2009 UK meet up?

metatron

June or July?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. June or July, which month to have it on?

• June
    • July

Alright peeps, we need a hostel, and sharpish. Who's coming? Need a headcount so a hostel can be booked.

Also we need someone who can book the hostel, which I'd do if I wasn't so useless with organising things and using a phone in any way other than taking a screwdriver to it, so if anyone could volunteer then that'd be awesome.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright peeps, we need a hostel, and sharpish. Who's coming? Need a headcount so a hostel can be booked.

Also we need someone who can book the hostel, which I'd do if I wasn't so useless with organising things and using a phone in any way other than taking a screwdriver to it, so if anyone could volunteer then that'd be awesome.

I'm definitely it, but don't need a bed in a hostel.

I'm half tempted to suggest that a few of us meet up in London for a pint or 2 next weekend and sort it all out then.

Sounds good to me, although I don't think I'll be drinking again by then after last night.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so my schedule has been hectic to say the least as of late so I've really not been reading or able to to help. Anyway as I already had the Friday booked off for this, I've booked a hotel for myself for the 3/7/09, so the first Friday of next month as I didn't see anything concrete happening.

I'll be about all day Friday and hitting 2600 in the evening and I was thinking about going to Open Tech on the Saturday, although I'm not sure about Open Tech as they seem like a load of tree hugging hippies, although it might be fun asking needlessly complicated questions to the speakers and watching them squirming.

I'll be about if people want to grab something to eat, talk shit, have a few beers and play with electronic toys.

I'll be hitting 2600 as well, not been that many times before, first friday of the month always seems to be busy for me. Then I'll be at Open Tech, possibly helping out.

It was good last year and its not too 'tree hugging hippies', there were some good talks, but a lot of stuff was repeated. Hopefully with help it'll become something to be proud of if they keep improving.

I'll keep the rest of the weekend free, so hopefully we can go and do some geeky things.

I'll be hitting 2600 as well, not been that many times before, first friday of the month always seems to be busy for me. Then I'll be at Open Tech, possibly helping out.

It was good last year and its not too 'tree hugging hippies', there were some good talks, but a lot of stuff was repeated. Hopefully with help it'll become something to be proud of if they keep improving.

I'll keep the rest of the weekend free, so hopefully we can go and do some geeky things.

Yeah I know what you mean, I try to make it to London 2600 when I can but Fridays are not a good day for me and I tend to get the last train home from London Victoria so its not always easy for me to stick around that long. Same for things like the hacker space meeting and DEFCON, they have them on work nights, no one seems to like meeting on a Saturday.

I'm staying in a hotel on the Strand, like a 5 minute walk from the pub so I'll be about to the end, for next months. I'll do the OpenTech thing too, may as well

Yeah I know what you mean, I try to make it to London 2600 when I can but Fridays are not a good day for me and I tend to get the last train home from London Victoria so its not always easy for me to stick around that long. Same for things like the hacker space meeting and DEFCON, they have them on work nights, no one seems to like meeting on a Saturday.

I'm staying in a hotel on the Strand, like a 5 minute walk from the pub so I'll be about to the end, for next months. I'll do the OpenTech thing too, may as well

Trains out of London suck generally for getting away, I know if I want to get the last train back to the country from Victoria for me its 9pm, no one can do anything before 9pm, thats only half a day.

Living in the Docklands I'll be about all the time, served by a good night bus luckily, last time I went I only just managed to catch the last tube home and even that was by sheer fluke.

OpenTech should be good to meet people, don't have to worry about the talks too much and we can just do stuff there to see what its like. I'm sure we can always go AWOL if it is really crap this year.

Trains out of London suck generally for getting away, I know if I want to get the last train back to the country from Victoria for me its 9pm, no one can do anything before 9pm, thats only half a day.

Living in the Docklands I'll be about all the time, served by a good night bus luckily, last time I went I only just managed to catch the last tube home and even that was by sheer fluke.

OpenTech should be good to meet people, don't have to worry about the talks too much and we can just do stuff there to see what its like. I'm sure we can always go AWOL if it is really crap this year.

Yeah sounds good

Hey Everybody,

In terms of transportation, maybe we could try and organize some car shares or something if transports a problem, I unfortunatly am without car but I know a few people who want to go but can't for transport issues.

Also, are we wanting a base level of Skill on the computer??

Also, what about desktop pc's?? Or are we just saying laptops??

There's no minimum skill level, and feel free to bring computers if you like, but it'll be much more convenient to bring a laptop if you bring anything at all, especially since there will probably be a decent portion of the day spent out and about in pubs or going to 2600/OpenTech, going for lunch and whatever else.

Hey Everybody,

In terms of transportation, maybe we could try and organize some car shares or something if transports a problem, I unfortunatly am without car but I know a few people who want to go but can't for transport issues.

Also, are we wanting a base level of Skill on the computer??

