2009 UK meet up?

metatron

June or July?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. June or July, which month to have it on?

• June
    • July

I fancy defcon but it is a lot of cash to fly other there. Stay for only the weekend and price per day is huge, stay for a week and the cost of living goes up.

I'll probably do Toorcon again this year, see if we can make good on the proposed trip across the border to Mexico.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fancy defcon but it is a lot of cash to fly other there. Stay for only the weekend and price per day is huge, stay for a week and the cost of living goes up.

I'll probably do Toorcon again this year, see if we can make good on the proposed trip across the border to Mexico.

Yeah defcon can be fun but a little expensive now that the pound is shit, although HAR2009 is a little closer to home and I'm sure will be just as fun.

If you go to Mexico and an drunk American asks you do go to a donkey show, just say no. Trust me on this one.

HAR2009 looks a little expensive on the ticket front, early bird tickets are €155, and Belgium and Holland aren't the most exciting places in the world in my mind.

I'll probably be going to the CCC again this year as I really enjoyed that, plus the dates are easy to get off for me. I'm kinda looking for something equivalent in the US to go to yearly, in the summer months obviously!

I really can't believe that the UK hasn't got a decent con, we should be ashamed of ourselves!

HAR2009 looks a little expensive on the ticket front, early bird tickets are €155, and Belgium and Holland aren't the most exciting places in the world in my mind.

I'll probably be going to the CCC again this year as I really enjoyed that, plus the dates are easy to get off for me. I'm kinda looking for something equivalent in the US to go to yearly, in the summer months obviously!

I really can't believe that the UK hasn't got a decent con, we should be ashamed of ourselves!

HAR2009 is a matter of a flight to Amsterdam and an hours train ride I believe, although you will also need to make your way from the train station so a taxi as well. I know a few people that are just driving, but yeah its not the easiest place to get to.

There has been a few attempts at a UK based con but each time people try and find sponsorship to cut ticket costs and they don't find enough, so they end up wanting BlackHat style prices for something that is untested and has content no where near as good. So they don't sell many tickets and they get canceled.

I see the issue as being no one is willing to front the money. If you could get 20 people to stump up £1000 for seed money I'm sure you could put something cool together but I don't see that happening as look at the London Hacker space planning, a few people are only giving a hundred quid at most and loaning a little bit of money, you would need £80 a month from everyone just to make it even worth while once its set up and you need at least 10k to get it off the ground and have a small back up fund.

People just don't want it enough or believe in it.

Yeah, I kinda guessed that those were the reasons for their not being one. Its still a shame though as there is a lot of potential in the UK but everyone seems to keep to themselves a lot more than in other countries.

Anyway, going back on topic, shall we say that the decision on the dates shall be made at the end of the week? Sunday? Just to keep things moving.

I went to the last DNSCon and as it turned out so did CyberEagle and someone else I know but we didn't know each other at the time. The event could have been good but at least one of the presenters didn't show so the talks were a bit up in the air.

The other thing I found was the atmosphere was quite elitist and cold, the complete opposite of all the US cons I've been to or seen.

The funniest thing for me was being accused of being a GCHQ spy. I think it may be because I had a yellow t-shirt on while everyone else was wearing black.

I would say July (as it's my 30th in June I feel SO old :( )

I would be willing to go to either but has anyone considered Manchester??

Anyway, as soon as it is confirmed post all the details and the hotels we are looking at and I will see you all their!

I would say July (as it's my 30th in June I feel SO old :( )

I would be willing to go to either but has anyone considered Manchester??

Anyway, as soon as it is confirmed post all the details and the hotels we are looking at and I will see you all their!

I'm fairly unwilling to go any more north than Birmingham, other than that everything else is good.

I think the July's have it!

I meant July in my previous post, sorry about that, bit brain dead with all the revision that I'm doing at the moment, you can only make Systems Verification so interesting.

Manchester's supposed to be nice (in places), but is there anything to do there?

Well depends on what you want to do. They have the Science Museum which is cool, and LOADS of bars. Plus all the UMIST stuff.

To me it does not matter too much, I will be happy to travel where ever. I just need to know, where and when :D

Anyway, seeing as I am noobe with regards to these meets, what the plan? What do you guys and gals get up to normally?

Whatever comes up, really, sort of chat about stuff and get to know each other maybe over food and/or drink, mess about with some tech, go visit an attraction or two or attend an event of some sort perhaps (we were thinking about perhaps going to a local 2600 meeting or something) and just kinda see what people wanna do really. Granted, some events are planned better than others, last time we held a meet in London it was somewhat less planned but still fun all the same.

I don't mind London or Manchester. Even though I live a lot closer to Manchester I've only ever been out in the shopping area so don't know what else is there to attract us.

I think to get this down, and to make sure Metatron turns up, lets go for London. At least we know there are things to do there and there is the Hackerspace and an active 2600 group. I don't know when it meets but I know someone who does stuff with a Defcon group as well, I could have an ask about that.