2009 UK meet up?

metatron

June or July?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. June or July, which month to have it on?

• June
    • July

I say go now, but biased as I want June.

metatron, just noticed we share a thing for capitalising months and days, very few other people do it

lol, it was what I was told to do in school, I guess it stuck. I'm sure most people that will come don't use the forums but are still on IRC.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well 5 to 2 as of now. How long do people want to leave it?. We could call it June 5th to the 7th, so we have the Friday to relax, gel, maybe hit up 2600 and see how far a London based hacker space has come along, or whatever the group decides and then have all day Saturday and Sunday afternoon for whatever.

Once something a little solid such as a date is decided we can see who can make it. Then pick a venue based on size of the group and start getting deposits to confirm who is going.

Fine by me.

As for capitalizing months and days I normally let my spell checker do that! :D

I'm not sure how many people are coming that will have a radio licence but for anyone that does or maybe just wants to contact us I'll be operating on 462.5625MHz at 5Watts most the time. If you don't have a licence I can pass out a few FRS/GMRS radio's as they get better coverage than PMR446 stuff and don't have much traffic in the UK on that frequency.

I'm happy enough to let people play around with some of my Ham/radio kit too.

We will also need to exchange phone numbers once we have an idea who is coming.

Always been interested in ham radio stuff but never had the chance to get involved with it. Will be interesting to see how it all works.

I think I only got into it as I like having a way of communicating long dissidences with out having to rely on cellular networks or cable/IP based networks.

Ham radio still interests me, perhaps sometime this summer I'll try a little. Problem is in this society, with the cheapness and availability of high speed GSM networks, it has the chance of turning into a dying art.

Ham radio still interests me, perhaps sometime this summer I'll try a little. Problem is in this society, with the cheapness and availability of high speed GSM networks, it has the chance of turning into a dying art.

If there is interest and this happens, I could probably bring a portable oscilloscope, multimeter, temperature controlled soldering iron and so on, maybe even a logic analyser if people are interested. I have a draw full of random connectors and wires so if no one is into hardware hacking you could just add antennas to nearly anything with a little circuit reworking.

Such as

3339080464_962d4d06be.jpg

Which is an extra I have kept aside for moonlit

If there is interest and this happens, I could probably bring a portable oscilloscope, multimeter, temperature controlled soldering iron and so on, maybe even a logic analyser if people are interested. I have a draw full of random connectors and wires so if no one is into hardware hacking you could just add antennas to nearly anything with a little circuit reworking.

Which is an extra I have kept aside for moonlit

Don't forget what happened last time you brought lots of nice shiny kit across the pond. You don't want to lose any more stuff.

Don't forget what happened last time you brought lots of nice shiny kit across the pond. You don't want to lose any more stuff.

lol, yeah last time I had to fly in from work this time I'm coming in on foot, well train. But yeah don't want to get shit nicked by non group members.

Can I change my vote to July. A client who I was supposed to be working for at the start of May just moved the dates to the start of June and unfortunately it isn't in the UK so I wouldn't be able to nip in for part of the weekend.

So with moving digininja to July thats 7 to 6 for July.

I have to say I did vote for June because it was my suggestion, but I'm not fussed either way. So shall we call it July? First weekend being 3rd, 4th and 5th, Friday to Sunday respectively.

Can we do our own version? Anyone got access to any old nuclear bunkers in the UK?

I know a storm drain that has a cavern at one end that may take 10 people if we all squeeze together.

Well the only nuclear bunker that I have been to is The Bunker, which is an awesome place, but I don't think they'll want us lot hanging out there! It looks, feels and sounds like Half Life 1, except for in the server rooms.

Closest thing we could get in London is a disused Tube tunnel, but they are pretty well locked off for a number of reasons.

I think the original reason for the beginning of the month Moonlit was so that we could all attend the London 2600 meeting on the Friday. Lets see if anyone says they are going to Toorcamp.

Whenever is fine by me. Cybereagle's company has access or did have access to a bunker. I think you can only go to Toorcamp if you went to Toorcon last year as its a first try, so I'm guessing not many UK guys are going unless they are talking.

Toorcamp is open to all. I thought it was a closed meet but the site seems to be offering tickets for sale to anyone.

The coins they were talking about at the last Toorcon must be for another event.

Toorcamp is open to all. I thought it was a closed meet but the site seems to be offering tickets for sale to anyone.

The coins they were talking about at the last Toorcon must be for another event.

Yeah thought the whole coin thing was this thing. Life is a little crazy at the moment so as soon as everyone works out a date, I'll book the Friday off which will not be a problem. International cons have gone out the window this year as they require me to take at least 4 days off which is just not going to happen, even if I'm out there for work.