Hacker Backpack

melodic

I'm from Weert, in the south of the Netherlands. My buddy and me are probably the only ones doing some wardriving here, totally inspired by Hak.5 ;)

I agree that a handheld like the Zipit would become absolute in a few short years, but on the other hand - it's a hackable toy for less than $99. The other option I'm considering right now is the Sharp Zaurus 5500 which looks like a neat, compact hacking "swiss knife" but it's $250 to $300, depending where you buy it.

And ofcouse both these things aren't for sale in Europe :(

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm from Weert, in the south of the Netherlands. My buddy and me are probably the only ones doing some wardriving here, totally inspired by Hak.5 ;)

I agree that a handheld like the Zipit would become absolute in a few short years, but on the other hand - it's a hackable toy for less than $99. The other option I'm considering right now is the Sharp Zaurus 5500 which looks like a neat, compact hacking "swiss knife" but it's $250 to $300, depending where you buy it.

And ofcouse both these things aren't for sale in Europe :(

I have a Zaurus SL-C1000 I bought in Japan when I was on holiday, I think it worked out to be about £140.

Someone outbid me on a Zaurus SL-5500G over on eBay, so no user experience on that front from me.

(If 'dietern1025' is you, you maybe should've sent me a heads-up and saved yourself another 40 euros :P)

War driving hmm...i dont think anyone does it where i live ( or knows what it is 'that i no of')Anyways sounds like fun, how much do you think a BASIC war driving kit will be and if you really nice tell me where i can get it from aswell ( uk ) Also i know what it is but is there any sites related to it so i can see how it all works as i have a faint idea but i would like to see how to do it,what to do blah blah blah

All it takes is a computer (in the broadest sense of the word) with WiFi capabilities.

That can be anything from a laptop with a wireless card to a Mini-ITX run off the car battery using a special power adapter and a PCI wireless adapter, to a handheld with a Compact Flash wireless adapter.

The handhelds are a bit tricky though, because you need to install specific apps on them, and WinCE isn't typically a target these programs get built for.

What would you recomend for a PDA which isnt to much but is still good ?

Well, that Zaurus was pretty spiffy, and at 150 euros would've been a pretty nice deal, but alas, no dice.

Perhaps that Zipit thing is worth the 100 bucks, but it would be pretty much purpose-built for this use.

I still think an iPaq is a decent device for this sort of thing, but I think they're a bit too expensive for what you're getting.

I'm hoping Metatron will pitch in with some suggestions here as he seems to be the more knowledgable one on this topic.

War driving hmm...i dont think anyone does it where i live ( or knows what it is 'that i no of')Anyways sounds like fun, how much do you think a BASIC war driving kit will be and if you really nice tell me where i can get it from aswell ( uk ) Also i know what it is but is there any sites related to it so i can see how it all works as i have a faint idea but i would like to see how to do it,what to do blah blah blah

If you go down to your nearest business estate and have a look in the skips you have a good chance of finding old laptops or if you go through things like the Friday-ad you can pick up a P2 366MHz or 400MHz Laptop for £20 to £40 which is more then able to run NetBSD or Debian with Flux box and all the tools you could need. The next thing you need to do is buy a Orinoco classic gold card from eBay, which you can get for £20 and that’s all you need for war driving.

I just bought my little brother a HP IPAQ RX1955 as a going back to university gift, which you can pick up for £130 and a 4GB SD card is around £50.

You can get Debian to run on it with a little work but it’s still good with out it.

Well, that Zaurus was pretty spiffy, and at 150 euros would've been a pretty nice deal, but alas, no dice.

Perhaps that Zipit thing is worth the 100 bucks, but it would be pretty much purpose-built for this use.

I still think an iPaq is a decent device for this sort of thing, but I think they're a bit too expensive for what you're getting.

I'm hoping Metatron will pitch in with some suggestions here as he seems to be the more knowledgable one on this topic.

I got my Zaurus from a diffent site, so it wasn't me! I got mine for 100 euro's, that's about 130 US$ I suppose. I won a Zipit offa ebay for $60, so I'm gonna experiment with both soon.

But on the question of which PDA to reccomend: that Zaurus thing seems to be the best choice, since you get a color screen, fairly modern PDA with all the functionality you'd expect, plus you can just run Linux on it like that. There's lots of security tools ported for it already so it can be turned into a packet sniffing, warwalking little box of fun in a short time.

But the Zipit is definately your cheapest choice, and requires some cool hacking to pimp it with extra memory and stuff, and comes standard with good Wifi reception.

