)I use it when i go warwalking/urban exploring.

3)already explained that

4)All over campus, town, and any building/cave/tunnel that's abondoned

wow, that was a pretty good explanation!!

Ill remember that, but where the heck do you come by flashbangs?

http://www.airsoftscotland.com/acatalog/Fashbangs.html

(Flashbangs are legal in the UK)

If you are just going dumpster diving you only really need to take:

Pick Set (all the good stuff is always locked)

Radio Scanner with ear piece (Keep track of Security)

Small Maglite with a filter (You should always work at night)

Watch (you can time the security patrols to know when you can move)

AA batteries (for the Maglite)

Multi Tool (sometimes you only want the harddrive’s)

Two Flashbangs (help in get always)

Tactical gloves (No finger prints)

Hat (To hide your face.)

I dont own a laptop..... yet, but i carry around a usb key (1 gig) full of portable apps (cain, wireshark, nemesis, ngrep, tcpdump, nmap, and showtraf, and a batch script for getting to the cmd prompt :) Plus a netweork toolkit that sucks

wow, that was a pretty good explanation!!

Ill remember that, but where the heck do you come by flashbangs?

http://www.airsoftscotland.com/acatalog/Fashbangs.html

(Flashbangs are legal in the UK)

Wow, check out the description of the Stun grenade from that link.

Ref: 518 The best pyro we have offered so far! These babies contain a 6-10sec smoke grenade which upon ignition release a good deal of very fast output white smoke. Just as the 'enemy' think they are safe because you have chucked a smoke grenade at them, the stun content releases a salvo of flash-bangs equivalent to 4xMk5 thunderflashes. Each thunderflash detonates approx half a second apart which is an underpants-filling drumroll!

So, you throw the grenade, the enemy smirks as they prepare to shoot you through the smoke screen you have laid down, then Bang!-Bang!-Bang!-Bang! you smirk back at them with a wink as their brown 'adrenaline' runs down the side of their combat boots with your BB's floating on the top.

Oh yes! :D

That is awesome!

And only cost 5pds. :)

Are radio jammers legal in the UK. (seems like anythings possible)

No, but you can order them from Saudi Arabian and Chinese companies and they will happily ship one to you. 95% of people will have no idea what is, so you should be ok if you buy one.

How about if you can't take your full backpack? This little device seems like an ideal hacker's "Swiss knife": Zipit. Would be cool to run a sniffer on this, and be warwalking/wardriving with a handheld for under $99. Anybody got experience with the Zipit, or suggestions for a better handheld?

It might've been cool if it came with a PCMCIA slot so you could expand it a bit.

Hey, a fellow Dutch Hak.5 fan! :)

There is a hack for it where you can hook it up to your PC via RS232 (if WiFi fails for some reason), and a memory expansion through a miniSD card socket. Basically that gives you a cheap, Linux running portable WiFi device.

I can't really decide though if I just shouldn't put in some extra money and go for a PDA that would be better for warwalking.

Ooh wow. I thought I was the only Dutchy here. Where you at?

As for this device, the problem is that WiFi's the big thing now, but that's sure to change in a bit (or the version used by this thing will become outdated or something). With a PCMCIA slot you can do practically anything.

I've got a HP Jornada 680. It runs Linux... kinda... sorta... not really.

I tried to compile my own kernel for it, but can't find a sane config that should make things work. So I'm stuck with someone else's old-ass featureless and rather buggy kernel. End result: I use it to play solitaire when I'm on the toilet. Got it cheap over eBay, so not too bothered by that.

It's got a PCMCIA slot, but a 100 MBit network adapter I still had lying around didn't work in it. A coworker of mine had a 10 MBit one which worked fine. This was under WinCE though, so it might just be a driver support thing.

I'm still looking for a decent Linux handheld device, but it _has_ to come with something resembling a _usable_ keyboard, as well as offer some expandability.