Also, what about desktop pc's?? Or are we just saying laptops??

I would think you would be very lucky to get a car share, it doesn't look like there is going to be a huge attendance, best start looking at trains, planes and not automobiles.

No base level of skill, just require a healthy appetite for learning.

You could bring your desktop, however I don't know where you would leave it, we will be traveling by public transport for the majority of time, so you would have to carry it around as well. Plus we are likely to want to be mobile depending on the activities we get up to. So laptops best me thinks.

I would think you would be very lucky to get a car share, it doesn't look like there is going to be a huge attendance, best start looking at trains, planes and not automobiles.

No base level of skill, just require a healthy appetite for learning.

You could bring your desktop, however I don't know where you would leave it, we will be traveling by public transport for the majority of time, so you would have to carry it around as well. Plus we are likely to want to be mobile depending on the activities we get up to. So laptops best me thinks.

Yeah, I'm just bringing:

Laptop

GPS dongle

Wireless cards + selection of antennas

Ham Radio + TNC + bits

and I usually travel with a lot of tech.

I think its going to be 6 people at most and no one in their right mind drives into London.

As much as I'd love to come along I think I'm gonna have to bow out of this one I'm afraid, I haven't been able to arrange travel and accommodation as I would've liked, do have fun though. Will post if things change and I'm able to come, but I thought I'd best mention it before things get too far along.

As much as I'd love to come along I think I'm gonna have to bow out of this one I'm afraid, I haven't been able to arrange travel and accommodation as I would've liked, do have fun though. Will post if things change and I'm able to come, but I thought I'd best mention it before things get too far along.

Fair enough I think its mostly going to be London based people turning up anyway.

Where you coming from? I know a few good places to stay and I'm happy to book and share a room/dorm. It would be a shame for you to miss out.

Where you coming from? I know a few good places to stay and I'm happy to book and share a room/dorm. It would be a shame for you to miss out.

Dahn sahf, so they say, and it's really difficult to type that with an accent...

...but somewhere around the Bournemouth area, give or take a few miles.

It wouldn't be impossible for me to make it, but money's a bit shit atm, and weighing up the options I was falling more towards not going. I would like to attend, as long as there'll be more than like... 2 people going, and if I had to find a way then I probably could work something out. I figured it was probably best to let people know the likelihood of me not being there was very high, rather than continuing to say that I would be there.

I'll keep you updated if the chance increases at all, but it's getting a little close now, and train fares will start to ramp up as we get closer and advance fares get rarer.

The first year got organised so smoothly but this year is kind of dying. Organisation by committee just doesn't work and I think most people here either aren't good enough to organise something like this or are way to busy.

Dahn sahf, so they say, and it's really difficult to type that with an accent...

...but somewhere around the Bournemouth area, give or take a few miles.

It wouldn't be impossible for me to make it, but money's a bit shit atm, and weighing up the options I was falling more towards not going. I would like to attend, as long as there'll be more than like... 2 people going, and if I had to find a way then I probably could work something out. I figured it was probably best to let people know the likelihood of me not being there was very high, rather than continuing to say that I would be there.

I'll keep you updated if the chance increases at all, but it's getting a little close now, and train fares will start to ramp up as we get closer and advance fares get rarer.

Bournemouth is a doable day trip at the least, the trains going back are reasonably late as well so it wouldn't be a bad day.

The first year got organised so smoothly but this year is kind of dying. Organisation by committee just doesn't work and I think most people here either aren't good enough to organise something like this or are way to busy.

I'm quite happy to help organize somethings but accommodation isn't one of those things when I'm not going to be using it. I don't think the committee is the problem, more that getting anyone to be concrete on themselves is more difficult.

Hey guys, It might be too late now but I would be interested in coming along (if its still alive?)

I'm in Hope, Derbyshire but we have a train to Sheffield or Manchester

I have watched Hak5 since I was 13 :P bit of a fanboy!

I'm really interested in tech and learning new stuffs.

I'm only 16 though :(, but parents are fine, and I have finished all my exams, its something to do!

I'll probs bring a friend too, if thats ok?

Hey guys, It might be too late now but I would be interested in coming along (if its still alive?)

I'm in Hope, Derbyshire but we have a train to Sheffield or Manchester

I have watched Hak5 since I was 13 :P bit of a fanboy!

I'm really interested in tech and learning new stuffs.

I'm only 16 though :(, but parents are fine, and I have finished all my exams, its something to do!

I'll probs bring a friend too, if thats ok?

As we have all previously said, everyone is welcome and more the merrier. There is the general rule of 16 - 18 during the day 18+ all the time. So you may find yourself unable to join us in the evening, this may not be because we want to get rid of you but we may go places that don't admit under 18s. We certainly won't be buying you alcohol and no offense, but we aren't babysitters easier.

I think we all just hope to get to do some cool stuff and learn alot as well as have a hell of a lot of fun.