I just sorta accidently bought a Zipit *and* a Zaurus 5500 so I hope to share my experiences soon :D

Im also considering buying one but i was wondering does it come with WiFi card and a modem if not what WiFi card would be good for a Zaurus 5500 ? And also i was thinking as they dont have much memory on them and i know you can buy CompactFlash but do you think there is a way of getting a converter from CompactFlash type II slot to usb or somthing for a external 2.5 inch HDD ? :S

I paid £120 ($200 ish) for my urban assault vest...and it's kit that I was supposed to be issued with, the British Army are absolutely terrible for that sort of thing. However, I can imagine that you'd be paying about $40 for a SWAT vest...and it's quite useful for holding stuff. The price of the gear in total I wouldn't want to dare guess, however if you're really into computers and it's the only thing you do, you don't tend to notice the money getting spent.

I paid £120 ($200 ish) for my urban assault vest...and it's kit that I was supposed to be issued with, the British Army are absolutely terrible for that sort of thing. However, I can imagine that you'd be paying about $40 for a SWAT vest...and it's quite useful for holding stuff. The price of the gear in total I wouldn't want to dare guess, however if you're really into computers and it's the only thing you do, you don't tend to notice the money getting spent.

I paid a little over $80 for the SWAT vest from a gun shop in New York.

Metatron it scares me to think that a everyday hacker would need such a pack. You sure you don't maybe infiltrate small banks and borrow money or anything like that. :) Just wondering whats the value of your little pack there. 8)

I think it would cost around £3500 to £4000 if someone wanted to put that kit together, but I built it up over time and upgrade when something better comes out.

• 3 weeks later...

Dakine Heli-Pro Backpack

Samsung Q35 (Running Gentoo)

2 X 6 Cell batteries

Reliawave 802.11b 370mW Wireless Card

2 Pigtails

HyperAmp 2.4 GHz 802.11b 3Watt Amplifier

HyperGain 15dBi Omnidirectional Antenna

24 dBi Cast Reflector Grid Antenna

Earthmate GPS LT-20

APC Travel Power Adapter

Cat6 cable

JackKnife Pocket Lock Pick Set

2GB Flash Drive

Leatherman Charge Ti Multi-tool

Kensington WiFi Finder

Small Maglite

Cheap radio scanner and earpiece

AA, AAA batteries

Slax live disc (made with MySLAX Creator and MySLAX Modulator)

Pen

Note Book

Mobile phone

Here goes.....

My Hackers Pack:

x86 Live CDs (SLAX, Windows XP, Ubuntu) 2 Ubuntu Discs (x86 and PPC)

3 50ft Ethernet Cables

5 Port Router

USB Hard Drive

PowerBook

U3 "Switchblade" with my own payload (in pocket)

2 Micro Wireless Webcams

Soldering Iron (and Solder)

Lotsa Batteries

Tape (Scotch and Double Sided)

About 10 CDs of files

7 Homemade Smoke Grenades

Microphone & Headphones

Wifi Dongle

PSOne Screen

CPU Fan

USB CD Burner

Homemade Radio Jammer

Laser Pointer

Wireless Mouse & Keyboard

+ Misc Wires.

The radio jammer and smoke grenades are more for fun then hacking.

• 2 weeks later...

gp2x ....google it...pretty awesome.....with expandability/hackability....just google gp2x hacks for some sweet stuff....

my kit (only just setting up stuff):

dell 110L laptop with nUbuntu (and windows but only use it for mp3 djing + college)

usb sticks etc.

CDs etc.

Tools etc.

dont really need anything else right now...but want a rugged laptop...

maybe soon *dreams*

At the moment:

Dakine Apex Backpack

GPS unit (USB)

Multi tool

4GB flash drive

Olympus VN-480PC

ANT16 USB Logic Analyzer

DS1M12 Stingray USB Oscilloscope / Data Logger / Meter / Spectrum Analyzer

ThinkPad

Two ThinkPad high capacity batteries

Length of CAT6

Customized Live disk

HP iPAQ (running Debian)

Its not a backpack is my laptop bag.

1. Laptop.

2. Laptop Cables

3. USB Stick

4. Phlack

5. LFS -> Because im an elitest bastard who likes doing things from scratch.

6. FreeBSD

7. Knoppix

8. DVD of hak.5 episodes ;)

9. Cell Phone

10. Linux Magazines

11. Lots of other secret hacking things.

1. 12" mac powerbook

2. linksys (prism 2 chipset) wifi dongle (WAN hacking)

3. Varios linux distros

4. Kismac

5. S.OG> Multi-tool

6. 100' spool of wire

7. varoius cables

8. VArious I. D. 's for social engeneering (I live in a huge college area, having ID saying i am a technition are great.......people will let you do anything.)

9. 100 gb external

10. usb drives (no switch blade yet)

11. encrypted cd of psswds and usrnames on local systems

12. My personal 128 bit encryption program

...otehr stuff but im done listing crap i have class soon.

my pack :

laptop w/ built in wireless

cat5 cable

phone cable

multitool

pda w/ wifi & bluetooth

a couple flash drives

80 gig external (fits in pocket)

some live linux cd

a few custom password crack cd's

and whatever else i feel like at the moment of stepping out the door