1. 1. Which should i use?

• UBUNTU SERVER
    • CENTOS
    • RED HAT
    • MS Server 08
    • MS xp home
    • OTHER
    • GIVE IT TO ME!!!!

NO, this is not about bragging rights, this is me being REALLY REALLY happy....

so, I got my package in today, and im sorry heckscrew and shonen, but its BEAUTIFUL!

http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a22/Demonwithin01/comp/

my e-penis is <---------------------------3 this big now

gotta go to work, but ima hook it up asap when i get home....

If I am right thinking that this is a server of some type, have you considered ESXi? If everything is compatible this will allow you to have Server 2008 and Cent on this box, thus negating the need to choose. I really like Server 2008 myself, along with FreeBSD.

As for getting server 2008 legally and cheaply, get Microsoft Technet. Its near as damnit legal piracy and for the stiicker price of Vista Ultimate you get tons of stuff including most of MS's current OS's, both server and client. Very much worth the cash.

Ultimately it depends on what you want to do with it, and the spec which you haven't posted.

edit: Definately go with ESXi for this, a hypervisor will allow you to do so much more with this.

At first I had no bloody clue what it was, images are like drunkard vision on a late saturday night. XD

Looks pretty sweet and I would be pretty pleased with myself too, you decided on what NOS you are stuffing in the sucker?

For the record thats a small e-penis , it should be bigger with toys like that. XD hopefully when my near gear starts to roll in I will be topping you, so live large...... for now!

Doing polls in this area on this site is a bad idea as people on here largly don't have a clue what makes a good server, but there are a few. Anyway stay clear of Ubuntu as some sripts run oddly, well its what I've noticed and its really not a good server OS, really more of a desktop OS (yes even the server vertion).

CentOS is basiclay Red Hat and is one the most useful things you could ever learn for working in networking past a level if thats what you want to do, plus its not bad. Windows server 2008 is also useful as learning how to manage things like exchange and active directory are really usful.

I'd go with OpenBSD but, you would be better off with CentOS and just running a WM on it for Server 03 or 08.

gg man, that's an awesome peice of hardware (where are the exact specs?!)

My vote is actually for Linux Mint. Just how I roll, but Cent OS would be great too.

Also what exactly are you going to do with it, or better yet, how many clients do you expect to serve with it?

If your only serving a few or something, I would go with a more visual style of server/software and then slo-ly graduate to the daemons and scripts. just my 2 cents

well, its only has 18.2GB hdds , so after install first thing is get a couple more and up it. then, probably storage, VMserver, and just a test machine for hacking into and such.... but mainly backup storage. if i come across any ideas ill keep goign with them... also this gives reason to build a rack. but man this thing is HEAVY..

also shonen, sorry about the pics, its was a crap-tacular camera phone, in a hurry

What are you going to use it for? ... edit I just read your last post. If your simply using it for a file server you might want to consider windows home server. It will allow you to do a "non-raid" array that is very slick. You can have as many hdd's as you want, all different types and sizes, working together to create one large volume.

What are you going to use it for? ... edit I just read your last post. If your simply using it for a file server you might want to consider windows home server. It will allow you to do a "non-raid" array that is very slick. You can have as many hdd's as you want, all different types and sizes, working together to create one large volume.

Or alternatively you could keep both your sanity and money in your wallet and use Open Solaris with ZFS.

also shonen, sorry about the pics, its was a crap-tacular camera phone, in a hurry

Ah so you where THAT excited, not that I blame you.

If its just going to be a test box, I agree with a few of the others and would run win server 2003/08 with VMware or some shit on it. Bare in mind depending on the specs/rolls of your server and total number of clients it could chug a little.

Also if it is just going to be a test box and not placed live on your LAN I wouldn't bother purchasing a licesese..... That is unless you guys are aware of something I aint.

bahaha yeap some of the server shit is bloody heavy, do you have a rack cabinet?

ie my earlier post of "a hacking box" also, i DO have an old external HD i had, and its uses ANY ide...hmm i have a shit load of those too. even a 120...hmm install os onto 9.1gb hd(1) then use the rest for storage..

also shonen, its going on the network, so i need something free or cheap (YES, i know the linuxs' so ill look into BSD or ubuntu which i have on disc)

Ah fair enough then and in that case I would want a legit version, especially if you are going to access it via the outside world.

The inner tight ass in me loves the FREE aspect of the linux and BSD world however if you are a bit of a nix tard at times such as myself doing certin things on the platform can be a royal pain in the ass and waste a fair amount of time which is annoying when you are pressed for it/in a hurry. But hey the upside is you are learning something new which is worth major points.

catch 22 much.