Who is in charge of the internet?

Eviltechie

Well who is in charge of the darn thing? I need to give them a piece of my mind.

ICANN, put a limit on domain parking. It is like buying a house and never living in and hoping someone wants it. Not cool.

IANA, why must I pay $$$ for a static IP?

Comcast and other ISPs who do things to the traffic, why must we suffer under your tearany?

Any why isn't the internet free? Wasn't that the point? If I want to host my own mail/web/etc. server, why must I pay? It defeats the purpose. Why do I have to go through Comcast, TWC, Earthlink, etc? Why can't I just plug in directly?

Well who is in charge of the darn thing? I need to give them a piece of my mind.

ICANN, put a limit on domain parking. It is like buying a house and never living in and hoping someone wants it. Not cool.

IANA, why must I pay $$$ for a static IP?

Comcast and other ISPs who do things to the traffic, why must we suffer under your tearany?

Any why isn't the internet free? Wasn't that the point? If I want to host my own mail/web/etc. server, why must I pay? It defeats the purpose. Why do I have to go through Comcast, TWC, Earthlink, etc? Why can't I just plug in directly?

becasue the hardware the Internet runs on that has an owner who wants to see a return on investment.

You could always be a prick and hack some one elses internet connection. But that would be illegal and probably get you a fail bus ticket straight to jail if you get caught.

The original point was a network that could at least offer a chance that the bits that weren't turned into softly glowing pools of trinitite could still communicate and function as a whole. The fact that 50 years later we're using it to share funny cat pictures with people on the far side of the planet is just a spin off.

Edit: Life is all about the money, always has been, always will be (until we reach the point of a post-scarcity culture, which digital information is actually starting to produce)

The internet and all of the universe as we know it are just part of a simulation made out of a bunch of rocks in a desert.

a_bunch_of_rocks.png

no one owns the internet and you can "plug" in directly

you just have to find out who is the bandwidth provider for your ISP then just contact them and get a direct connection for your self, you will get better speeds that way

ISP's mainly just buy a super fast connection then partition it off and sell it to other people in order to make profits, the problem is isp's are generally greedy and will start selling bandwidth they don't have

thats why with some isps' you will see your internet speed drop by like 80% in the afternoon.

comcast is known to do this

so wouldn't you want to have all that bandwidth to your self instead of having it shared with like 200,000 other people?

just know that the monthly fees will cost you your arms and legs + arms and legs that you don't have, and then some

but if you get the same connection that your ISP has which it uses to share with all other customers, you will be able to download files much faster and torrents will work great and you will get much lower pings because you will skip much of the lag from going through a ISP

actually as far as cable, I thought it was more of the topology issue, rather than a bandwidth issue (i.e. everyone in your neighborhood on cable is essentially just sharing the same connection) where as dsl is your OWN line (d.s.l.- Digital Subscriber Line)

BTW: Im on bellsouth (well... AT&T) DSL and even though I dont have the 'cool guy static ip account' My IP Address has not changed since I first got dsl 3 years ago, and I have run servers (not many people visited) and they never seemed to have a problem with it *btw, it has never, NEVER slowed down unless the issue was the server I was reaching*

well technically the internet is just a giant network of computers. so who ever owns the network hardware would own the internet (so that would be a million different companies). the whole thing is, before the internet became all about dsl and cable there was dial up and before that it was just people with phone lines hooked into a computer that people dialed the number and connected to 1 computer at a time (so back then it was all run on the phone network so the phone co would have owned the internet.. but that was kinda before the internet existed). so technically if you wanted to host a free server all you would have to do is get a phone line for it but that still isnt free technically..

there are different services like http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/ which will work but isnt considered professional. but you still have to pay for internet service from a service provider then you have the bandwidth limit issues.

actually as far as cable, I thought it was more of the topology issue, rather than a bandwidth issue (i.e. everyone in your neighborhood on cable is essentially just sharing the same connection) where as dsl is your OWN line (d.s.l.- Digital Subscriber Line)

BTW: Im on bellsouth (well... AT&T) DSL and even though I dont have the 'cool guy static ip account' My IP Address has not changed since I first got dsl 3 years ago, and I have run servers (not many people visited) and they never seemed to have a problem with it *btw, it has never, NEVER slowed down unless the issue was the server I was reaching*

Most DSL lines are somewhere between 20:1 and 50:1 contention for your lets say 8Mb connection, which is backended onto a faster connection which would allow a 5:1 contention ratio without impacting speeds. So you don't actually have the entire line to yourself, you share a faster than listed connection with 50ish other people. This is where p2p comes in, because the ISP banks on no one using their connection to the max and when they do it causes problems. This is partly because they failed to invest in the infrastructure required for faster speeds and partly because the cost of providing a 1:1 8mb connection would be prohibative for most people.

This is stupid I know, I was thinking for a good 10 min once on how the band width providers would connect to the internet, thinking that the internet was some ball of stuff. A good 10 min, then I was like "OMFG wires" and it ended there.

Really the internet is just like your home network, but just BIGGER.

Al Gore = EPIC FAIL!

Global Warming = Uber Sniper Fail!

Polar Bears = Still not drowning... and != cute and cuddly

SMOG = EPIC AMMOUNT OF CRAPPY IDLING CARS NEEDING A TUNEUP FAIL!

High Speed Internet = WIN!

:lol:

I was thinking about setting up my own ISP. Once you get the money for the direct line from wherever you are pretty much set. Thats the biggest cost.

my dad lives on top of a mountain that is very heavily populated, so I told him he should get DSl with about 10mbps, 3 wireless N routers, and charge people $50 a month for wireless internet, and it would work from anywhere in town too! :D

my dad lives on top of a mountain that is very heavily populated, so I told him he should get DSl with about 10mbps, 3 wireless N routers, and charge people $50 a month for wireless internet, and it would work from anywhere in town too! :D

If he can get a DSL conenction, whats stopping everyone else from doing that?