Jump to content

Noob Mistake - ZAaapp!


Corrosion.
 Share

Recommended Posts

I'm sure many of you remember in ep: 7 season 1 the cvs camera hack.

We'll I saw one at a local cvs and decided I do it for the hell of it.

It sat at the house for about two months and I saw it there begging to be hacked.

We'll I made a noob mistake!

I opened the camera while watching the segment and thought that I should discharge the capacitor but decided not to for some stupid reason. (and just so happened had the thing charged up)

I also happened to be sweating badly because I didn't have a fan in my room. Still I pressed forward, I looked up to see what wess was about to instruct to me and then...

ZAAAAPpppppp! - It's been a Long time :) the vein in my neck popped out and my arm was tense, I couldn't drop it at first, well I finally did and it continued to hurt for about 10 minutes...

What may seem a little off is I think I liked it, I mean I haven't been shocked doing a project in along time... (although I don't think I'll enjoy my first solder burn) we'll anyway thats it, just figured I'd share my pain lol...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

dude... go to the hospital

I didn't get shocked bad enough to goto the hospital, I mean I've been shocked by a nail in my houses wiring.

I'll be just fine.... (this time lol) I seriously should have discharged that thing though. If I skip something like that with higher voltages I'll be in big trouble......

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Why? They have better equipment to shock him with? This isn't Canada... (grin).

He'll only do it again anyway. Either that or let the magic smoke out of the camera guts and then all he'll have is the cap to remind him. and the burn marks.

I'll discharge the thing next time, although I'll be honest and say it probably will happen again. of course then its like a cop telling you they'll never be shot again.... (it can happen, even if your careful)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I didn't get shocked bad enough to goto the hospital, I mean I've been shocked by a nail in my houses wiring.

I'll be just fine.... (this time lol) I seriously should have discharged that thing though. If I skip something like that with higher voltages I'll be in big trouble......

Volts dont kill you, amps do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

dude... go to the hospital

It's DC voltage not AC it doesn't affect the system in the same way. It will causes the muscles to contract but unless it's across the heart there's little chance of any extended damage. Then again I had 400 VDC burn a hole in thumb once.

The amperage through your finger shouldn't be enough to kill you, just hurts a bit. It's a localized shock, so it not likely to travel across the heart and cause fibrillation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

funny I did'nt think about this before!

Some food for thought here: 'Thomas Edison invented the Electric Chair'

as per the Thomas Edison wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Edison)

In 1887 there were 121 Edison power stations in the United States delivering DC electricity to customers. When the limitations of Direct Current (DC) were discussed by the public, Edison launched a propaganda campaign to convince people that Alternating Current (AC) was far too dangerous to use. The problem with DC was that the power plants could only economically deliver DC electricity to customers about one and a half miles (about 2.4 km.) from the generating station, so it was only suitable for central business districts. When George Westinghouse suggested using high-voltage AC instead, as it could carry electricity hundreds of miles with marginal loss of power, Edison waged a "War of Currents" to prevent AC from being adopted.

Despite Edison's contempt for capital punishment, the war against AC led him to become involved in the development and promotion of the electric chair as a demonstration of AC's greater lethal potential versus the "safer" DC. Edison went on to carry out a brief but intense campaign to ban the use of AC or to limit the allowable voltage for safety purposes. As part of this campaign, Edison's employees publicly electrocuted animals to demonstrate the dangers of AC;[30][31] AC electric currents, particularly near 60 Hz frequency, have a markedly greater potential for inducing fatal “Cardiac Fibrillation” than do DC currents.[32] On one of the more notable occasions, in 1903, Edison's workers electrocuted Topsy the elephant at Luna Park, near Coney Island, after she had killed several men and her owners wanted her put to death.[33] His company filmed the electrocution.

Put that in your capacitor and smoke it!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Man, I've been shocked more times than I can count, capacitors, ignition systems, power supplies, utility power. The worst one I ever got was when I was changing out an electric water heater (220V) and failed to verify the power had been shut down. I flipped the breaker and was sure it was the correct one, but it wasn't. Fortunately, the current path went only through my hand. If it had gone accross my heart, it probably would have been very bad if not fatal. That shock was so intense, it felt like someone hit me upside the head with a baseball bat. It was really scary and taught me a lesson. I was lucky I didn't suffer any real injury. My hand hurt for a few days and that was about it.

I'm always real careful with utility power, but don't get too concerned otherwise. Unless I'm dealing with a pretty large, highly charged capacitor, the amount of current that's going to flow through me is not enough to cause any real damage. The only comsumer electronics capacitors I know I need to be real mindful of are the ones used on CRT's. They're pretty big and charged to around 20KV.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...