Rollin' out my own linux distro

shido

Ok so im stuck lol...i need to remove packages from my xubuntu linux but i dont know what packages are essential for linux to run correctly for example im guessing xserver-xorg shouldnt be removed or acpi which is probably package for support for acpi, or important commands like sudo, or other important things like iptables. So what exactly are ALL the things that i have to keep in ubuntu??? In other words i just want to sit with the kernel and other important packages,i dont need games or a gui etc.

The reason im asking is so that i can remove all things that are not really needed including the xfce interface and put fluxbox instead

PLEASE MAKE A LIST OF 'ALL' ESSENTIALS needed for a linux

**Dont worry of telling me step by step on remastering the cd coz i know how to already and im at the stage of removing packages**

it seems illogical to start wih a distro with a bunch of packages already... it would make sense to start with something basic like just straight debain. Then just add what packages you need to it. Ubuntu is based off debain.. .and if you know what your doing you should be able to add the Ubuntu kernels pretty easy...

it seems illogical to start wih a distro with a bunch of packages already... it would make sense to start with something basic like just straight debain. Then just add what packages you need to it. Ubuntu is based off debain.. .and if you know what your doing you should be able to add the Ubuntu kernels pretty easy...

Btw, it's spelled "Debian" ;) http://www.debian.org/

LOL haha its funny you say that coz about an hour later after pondering about the whole remastering thing i thought i should just start with debian instead of ubuntu/xubuntu co then all those packages wont be instaled like you say. lol but ok ill make one after i finish this xubuntu

Another question:

Why the fuck would you want to roll out your own distro?

I mean, you hardly understand anything about packaging, you don't know anything about Linux as a whole, and I'm guessing your kernel skills aren't very polished either. The whole point of a distribution, is to have a set of tools, utilities, kernel patches, and software, that will give that distribution a unique flavour. There are so many different distributions out there, that you are bound to find one that fits you.

If you want a name for it though: YASFUD

Yet Another Shitty Fucking Useless Distribution

Another question:

I mean, you hardly understand anything about packaging, you don't know anything about Linux as a whole, and I'm guessing your kernel skills aren't very polished either. The whole point of a distribution, is to have a set of tools, utilities, kernel patches, and software, that will give that distribution a unique flavour. There are so many different distributions out there, that you are bound to find one that fits you.

Seriously you really need to get out more and work on your people skills.........

Seconded. Crash, you need to chill out a bit. I'll agree with your sentiment, but while it's an ambitious task and one important to get right, you can't honestly blame those who are less experienced for wanting to take a crack at it. I personally believe that there are already way too many distributions and this is both part of the reason that yet another would be a bad idea (unless it overcomes the shortcomings of other distros) and a good reason that many would consider making their own.

Linux, as I hear and see often, is about choice, about writing your own code, about "if it doesn't do what you want, make it do it", about everything being there for the taking (and for the modification). This to me all points to "if you wanna roll your own distro, you go right ahead!" and again, while I admit that I can see how much of a task it really is to someone who's inexperienced with Linux-based OSs/the Linux kernel/drivers/everything else that makes up Linux, it's practically begging to be done.

Another question:

I could go on like a lil kid and wana fight but im not like that but dont go on with a person thats trying, im half way done i know theres thousands of linux out there but i want one with my choice of packages and my choice of desktop environment. I might not be so skilled but every day is a learning experience(FOR EVERYONE OF US) so before you open your bigmouth just put your input that atleast sounds helpful. Dont think you better then someone else, no matter how good you are there will always be someone better then you...

Anyways thanx for the rest of they guys' inputs im currently still reading quite abit and hopefully i can understand this better. BTW does anyone have any ebooks on linux?? Thanx again

Everyone is being so harsh to the poor guy.

Yes I agree he's a newb. But what better way to learn, than to try?

Have a play wth LFS or DFS, as suggested above. It can be fun, and you'll more than likely learn a thing or two about Linux along the way.

I don't know of any eBooks, but this site is quite a useful resource.

