2009 UK meet up?

metatron

June or July?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. June or July, which month to have it on?

• June
    • July

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

im definatly up for this im only 50 mins from london anyway so nice and easy. anyone struggling for accomodation i may be able to help out just PM me

Anyone got any RFID stuff they can bring for me to play with? It is a technology I'd like to explore but have nothing around me that uses RFID so can't really justify getting the kit just so I can read and write the dummy chips that come with the package.

i got two Phidgets RFID devices and a bag or two of tags. ill bring these along with me. and in return for showing me how to use my FON properly i could be willing to part with one of them :)

I'm happy to do knowledge trades.

Someone suggested using the Fon2 with an rfid reader which also acts as a virtual device so can play stuff that it has read. That would give a device that could capture a card then play it back when you need to use it. Apparently they are only about £20 so I'll look at getting one. Problem is that I still don't have any rfid things around to use it against once I've got it but at least I can do a proof of concept.

I'm happy to do knowledge trades.

Someone suggested using the Fon2 with an rfid reader which also acts as a virtual device so can play stuff that it has read. That would give a device that could capture a card then play it back when you need to use it. Apparently they are only about £20 so I'll look at getting one. Problem is that I still don't have any rfid things around to use it against once I've got it but at least I can do a proof of concept.

Oyster card is RFID and you can pick them up for free in london stations plus theres some documentation on hacking them out there already. and all tubes and most newsagents have validation points that you can test on. well as long as you dont tell them :)

The system Oyster card uses is more advanced than I'm going to get on a basic system. I don't know much about RFID but there are two types, one that just gives data on request, these are usually used for card entry systems and ones that do computations on the chip, this is what Oyster does.

Even though it would be nice, I'm not looking to build a Mifare cracking system into a Fon just yet!

fair one, well i have a collection of active and passive tags and cards plus two implant chips like the kind they use to tag pets. ill bring these along. or if you can make use of them sooner i can forward them on to you. i have no use for them at the moment. i bought them on a whim. (and cos they were cheap), played around with them, then retired them to my box of randomness

That is kind of why I haven't got into RFID, it would be a good toy for a weekend but would end up on the shelf.

It will be good to play with other peoples stuff in London though.

The way I understood it was that Oyster card is just authentication tags as well but I haven't read much in to it really. They are £3 deposit each, so not free, but you can get your money back if you hand it back in.

I'd really like to get this rolling again, now that dates have been confirmed for a while.

• 2 weeks later...

If i'm in London I will definitely make an appearance. I'm not really into sitting around 'hacking' and that but if you do visit a pub I will pop by for a beverage :)

Although I have no idea what any of you look like.

I'll be big headed here and use my celebrity status to mention that if you watch the Toorcon episode from last you'll see my interview so be able to recognise me when you come down.

PS, I don't want to trigger RSI so will only be doing a limited number of autographs so please, get in early if you want one :-)

Hello all,

Anyone going to the BenchTec, extreme overclocking and cooling event at Scan this Saturday?

I don't work for either of them, but like many I am sure :) i have been a long standing customer of scans.

Anyway BenchTec are going to demonstrate the basic overclocking with a hands on approach. And once the talk is over the fun begins showing you overclocking like you’re never seen it before – with LN2 (Liquid Nitrogen)!

For all the details have a look at the Scan website or take a look at this from the Bench Tec guys site

Oh and did I say they have free bees :D not too sure what they are going to be but still free is free! :)

Anyway I will be going so if anyone wants to meet-up then let me know.

Later's.

I've been planning to come since talks first arose, I just never come on the forums, more of an irc lad myself, but anyways, Moonlit and myself were looking at some Hostels in london, I'm sure if you ask him nicely enough, he can post the links to the ones he was looking at.

I've been planning to come since talks first arose, I just never come on the forums, more of an irc lad myself, but anyways, Moonlit and myself were looking at some Hostels in london, I'm sure if you ask him nicely enough, he can post the links to the ones he was looking at.

Cool

One small problem the Scan event is Bolton :D Anyway I will be there on Saturday (in a red animal testing top) so anyone who see's a guy in a red top with spec's please come over and say hi!!

I hope to see some of you their!

I'm fairly new to Hak5 but I'll come along.

Should I just add my name to the wiki page or what.

NB I probably won't need accomodation.

And how can you get the Fonera2 in the UK? I checked the fon store but they only seemed to stock the Fonera+.

Thanks

Hello all,

Just in case anyone was interested the BenchTec, extreme overclocking and cooling event at Scan was very Cool (pun intended :))

Not only did we get to see behind the scenes at Scan including where they build the 3XS systems, but also the where house (or at least more then you can normally see). The highlight was the 6.350Ghz on a L2N cooled Core 2 Duo, in fact they were only 50Hz away from matching the world record.

They had a load of video cameras so I am sure that the BenchTec guys will be posting the videos soon

I've posted this http://www.ukuug.org/events/opentech2009 in another thread but I thought i'd do it here too.

Open Tech 2009 is an informal, low cost, one-day conference on slightly different approaches to technology, democracy and community.

What's the day going to have?

# Bill Thompson on Two Cultures

# Ben Goldacre on Science and Communication

# Making your ideas actually happen

# Community and Democracy in (Hijacked) Space

# Your Electronic Rights

# Open Data in Theory & Practice

# Freedom of information Workshop

# Scraper teach-in

# "Effective Internet Campaigning"*

# plus whatever other offers we get as the schedule isn't yet full.

Anyone interested?