What Tech. Have You Bought Recently ?

Trip

I recently bought this £23:

NW-000-TP_400.jpg

and £18:

tp-link-wireless-802_11n-300mbps-pci-ada

i had a netgear ruckus router before and tbh i was pretty happy with it but it wouldnt allow me to connect more than one pc on steam @ a time on my lan so it had to go

and note for the wise ... all the tplink cards i've bought all run the atheros chipset ;)

and the tp-wn851n has exceptional range im yet to try this with airsnort etc but will let u know how it goes as and when

also recently bought:

120gb sata for my home network (£20)

p4 2.8ghz, intel mb and 2 x 512 ddr2 (£30)

and a samsung sync master 152v 15" lcd monitor (£25)

woot goodies :)

Edited by Trip

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently bought the following:

• Asus p7p55-lx LGA1156 mobo with crossfire support
  • Intel core i7-875k unlocked processor
  • 2x2GB ddr3 1333 memory (will be upgrading to 12GB when I get the money)
  • Corsair 750W power supply
  • Corsair H50 water-cooling kit
  • And this is next on the list for my computer:
  • 2x ATI Radeon HD 5870
  • Various blue cold cathodes/LEDs
  • Acrylic glue(for the case I am building)
  • M3x10mm screws
  • half inch standoffs.

This is what I bought for clients, so I dont know if it counts.

• Belkin expresscard wireless n adapter
  • WD 750gb 2.5" laptop hard drive
  • left and right clutch hinge for a the 17" macbook pro (older non-unibody model)

i just got my arduino kit in the mail today. im super excited. i just did circuit 01. the blinking light. woot! ill be programming killer robots in no time!

thankfully they have the arduino software for linux. cant wait to get some lcd screens to play with. maybe the ethernet shield.

Edited by okiwan

i just got my arduino kit in the mail today. im super excited. i just did circuit 01. the blinking light. woot! ill be programming killer robots in no time!

I remember making a knight rider scanner with a few leds :D

Still have the code somewhere I think..

Back on topic, I bought this for £19 yesterday:

2yza5n5.jpg

Athlon XP 2000+

512 DDR

40GB Hard Disk

On-board Graphics

I've reinstalled XP on it (it has a legit oem coa) and have set it up with synergy+

Not sure what I could use it for though..

Edited by xtr3m3

Perhaps you guys can help, I've been looking to buy a NAS for use at home. I am going to China on business for around a month and wanted access to (mainly) my music.

I keep flip flopping over what NAS to get, I didn't really want to spend £300 or £400, but then I started thinking iSCSI would be cool and I could start messing around with VM's in XenCenter, but then again its £400.

I came across the NETGEAR® STORA http://www.netgear.co.uk/ms2110.php which I can buy and get 2 x 1TB disks for around the £150 mark. The Netgear is your basic NAS and the 2 disks can only be configured in RAID 1, but it does come with a service for accessing your media remotely which I figured was pretty cool and did the job.

Just wondering if anyone else had any thoughts or insight.

In the £300-£400 range, you can get more bank for your buck with an Atom based system which will do more. However, its not going to be as small, will use more power and will take more effort to setup. The Stora looks OK for the money however.

Perhaps you guys can help, I've been looking to buy a NAS for use at home. I am going to China on business for around a month and wanted access to (mainly) my music.

OMG you are going China, make sure those bastards are not blocking you access to your files too.

Anyway, I found something that may be interesting for you

http://www.amazon.co.uk/b?ie=UTF8&node=430553031

I bought a NAS a few months ago, one of the best purchases I've made in a long time. The NAs I went with was pretty cheap, the web interface is pretty much shit, but it holds my files just fine. Got 2 1 TB HD's raid 0'd, setup subsonic on one of the computers on the network to stream music, but realized I didn't use it too much. The you could also setup an FTP on the NAS as well, thought I haven't tried since I wouldn't use it. Are you wanting to stream music, or just download some of it from your home network once you get there? Is an external HD an option?

NAS :: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822219003

revision3.com/tekzilla

think they reviewed them last week :D

Hummm... I've taken a look at the last 4 episodes or so and I can't find any NAS reviews, the only thing close to a NAS review is the stuff about 'Drobo FS' which looks more a full of a fully functional NAS and blows my budget.

OMG you are going China, make sure those bastards are not blocking you access to your files too.

Anyway, I found something that may be interesting for you

http://www.amazon.co.uk/b?ie=UTF8&node=430553031

Yes, the company I work for has a production plant in China and we are going out there to upgrade the wireless network, implement handheld barcode scanners, implement bar-coding / warehouse management, and also upgrade their current server (Dell PowerEdge 4600) to a HP Blades, so we're gunning for a 3-4 week project, very aggressive timeline given that the Chinese don't like working past 5PM and don't work weekends... then throw in the spyware and virus riddled systems that will need to be worked on

That link is just to 'Amazon' products?

I bought a NAS a few months ago, one of the best purchases I've made in a long time. The NAs I went with was pretty cheap, the web interface is pretty much shit, but it holds my files just fine. Got 2 1 TB HD's raid 0'd, setup subsonic on one of the computers on the network to stream music, but realized I didn't use it too much. The you could also setup an FTP on the NAS as well, thought I haven't tried since I wouldn't use it. Are you wanting to stream music, or just download some of it from your home network once you get there? Is an external HD an option?

NAS :: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822219003

That NAS looks ok, it'll probably cost more than the Netgear Stora I was originally looking at, plus I’d have to hook it up to a system that’s running. Ideally I’m looking for something that doesn’t pull a whole lot of juice, our electric bill is insane!

One Idea I’m toying with is adding an extra disc to my Citrix XenServer and then creating a dedicated Xen Server to hosting / streaming / storing my media, does anyone have any suggestions for what NAS software to use?

However, with the Netgear Stora I could plug it into my office network here, given the time difference (plus the load balanced DSL we have) I’d probably get a better connection (at least while in China)

I keep flip flopping on what solution to go for :P

1zh1son.jpg

ms sidewinder x8 mouse ? ... £25 (was a little expensive but i've wanted one for ages)

334q3ax.jpg

snatch drive :) ... probably going to buy a few more of these (£7.50)

& 650w power supply but u dont need to see that lol

ill have a look for that NAS episode for you dude ... im sure they did one ;)

Edited by Trip

That link is just to 'Amazon' products?

Yes, that link is just to 'Amazon' but have you checked the products on that the link, it my have something that appeals to you.

thanks. its cheap small an effective. an i love the nano receiver cause instead of a regular usb receiver i can leave this one plug in all the time and i dont have to worry about it sticking out. its got a nice feel to it as well. its also my first wireless mouse. my desktop has had two real nice razer mouses but both were wired.