You could totally do this with K/X/Ubuntu and Remastersys. Remove all the BS you don't need (Games, Office programs, email clients, etc) and install only the tools you need (Kismet, Aircrack, airsnort, CoWPAtty, etc).

If you dont ask questions you dont learn after all everyone started somewhere.

Why bother having a message board if your ignorent and stupid enough to think everyone else should know better? That attitude will change really quickly when you want something answered......

I have only just started using Linux and I am very interested in this topic even if certain people are not.

However, I would completely forget about taking Ubuntu to pieces and trying to turn it into something else. Not only are you making this harder but you will end up with a distro that echoes alot of the faults of Ubuntu.

However, I would completely forget about taking Ubuntu to pieces and trying to turn it into something else. Not only are you making this harder but you will end up with a distro that echoes alot of the faults of Ubuntu.

Just curious, but what faults are you talking about? If you are talking about the shit brown color, I totally get it :lol:

You could totally do this with K/X/Ubuntu and Remastersys. Remove all the BS you don't need (Games, Office programs, email clients, etc) and install only the tools you need (Kismet, Aircrack, airsnort, CoWPAtty, etc).

Im doing this at the moment :D im gona work on dsl since its a debian with almost nothing so ill build on that, i know ppl will think its dumb coz it defeats the whole purposes of DSL but i want to build a full os and learn a little in the process

shido i commend you because damn were not born with the knowledge.

hell everything i know techno wise is self taught ive never taken a lesson and simply learned by messing with something till it breaks and then working out how to fix it and thats both hardware / software wise.

ok even if you dont get your perfect distro out of what your doing the learning curve will be more than benificial

and you will come out of this knowing a damn lot more than you bought to the table when you started.

dont listen to the neigh sayers and keep us posted on the outcommings even if its a major fail then atleast where you failed others can learn from

mmm thanx tactix, your post inspired me more now

thanx alot im just trying i know im no where near perfect but im learning slowly slowly, As i progress with the remaster ill keep you posted and well i made this thread so i can also find out what would be great programs to put in a distro that doesnt usually come standard so input would be great

Thanx again

I would use the latest kernel, then make sure to add some sort of package manager like YAST or something, so that you have ease of use and setup features. One of the biggest things I find hard about linux is when installing software that chains to hundreds of files that depend on one another, but do not come in one tarball or setup file. So a key feature fot me is a nice setup manager and the rest is just butter.

Whatever you end up doing, be sure to document it all and share with us so we can see your progress and give it a try as well...One thing that might be nice is a vote on what programs or features the Hak5 community can't live without. That might help in deciding what to throw in there from day one, and where to trim the fat for what might no tbe needed.

Thats a good idea oh wise yoda lol im just kidin,kewl avtar btw. Well like i said its a good idea i think ill post another thread to check whats the most used applications, whats the most widely used distro so that i can remaster that, and whats the most useless and unwanted features.

BUT i got one problem, whats gona happen with these packages that have restrictions like some codecs and stuff, ive noticed that some packages go over restrictions if installed in some countries and thats why those apps are not found in distros by default, im sure you know what im talking about

Um, I have no idea what you are talking aobut actually. I never ran into any problems with a linux distro not having open source alternatives to anything on the commercial market, so codec issues and such should have alternatives to anything not released to export countries. Plus, I'm sure you can find packages for them on some alternative repositories, maybe off the beaten path, and add that url to your list of distribution/package sites. Thing about these update managers is that you can add urls to sites of your choosing, you just have to find some of them on your own. Some are commented out of the conf files from the get go, so check them first for any files you may want to install.

yeah i uncomment all of them when i remaster. As for the restrictions maybe its just in my country lol coz i remeber when i installed codecs of some sort it gave me a message about being illegal or restricted in some countries

Im doing this at the moment :D im gona work on dsl since its a debian with almost nothing so ill build on that, i know ppl will think its dumb coz it defeats the whole purposes of DSL but i want to build a full os and learn a little in the process

Friggin' awesome! Let me know how it turns out :-)